Does Fix-A-Flat expire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm talking about the compressed air/sealant mixture in an aerosol bottle.

If it makes any difference, it's the actual Fix-A-Flat brand, large tire version.

I bought this about 3 or 4 years ago. Did a search and read the FAQs on their website and still have no real answer.

Thanks.

My neighbor sold his truck last year and no longer drives. Last September he gave me some stuff that he no longer needs such as a can of fix-a-flat. I've never used the stuff but figured it might come in handy someday. Around March I smell a nasty solvent odor in the garage and wasn't able to find the source for a couple days. It was the F-A-F can that had corroded through the bottom and was dripping down from a high shelf on to a fabric car cushion. I'd guess that can was 5-10 years old.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Fix-A-Flat may not play well with TPMS. If I carried some in a newer car I might read some labels to make sure.

That was my concern as well but according to their FAQ it will not affect TPMS as long as it is removed more or less promptly during the formal tire repair.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 69GTX
I'd guess that can was 5-10 years old.

This can looks in great shape, actually. I was surprised it looked that good but then again I stored it in the spare tire well so it new came in contact with any elements or sunlight. Looks like I bought it a few weeks ago.

Huh. Not sure that matters but I did look the can over for structural integrity issues.

It probably doesn't expire.
It fails to work when old just as it does when new.
I've never seen anyone use this stuff with any success.

Originally Posted By: Pajamarama
Whoa. What a bunch of downers. OK luckily I still carry a compact spare in the back.

Thanks.

Can a full-size tire/wheel fit in your trunk? If so, get one from the junkyard
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Can a full-size tire/wheel fit in your trunk? If so, get one from the junkyard
smile.gif

Nope,it's a Honda Fit so a compact spare barely fits. :p

I bought the Fix a Flat large tire version for a car that we no longer have.

I would never use fixaflat on a car tire. Stick that [censored] in there, tire becomes unblanced and car shakes. Plus its disgusting when you take the tire off the rim and it goes everywere.

I've never used it in a car, but the green slime, a few tire plugs, and a 12v air compressor has saved my a** a couple of times riding the backlands of Moab in a quad. It does have it's usages.

Fix a Flat is my factory 'spare' on the Lotus. Lotus manual says 5 years....I know a very few folks who have used it over 5 years, worked as intended (as a very limited duration, emergency fix). That said, like any aerosol, I would not count on it after a few years.

Me? I replaced the OE can with a larger one at the expiry date, for ~$20 I am not taking the chance.

Originally Posted By: wings&wheels
Fix a Flat is my factory 'spare' on the Lotus. Lotus manual says 5 years....I know a very few folks who have used it over 5 years, worked as intended (as a very limited duration, emergency fix). That said, like any aerosol, I would not count on it after a few years.

Me? I replaced the OE can with a larger one at the expiry date, for ~$20 I am not taking the chance.

I'm not sure, but I think I bought the Fix-a-Flat can in the Regal's trunk when I was driving . . . the W126 Mercedes. Which has been gone from my life since 2004.

And the can might be older still. Hm. Time to retire it, methinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back