Help me decypher this MSDS datasheet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, what does this MSDS sheet tell you ?

http://flcf.onion.it/commonfile/FRA/pdf/1838_ssic_FRA.pdf

Quote:
30.0-40.0 %
Dec-1-ene, homopolymer,
hydrogenated

20.0-30.0 %
Distillates (petroleum),
hydrotreated heavy
paraffinic

1.0-2.0 %
Zinc

0.1-1.0 %
μ3-thio-1,2:1,3:2,3-tris(μ
-disulfido-k2S)-1,2,
3-tris
(dialkyldithiocarbamato)-
triangulotrimolybdenum(IV)
dialkyldithiocarbamate

15.0-20.0 %
Not dangerous oils

So

30-40% PAO
20-30% Gr III
15-20% ? Gr III+ ? GTL ? Visom ?

Recently did an UOA of this oil , and even if it starts as moderately thin for a 0W40 (13 cSt @100°), it seems to resist quite well to fuel dilution and turbo heat (I know it was a very short run).

I can get this oil for cheap and I wondered about it's qualities over the slightly more expensive Shell Helix Ultra 0W40 for example. It seems Motul 300V 0W40 is disappearing (or at least becoming harder to get) so I wonder about my future OC (before winter).

Yes it is supposed to be a full saps 229.5/A40/LL-01 and ACEA A3/B4 oil, carries lots of approvals...but SHU 0W40 too.

I'm a bit concerned it is on the thin side of a 40, good for the Colt or the Smart (next time), but probably not so good for the Barchetta. Price is sometimes a bit cheaper than SHU 0W40, and these are the two 0W40 I can get on sale easily.

Planning next OCI for every cars in my sig at fall and starting to hunt for oils since my stash is running low.

Edit: what could be those "non dangerous oils" ? Some Gr III ?

Last edited:
IMHO, "not dangerous oils" = POE.
I know it's hard to believe, however, those are my arguments (plenty of them):
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...wit#Post4037094

See also this MSDS for ester refrigerator oil, it states "Non-hazardous mixture of synthetic polyol ester"
MSDS POE

Make sure however that you buy the NEW Petronas (it has the CoolTech logo, end of 2015 onwards), it's labeled like that
CoolTech logo

This will be my next oil, with 50-70% "not dangerous oils":
http://shop.alfisti.net/Tuning-Styling/A...tml?language=en

PS: what does it means, "Frogland"?
smile.gif

As someone who at one time wrote MSDS for a living, it tells me vital information that I as a firefighter or an emergency responder need to know in case of a spill or ingestion/skin contact. That is the only reason that MSDS was written. Take every one of those percentages with a grain of salt and also realize that the constituents listed are the major components of the mixture and may not include everything that exists in the product.

After that you're reading the tea leaves IMO.

I think the one I used (and uoa'd) had the Cooltech logo on it, but can't remember 100% sure.
So these "non dangerous oils" could be some vegetable esters ?

Thank you for the link to the shop that sells Selenia, but when it's Selenia branded, it's expensive!

Frogland is France, with a bit of humour, since most French people don't have some
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: kschachn
also realize that the constituents listed are the major components of the mixture

I agree, but knowing the major components is anyway better than not knowing anything at all
smile.gif

I've spent some time recently reading MSDS' as a hobby, and, for the non-American oils/markets, I think they are quite informing.
Taken along with approuvals (not just recommendations), with VOAs and TDS, I think I can figure out if that oil matches my application.

So, in my opinion, I suppose that:
- Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated heavy paraffinic OR Severely refined paraffinic mineral oils = gr III
- Fischer-Tropsch distillates = Gas to Liquid (GTL, gr III+)
- 1-Decene... or Dec-1-ene homopolymer... = PAO
- not hazardous/ not dangerous oils = POE

Apart that MSDS for ester refrigerator oil ( "Non-hazardous mixture of synthetic polyol ester"), you may also take a look at other ester oils MSDS:

es
non es
Ardeca double ester

I'm just trying to connect the dots, I know I might be wrong.

Also note those statements: Petronas CoolTech fights "excessive HEAT", "absorb and transfer excessive HEAT" etc. etc.
cooltech

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Popsy

Frogland is France, with a bit of humour, since most French people don't have some
laugh.gif

I'm not a Frenchman, I'm just working in France,and it's not the lack of humour that bothers me the most
smile.gif

Anyway, in 2015 the msds' of Petronas and Selenia changed, plenty of "not dangerous oils" now
laugh.gif

The labeling also changed, with the CoolTech logo for Petronas oils and a green logo "Petronas" on the Selenia bottles new selenia

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back