Switch greases to Jet-Lube Alco-EP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been using Valvoline Synpower for a few years now for pretty much everything automotive. I have no issues with it, seems to work well and hold up well in between greasings. That said, its also about $10 for a 14oz tube. Not much cost savings compared to fancier greases.

Been eyeing Jet-Lube's Alco-EP for a little while now. Its an aluminum complex with 8% moly and a service rating up to 450 degrees in NLGI #2. Other stuffs include graphite content as well as advertised "high lithium soap content." Link to manufactures website.

Would this be a good replacement for general purpose automotive applications- including possibly u-joints? Most charts show some level of compatibility between aluminum and lithium complex greases but has anybody had issues? The reality is, even if I purged my own vehicles 100% perfectly I would be using this on any number of random friends/family if occasion arises...

Looks like its $2 cheaper for the Alco-EP vs. Synpower on amazon...

Edit: Looks like the Alco-EP has a timken of 45lbs. Not sure what valvoline is off the top of my head, but I though it was in the 55-65lb range. Although I'm aware timken load isn't everything I don't fully understand how important of a metric is really is.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: userfriendly
That sounds almost like rail-curve grease.
And a company called "ALCO" used to make steam locomotives. "American Locomotive Company" I think they made some early diesels until EMD and GE grabbed the market.

What's the requirement for 8% moly? I think even real heavy gear is only 5%.

I'd guess the rail sliding is right. The oil will disappear and you still want the solids, I guess.

Moly is good for sliding applications.. In U-Joints or wheel bearings it can actually be bad.

Alco, the locomotives not the grease, were 4-stroke 4,000 hp 6-axle CPR freight 4200s & 4500s and passenger 4000s.
All good at "rolling coal".

For the grease, search railway friction control, under transportation products and services at;

www.lbfoster.com

Originally Posted By: buck91
Been using Valvoline Synpower for a few years now for pretty much everything automotive. I have no issues with it, seems to work well and hold up well in between greasings. That said, its also about $10 for a 14oz tube. Not much cost savings compared to fancier greases.

Been eyeing Jet-Lube's Alco-EP for a little while now. Its an aluminum complex with 8% moly and a service rating up to 450 degrees in NLGI #2. Other stuffs include graphite content as well as advertised "high lithium soap content." Link to manufactures website.

Would this be a good replacement for general purpose automotive applications- including possibly u-joints? Most charts show some level of compatibility between aluminum and lithium complex greases but has anybody had issues? The reality is, even if I purged my own vehicles 100% perfectly I would be using this on any number of random friends/family if occasion arises...

Looks like its $2 cheaper for the Alco-EP vs. Synpower on amazon...

Edit: Looks like the Alco-EP has a timken of 45lbs. Not sure what valvoline is off the top of my head, but I though it was in the 55-65lb range. Although I'm aware timken load isn't everything I don't fully understand how important of a metric is really is.
I've been using Chevron Delo EP #2 for almost 18 years for automotive, lawn and garden power equipment, and trailer/marine equipment. Mystik JT-6 Hi Temp is a VERY close second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back