Solar power is getting cheaper every year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I mentioned in another thread, those greenies will be the first ones to scream bloody murder once they are unable to afford their electric bill or to charge their electric car. Of course they will be all surprised when it happens because they were always told half of the story that wind and solar are free. Some members in this and other threads are trying to give the full picture to the whole renewable energy movement, but as can be clearly seen, a lot of people simply do not want to listen, or do not understand the topic.
For an average Joe/Jane, he/she can easily picture free wind blowing or free sun shining during the day, so yeah, the energy captured should be very cheap. The moment you start talking about storage, transmission, peak times etc. they are totally lost.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
They do plug into your house wiring so they are connected to the grid. Basically your house will use it before it gets to the grid though for the most part. The inverter needs grid power to work though, so it shuts down when that is lost. No need for switch gear.

Let's say most people shouldn't consider a non certified inverter for liability and fire hazard reason.
What makes you think they are non certified?

They do plug into your house wiring so they are connected to the grid. Basically your house will use it before it gets to the grid though for the most part. The inverter needs grid power to work though, so it shuts down when that is lost. No need for switch gear.

Let's say most people shouldn't consider a non certified inverter for liability and fire hazard reason.

As an electrician, how does the feeding back into the grid comply to your local codes ?

For me as long as the system is inspected and approved by the power co-op that is the only thing needed. As I said when the grid power is down the inverter shuts off.

How record large-scale solar growth is changing utility IPPs

Maybe it's the old adage “if you can’t beat ‘em, join ‘em" — utilities are rapidly becoming the biggest players in the large-scale solar market, new data show.

The solar industry is on track to shatter growth records this year by adding 14.5 GW of photovoltaic (PV) capacity, a 94% increase over the 7.5 GW installed in 2015.

Typically, first quarter growth is the year's weakest, but solar developers added 1,665 MW in Q1 2016. That was 64% of all new U.S. electric generating capacity for Q1 and towered over the 18 MW of natural gas that came online in the same timeframe. It brought the cumulative installed U.S. solar capacity to 27.5 GW.

Utility-scale solar was 43% of capacity installed in Q1 2016 and is expected to account for nearly three-fourths of the new capacity for the year. Utilities themselves are expected to play the dominant role in the build-out, according to the recently-released Q2 2016 U.S. Solar Market Insight update from GTM Research and the Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA).

Residential PV growth was 34% higher than in Q1 2015 but grew only 1% over its Q4 2015 performance in Q1 2016, after averaging an 11% quarter to quarter growth throughout the previous year. Flat growth in California, which is half the residential solar market, was a major factor, but that market is expected to bounce back, according to the update.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
DEWA is an established power company of Dubai. This 800 megawatts solar farm will not be online for sometime, currently they have their electricity generated from several power plants.

Dubai is in Middle-East it is very hot from noon until 10-11 PM, it cools down a little from midnight until sunrise, then it gets hotter every hour.

Peak power consumption is from around 1-2PM until 10-11PM, to avoid black out(s) DEWA has enough power plants that run at full capacity to satisfy peak demand. I don't know how many power plants DEWA owns or how much electricity they supply to their customers in 1 peak hour, but I guess that it is much more than 800 megawatts.

What happen to all power plants at off-peak hours ? All power plants run at max as it was at peak hours ? Only some power plants are running to match demand from midnight till morning, the rest would be idle or operate at much lower rate. Then they start to ramp up in the morning running at max capacity at peak demand at around noon again.

Now, when the 800 megawatts solar power is online next year or the year after, it will replace some of the current power plants during daytime, but none of the current power plants will be decommissioned, they will be maintain to be able to use in case of emergency. The benefit of this solar power is reduce pollution during the day, and at US 2.99 cents it is hard to beat.

Summary, DEWA is an established power company ran by people who know the business of supply and demand of electricity in any given 24 hours time frame. They know that some days solar will produce ZERO power and the same for wind, so they need back up. They should know how to incorporate this 800 megawatts to their total power.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Like I mentioned in another thread, those greenies will be the first ones to scream bloody murder once they are unable to afford their electric bill or to charge their electric car. Of course they will be all surprised when it happens because they were always told half of the story that wind and solar are free. Some members in this and other threads are trying to give the full picture to the whole renewable energy movement, but as can be clearly seen, a lot of people simply do not want to listen, or do not understand the topic.
For an average Joe/Jane, he/she can easily picture free wind blowing or free sun shining during the day, so yeah, the energy captured should be very cheap. The moment you start talking about storage, transmission, peak times etc. they are totally lost.

Do you know the topic of this thread ? It is clearly stated:
"Solar power is getting cheaper every year"

Did you read my post above ?

DEWA's customers will not get 2.99 cents/kWh. But there is no evidence DEWA's customers will get raped after this 800 megawatts from solar get online in the near future.

DEWA does have enough power to supply its customers 24/7, this 800 megawatts is to replace some power plants when it is generate electricity, which is during daytime only. In the evening the idle plants will resume supplying power.

As of now DEWA didn't announced any plan of storage for this 800 megawatts of solar power.

The topic is very simple and clear, it is impossible to misunderstand, but you still have a hard time to understand what the topic is about.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Do you know the topic of this thread ? It is clearly stated:
"Solar power is getting cheaper every year"

Did you read my post above ?

DEWA's customers will not get 2.99 cents/kWh. But there is no evidence DEWA's customers will get raped after this 800 megawatts from solar get online in the near future.

DEWA does have enough power to supply its customers 24/7, this 800 megawatts is to replace some power plants when it is generate electricity, which is during daytime only. In the evening the idle plants will resume supplying power.

As of now DEWA didn't announced any plan of storage for this 800 megawatts of solar power.

The topic is very simple and clear, it is impossible to misunderstand, but you still have a hard time to understand what the topic is about.

Jimmy,
the problem is that you post links about stuff that you clearly have zero understanding of, then lecture other posted on the EXACT terminology that you used in an effort to railroad it back to "yes Jimmy, it's really really cheap and green to charge your Tesla isn't it ?", largely to prevent yourself from having to understand the topic.

Yes, when disruptive, it's cheap.

But As it forces tradition power out of the grid, Solar and Wind HAVE to step up to the plate, and provide actual power 24/7, and the grid stability that they (wind and solar) rely on the thermals providing for their very operation.

So discussion about 4 times the nameplate rating, and the expense of stoarge are ENTIRELY pertinent to a thread on "Solar Power is Getting Cheaper Every Year", as when you get your wish, it will be VERY VERY expensive, and the peak prices will be from storage, through the night, not when there's excess supply during the day.

It's pretty simple, have a think about what happens when coal is gone, and the sun only shines 8 hours a day.

I'm sitting here looking at the wholesale power prices here in Oz.

The two states that have gone massiveley for renewables, at 7PM on a Saturday night (that's pretty off peak) are sitting at 12.5c/KWh, and 31.5c/KWh wholesale prices. There's 1,500MW of wind that was here yesterday, and isn't today...The coal power stations that have closed down aren't re-opening, ever to replace it. They are replacing the coal power with another 500MW of wind...which agin would be producing nearly zero MW in the current wind.

The state that they are connected to running brown coal has been dragged up to 10.6c/KWh wholesale, as they are having to provide power to cover the power station closures that have taken place.

My state is sitting at 5c.

The discussion on how cheap solar is HAS to include discussion on what happens when it moves traditional power out.

Or (and again) you are burying your head in the sand, and living in an imaginary world.

I don't care what some puff piece says is going to happen in Dubai, I live in Canada and care what happens here. And right now the Ontario's electric consumers are simply getting raped because of the renewables. I knew it was bad, but didn't know it was over 70% bad as per Overkill's recent thread. And we still have plenty of nukes and no batteries to jack up the costs even more.

Given what I see happening in Ontario and Shannow's reports on what's happening in Australia, I have no reasons to believe that renewables are going to be cheap. It's a pipe dream sold to the plebs.

I don't care what some puff piece says is going to happen in Dubai, I live in Canada and care what happens here. And right now the Ontario's electric consumers are simply getting raped because of the renewables. I knew it was bad, but didn't know it was over 70% bad as per Overkill's recent thread. And we still have plenty of nukes and no batteries to jack up the costs even more.

Given what I see happening in Ontario and Shannow's reports on what's happening in Australia, I have no reasons to believe that renewables are going to be cheap. It's a pipe dream sold to the plebs.
Sounds political to me. In the US all power is sold at the same price per market area.

Sounds political to me. In the US all power is sold at the same price per market area.

retail...

What goes into building the final price starts at the Cost of generation, then transmission and distribution...you don't even understand your own bill

Originally Posted By: Shannow

retail...

What goes into building the final price starts at the Cost of generation, then transmission and distribution...you don't even understand your own bill
Yes I do. The power cost is the same no matter the source.

Believe what you want. If it were market driven, then there would be ZERO solar and wind, period.
And in the US there would be zero nuclear also. Nat Gas is the great game changer here.

From what I see on the internet (yes, I did look on the internet for about 1 hr after seeing your idea). With all those Smart Meter deployed the utility will know if you are feeding back something into the grid without telling them ahead of time, and installation that is not by a certified electrician and equipment not on their approved list. UL certified or not and whether they have anti-islanding protection or not is irelevent if your utility demand you shut it down, or spend money having it done right. And if fire happens in your house this setup will VOID your insurance.

Are you a home owner with a mortgage by any chance?

Believe what you want. If it were market driven, then there would be ZERO solar and wind, period.

Except when there are mandates in area that demand certain percentage of its delivered power must be from green energy. So it depends on whether that is considered market driven or not.

I support green energy btw, but I do not believe it is always market driven.

Well sure they power co will know it. You have to have them come inspect it before the net metering will start.

Yes I am a home owner but no mortgage.

You have to have them come inspect it before the net metering will start.

Yes I am a home owner but no mortgage.

So how much would it cost if it is done their way? Any savings afterward? I'd imagine the ebay stuff isn't so cheap after adding these overhead.

$2500 for a 1000w system UL approved and inspected.

Not the $1.5/watt you claimed earlier.
Not the system I talked about earlier either.

Keeping with the thread, how much would a 1000w solar system with inverter have cost 5 years ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back