Opinions on SenSen Speedy Struts

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Altima is in need of a suspension upgrade, front struts need replacing. Does anyone have any experience with SenSen speedy struts that come as a complete assembly: strut, spring and mount ?

Pre-assembled strut assemblies generally use low quality parts that are not truly application specific. They have a tendency to be very problematic. To make matters worse, Sensen is not a premium brand by any means.

If your Altima truly needs front struts, I would order the OE strut from the dealer with a new boot and new mount, and re-assemble it. If the OE strut is too expensive, then try KYB or Tokico. Pep Boys will disassemble and reassemble your strut for about $20/unit.

I've bought sensen struts for my camry, two neons, and shocks for my HHR. They've all been great.

I'd be cautious of quick struts, as critic states.

Spring compression is actually easy enough. If you're looking to save money, up your skillset.

I bought a pair of Monroe ready struts for the front of my Corolla and Gabriels ready struts for the rear.

Took me 3 returns and replacements with RockAuto to get Monroe's that were assembled properly. The grommets were curled. No idea how they ever got our of the factory like that. The Gabriels squeak horribly whenever the temperature dips below 60F.

Didn't know about Pep Boys but I'll go that route next time.

I've never recommended that people attempt jobs past their skill or comfort level. But if you have the skill and tools to properly lift and support the car and have the skills to remove and install quick struts, you certainly have the skill to compress the spring, if you have a safe set of spring compressors.

You can buy a quality strut, and a quality mount for less than a quick strut.

I would not install quick struts on a 2013 vehicle. Sensen are lowest of the low end so skip them entirely. Quick struts are a great option for older cars where all the bits and pieces are worn and need replacing which your cars shouldn't need.

Save your money for quick strut assemblies and spend it on some quality replacement struts. Can't go wrong with KYBs for a Japanese car.

The quality all seems to vary these days. In the past, people loved Monroes, but anything gets bad reviews after a while. The only reason I like them is because they have a lifetime warranty. Ended up with 3 sets of struts from one purchase. I just replace them after 60-80k, they don't last forever and no point keeping them to the point where they're fully worn out when you can get another set for nothing. Labor on quick struts aren't that bad. Even KYB gets bad reviews these days. Sometimes it's a [censored] shoot. If you intend to keep the car for a while, get something with a lifetime warranty. Those cheap no name struts with a 1 year warranty will fail after a year or so.

How does a 2013 car already need new struts? How many miles on that car?

Quick struts are awesome, but only the premium name-brand versions. Monroe Quick Strut (black) (NOT the blue Econo-Matic), Gabriel Ultra Readymount (black) (NOT the red Guardian Readymount), KYB Strut Plus, and Sachs quick struts.

SenSen speedy struts are garbage. All the cheap Chinese quick struts are junk, and give quick struts a bad name. AVOID Sensen, Dura, Raybestos, Moog, FCS, Leacree, Unity, etc. They rarely last beyond 10k.

The Monroe Econo-Matic lasts around 30k. Gabriel's Guardian Readymount is fairly new, but most likely on par with the Econo-Matic.

The premium quick struts last at least 50k.

That said, your other suspension parts, such as the spring and mount, should still be in good shape.

Are you still under warranty? If so, then the dealer should give you free struts. If not, get KYB or Sachs shocks and struts.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Pre-assembled strut assemblies generally use low quality parts that are not truly application specific. They have a tendency to be very problematic. To make matters worse, Sensen is not a premium brand by any means.

If your Altima truly needs front struts, I would order the OE strut from the dealer with a new boot and new mount, and re-assemble it. If the OE strut is too expensive, then try KYB or Tokico. Pep Boys will disassemble and reassemble your strut for about $20/unit.

That's good to know, as I really would like to avoid quick struts for my Cobalt. Would rather replace the mount and strut instead of everything else....

Normally I'm in favor of trying the cheap Chinese parts, and have in fact installed Sensen struts in my Maxima.

After only two years one front and one rear that I know of are leaking. I will not put Sensen struts in another vehicle, and I will not even take advantage of the warranty. I would rather wait a bit and get higher quality pieces.

Originally Posted By: asand1
Normally I'm in favor of trying the cheap Chinese parts, and have in fact installed Sensen struts in my Maxima.

After only two years one front and one rear that I know of are leaking. I will not put Sensen struts in another vehicle, and I will not even take advantage of the warranty. I would rather wait a bit and get higher quality pieces.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
I really would like to avoid quick struts for my Cobalt. Would rather replace the mount and strut instead of everything else....

Premium quick struts are fine. Plus, Monroe and Gabriel have good rebates in September/October, so they end costing not that much more than the Chinese [censored].

Monroe has a rebate going on now until 7/31, $50 for save's Cobalt, $80 for asand's Maxima. But if you can't buy them now, they will run the promo again in the fall
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: asand1

This is the most common complaint about SenSen struts - premature failure. They're essentially a Chinese copy of the KYB Excel-G model, but with worse quality control. The ride and handling are pretty good, but a lot of people see them fail within 25k miles.

I do have SenSen dampers (with OE springs and KYB replacement mounts) at all 4 corners of the xB in my sig, and they've given me 40k trouble-free miles. I've read enough accounts like asand1's above that I will spend the extra for KYB in the front when the SenSens give up the ghost. I may use SenSen in the rear again; on my xB, the rears are dead simple to change out.

My 2013 Altima has 111K on it. I replaced the rear shocks with Monroe OE Spectrums and am generally pleased. The originals were in need of replacement. The ride has improved dramatically. As to the front I detect that they too need repalcement and asked the question because there aren't alot of choices. SenSen offers the only speedy strut, which is a time saver over compressing springs.
I will heed the advise however and go the route of name brand.Wish that Gabriel or Monroe offered a speedy strut in my year make and model as that is a time saver and the top mount is included. On my truck I went with Bilsteins on the rear for the shocks and unfortunately Moog on the front. The ride is markedly improved. The truck had 71K on it. The Moogs are monotube in design and only took about 45 minutes to take off and replace. The truck is a 2005 F-150 and needed new shocks/struts.
Thanks, you all have given me great feedback, as I knew I would find on this site.

Originally Posted By: walk23
My 2013 Altima has 111K on it. I replaced the rear shocks with Monroe OE Spectrums and am generally pleased. The originals were in need of replacement. The ride has improved dramatically. As to the front I detect that they too need repalcement and asked the question because there aren't alot of choices. SenSen offers the only speedy strut, which is a time saver over compressing springs.
I will heed the advise however and go the route of name brand.Wish that Gabriel or Monroe offered a speedy strut in my year make and model as that is a time saver and the top mount is included. On my truck I went with Bilsteins on the rear for the shocks and unfortunately Moog on the front. The ride is markedly improved. The truck had 71K on it. The Moogs are monotube in design and only took about 45 minutes to take off and replace. The truck is a 2005 F-150 and needed new shocks/struts.
Thanks, you all have given me great feedback, as I knew I would find on this site.

113k? Where do you go to put all those miles in only three years?
crazy2.gif

That generation Altima is too new for most of them to need shocks, but name-brand quick struts will become available once more of them are older and acquire more miles.

Since you already have Monroe shocks for the rear and are happy with them, then buy Monroe struts for the front. If you buy them before 7/31, you will get a $20 rebate.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
SenSen speedy struts are garbage. All the cheap Chinese quick struts are junk, and give quick struts a bad name. AVOID Sensen, Dura, Raybestos, Moog, FCS, Leacree, Unity, etc. They rarely last beyond 10k.

You sure Raybestos and Moog should be on that list? I have no information that says otherwise, but I would think they would not put their name on poorly made Chinese parts. I assumed they were just relabeled Monroes or whatever.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

You sure Raybestos and Moog should be on that list? I have no information that says otherwise, but I would think they would not put their name on poorly made Chinese parts. I assumed they were just relabeled Monroes or whatever.

I had thought so too, but with further research determined that Ray and Moog are in fact Chinese
frown.gif

Here are some examples

Raybestos from China

Moog from China

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back