oil recommendation 2013 Ford Taurus SHO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Folks

New guy here
smile.gif

I was wondering if anyone has any input on the best oil to use on my 2013 Taurus SHO twin Turbo?
Currently im running Mobil 1 5w30, some say run RP or T6 Rotella 5W40.

Any input would be appreciated

Sam

Originally Posted By: samgvr4
Hi Folks

New guy here
smile.gif

I was wondering if anyone has any input on the best oil to use on my 2013 Taurus SHO twin Turbo?
Currently im running Mobil 1 5w30, some say run RP or T6 Rotella 5W40.

Any input would be appreciated

Sam

Do you have dilution issues?
If you think about W40 option, best choices are Castrol 0W40 and Mobil1 0W40 FS that you can get in Wal mart.
IMO two best High-SAPS oils for high performance applications that are readily available.

Look up some of the used oil analysis on this site for the F150 with the same engine. I think there are a couple with good results using 5w30 Castrol, 5w30 Mobil 1, and some others.

Sweet ride!

And some turbo and GDI themes - low calcium etc ...
Might find what you are using is a good pick ...

I've got the 2011 version. Been running the recommended 5w20 in it. Started out with whatever the dealer used and the last year or so have been using Pennzoil Platinum. Now at 102k and it runs great!

Nice - running Top Tier fuels etc ?
Read Ford is not for using a solvent for intake valves - hard on turbo.
That's why folks here are posting info on calcium etc in various oils ...

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Nice - running Top Tier fuels etc ?
Read Ford is not for using a solvent for intake valves - hard on turbo.
That's why folks here are posting info on calcium etc in various oils ...

Cheapest fuel I can find - 87 in the winter 89 or 92/93 in the summer. In the winter it runs great on 87 but when it gets warm out you can tell it's "off". The extra 2+ octane seems to make it much better.

Oil is changed according to the OLM (it's not smart in the 2011's) and I've never had the need to look at the valves. Still runs great, idles fine, and MPG's are about the same as new.

Has there been an ecoBoost thread regarding octane ?
... never use anything but regular Shell or Exxon but put Techron in once a month ...

Motorcraft 5W20
Castrol Magnatec 5W20
Mobil1 5W20
Maxlife 5W20
Valvoline SynPower 5W20

Originally Posted By: wemay
Motorcraft 5W20
Castrol Magnatec 5W20
Mobil1 5W20
Maxlife 5W20
Valvoline SynPower 5W20

Not in the 2011+ Ecoboost 3.5's. All of them call for 5w30 - the only odd duck is the 2011 and as far as I know, Ford never back-specc'ed them to 5w30.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: wemay
Motorcraft 5W20
Castrol Magnatec 5W20
Mobil1 5W20
Maxlife 5W20
Valvoline SynPower 5W20

Not in the 2011+ Ecoboost 3.5's. All of them call for 5w30 - the only odd duck is the 2011 and as far as I know, Ford never back-specc'ed them to 5w30.

Should read "only odd duck is the 2010"...

Yes on my oil cap its says 5W30, a god friend of mine that has a WRX recommended the 5W40 Rotella Synthetic, some one recommended Amsoil 5w30 what do you all think?
As far as fuel i run 93 Shell all year around, car seems to respond well,
Now i have been running Mobil 1 extended performance 5W30 but it seems to get dirty and dark real fast thou

cheers

Sam

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: samgvr4
Yes on my oil cap its says 5W30, a god friend of mine that has a WRX recommended the 5W40 Rotella Synthetic, some one recommended Amsoil 5w30 what do you all think?
As far as fuel i run 93 Shell all year around, car seems to respond well,
Now i have been running Mobil 1 extended performance 5W30 but it seems to get dirty and dark real fast thou

cheers

Sam

AMong WRX crowd Rotella T6 is popular and among 1st gen VW TFSI owners. Reason for VW owners is fuel dilution and T6 is pretty heavy at 14.2cst.
BUT, you are running DI engine with two turbo chragers. You want low NOACK oil. T6 is 12.6% and Castrol 0W40 that you can get in Wal Mart is 9.1%. T6 is oil made for diesel trucks, and you will feel slower spool of your turbos (actully you will feel that with any W40 oil in your application because engine is specd. for lighter oil).
However, FORD ecoboost engines are known for fuel dilution. So Castrol 0W40 or M1 0W40 would be really good choice for you. My preference would be Castrol 0W40. It is $26 at Wal mart for 5qt jug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back