Lighter or heavier o-20 oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hallo Bitog.

As mentioned in earlier threats. I am on the lookout for a good 0w-20 oil. The application is a Suzuki swift.

The number of 0w-20 oils on the Danish market is pretty small. Therefor I started looking on German eBay. They has a lot more to offer.

At the moment I am leaning towards Motul 8100 Eco-lite 0w-20 api SN/GF5. And magnatec pro 0w-20 that carries the same approvals. Outsiders are Rowe 0w-20 and addinol 0w-20 both pretty cheap. And made in Germany. But I know nothing about the brands.

The Castrol is a bit heavier at 100 Celsius then the Motul. 8.9 vs 8.5 for the Motul.

My question is. Does the small difference mean anything? I kind of would like to go for a heavy oil within the 20 weigh range.

On the other hand the Motul is advertised as 100% ester oil. And according to the TDS has a HTHS at 2.7. Castrol don,t inform on the HTHS.

And finally I have a personal preference towards Castrol... I simply don't trust them.. For reason that are hard to put any logic into. But I had used it 2 times. Before in 2 different engines. And both developed timing chain noise within 2000 km from the change to Castrol. On the other hand. Motul is extremely respected for there MC oils here in Denmark.

So does the difference in weight at 100 Celsius mean anything ?

Thanks all and have a great weekend.

Søren Hansen

Originally Posted By: shDK

So does the difference in weight at 100 Celsius mean anything ?
Søren Hansen

In my judgement no since after 500 to 1000 miles shear could make the whole point moot. As you mentioned the real factor is the HTHS and it sounds like the Motul is just fine in that regard. Since Castrol won't tell us actual HTHS which is frustrating (and I like Castrol products) I think you're better off with the Motul. Even though I'm betting the Castrol is a fine lube also just from the wording of your post I can't see you being happy with it.

shDK,
We've bought a new Suzuki Celerio. It wouldn't be everyone's idea of the perfect car but it suits us. What is undeniable about this car is it's amazing fuel economy. The engine is barely run-in yet and already the car is averaging 73.3 mpg by the trip computer (and yes this accords with the mpg calculated from tank fills & the odometer).
There are reasons why the mpg should be on the big side. The car is very light and the engine has a relatively high compression ratio of 11:1. However I suspect part of the reason for the exceptional fuel economy is the 0W-20 oil Suzuki use at their factory in Thailand.
In the UK, Suzuki recommends Castrol Magnatec Professional GF 0W-20 and I expect this is what gets used when you take your car into a dealer for servicing. However, based on some stuff I've read on the internet, I reckon the factory fill 0W-20 is coming from Idemitsu. One fresh oil analysis I saw puts the Moly content at 996 ppm which is very high. Only the Japanese use such high Moly concentrations. You certain!y wouldn't need that level of Moly to get through the GF-5 tests which are relatively simple to pass so this oil is unique and worth looking out for...

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
run the Motul or Castrol

Yeah, I'd run either of the two that is the least expensive, but would go Motul if they're the same price roughly...

Originally Posted By: SonofJoe
shDK,
We've bought a new Suzuki Celerio. It wouldn't be everyone's idea of the perfect car but it suits us. What is undeniable about this car is it's amazing fuel economy. The engine is barely run-in yet and already the car is averaging 73.3 mpg by the trip computer (and yes this accords with the mpg calculated from tank fills & the odometer).
There are reasons why the mpg should be on the big side. The car is very light and the engine has a relatively high compression ratio of 11:1. However I suspect part of the reason for the exceptional fuel economy is the 0W-20 oil Suzuki use at their factory in Thailand.
In the UK, Suzuki recommends Castrol Magnatec Professional GF 0W-20 and I expect this is what gets used when you take your car into a dealer for servicing. However, based on some stuff I've read on the internet, I reckon the factory fill 0W-20 is coming from Idemitsu. One fresh oil analysis I saw puts the Moly content at 996 ppm which is very high. Only the Japanese use such high Moly concentrations. You certain!y wouldn't need that level of Moly to get through the GF-5 tests which are relatively simple to pass so this oil is unique and worth looking out for...

We really like our little Suzuki as well. The little 1.2 dual jet engine makes it no racing machine. But it is a pretty beefie little engine that has a nice wide powerband. And it just loves going redlining. My parents have a Suzuki SX4 1.6. It is 7 years old. And it has bin extremely reliable. Only service parts and brake parts have bin changed.

But..back to the oil question. Unfortunately I cannot find the idemitsu oil anywhere. I can however buy the original Suzuki OEM 0w-20 at the dealer. Maybe it is idemitsu in Suzuki botles. It is however quit expensive. Exactly 115,47 USD for 4 liters. I don,t steel other people's money, so I see no reason the dealer should steel mine.

Does anybody know if Motul use moly in there oils?

shDK,
You can get the Celerio with the 1.0 litre DualJet engine here but not with the semi-automatic AGS gearbox so ours has the bog-standard single injector 1.0 litre K10B engine (but with the increased compression ratio). It's the fact that such an ordinary car with such and ordinary engine can give such extraordinary fuel economy that makes me think there must be something very special about the FF 0W-20.

I don't know but suspect the own-brand Suzuki 0W-20 is indeed made by Idemitsu. Here is something I found on the internet. It's in Russian and it's either a fresh, or used (can't tell) analysis of 0W-20 from a Suzuki Grand Vitara...

http://www.oil-club.ru/forum/topic/17144...-posle-11000km/

Here's something else (again in Russian) that seems to be what's on the back of a can of Suzuki OW-20...

http://suzuki-nn.org/articles/item/38-originalnoe-maslo-suzuki

What I spotted straight away was the 996 ppm Moly content.This is HUGE! Typically only the Japanese use such high levels of Moly in engine oil (primarily to get great fuel economy) which makes me think this must be from Idemitsu. The big downside of using this much Moly is the disproportionately high cost burden it puts on the oil. This is reflected in the cost you see at your dealer.

When the Celerio goes for its first service in September, I will probably get a sample of the used oil that comes out if the sump and a sample of the fresh 0W-20 they add to the engine and see how they compare.

Yes, the presence of the spot test suggests this is a used oil analysis. Interestingly, the oil after 11,000 km looks to me to be viscometrically identical to the fresh oil (assuming what's on the back of the can is fresh oil data). Given that this oil is probably a very stable, super-synthetic, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the oil was chemically the same at 11,000 km to what it is fresh. The inference is the 996 ppm of Moly is a deliberate act of formulation, not something that happens in the engine.

Interesting, but in the OP's situation I'd run the Motul. The Danish market can seem small. Not everything is easy to get...

I have used Motul products for high performance applications for many years, and they are very good oils. I never have a serious reservation about Motul, except for the USA prices, which I gripe about, but pay ... And I have access to hundreds of oils of one kind or another. I just grit my teeth and pay for the Motul knowing it will do the trick when asked.

I think I have settled on the Motul. Seems like a good oil. And my personal opinion about Castrol makes it a easy choise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back