Need an alternator, which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
My Camry's A/C hasn't been blowing as hard. It's been cold enough, but the fan seems at about 90% because it used to be like a windstorm. I used a volt meter and at idle with no accessories on it is at 14.5V, but at idle with A/C on (radiator fans on too) it's at 13.45V.

I took it to Auto Zone and their scanner said bad voltage regulator, but diodes were ok. I then took it to O'Reilly's and they scanned it and it was the same thing, bad voltage regulator. The only other thing I noticed was the ground clamp on the battery wasn't tight, so I tightened it before O'Reilly's tested it. Battery is 6 months old and tested as good.

There's a new Bosch for $135 on Amazon, AC Delco reman for $142, I thought about the reman Denso for $152 but Rockauto shows the same part number as 80 amps while stock is supposed to be 90, unless it's a typo.

I could also get the Ultima reman from O'Reilly's for around $113 and it would be real convenient for lifetime warranty replacement if needed. What would you guys do?

Voltage regulator is NOT the same as alternator. If it's a separate unit, just replace the voltage regulator.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Voltage regulator is NOT the same as alternator. If it's a separate unit, just replace the voltage regulator.
A new voltage regulator is 90% of the cost of a new alternator, and it's internally regulated.

Alldata lists the 80 AMP as the original output for the 2.2 liter engine.

The voltage regulator part number is 27700-74040 and lists for $89 on Rockauto.

I've had good luck with Denso and Bosch remanufactured alternators and would likely go that route.

Try to clean your ac condenser first. I'm sure there's a nice layer of grease and debris covering the fins.

Check Eric the car guy on YouTube for a video on it.

what in the world A/C has to do with alternator? 13.45V is fine and it shows alternator is charging.

You are better of changing your blinker fluid or muffler bearing to fix the A/C non-problem.

Turn on all the headlights and accessories (radio, AC, etc), and with the engine running with radiator fans on, remeasure voltage at the battery. Shouldn't be lower than 13.0 volts at idle and not lower than 13.8 volts at 1500 RPM. Make sure your voltmeter is of good quality and accurate.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas

You are better of changing your blinker fluid or muffler bearing to fix the A/C non-problem.

What is it with you Americans and changing blinker fluid? It's a limited resource and should never need changing. You know we reached "peak blinker" in the 60's? Stop the waste!!

Originally Posted By: Brad_C

What is it with you Americans and changing blinker fluid? It's a limited resource and should never need changing. You know we reached "peak blinker" in the 60's? Stop the waste!!

If you do change it make sure it's resource conserving and always bring the used fluid to a recycling centre.

Originally Posted By: Tech819
If you do change it make sure it's resource conserving and always bring the used fluid to a recycling centre.

I can't figure out why they haven't come up with a fully synthetic formulation by now. It's insane to keep drilling for the stuff!

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: Kuato
A new voltage regulator is 90% of the cost of a new alternator, and it's internally regulated.

Must have had a flashback to a 70s Chrysler product, where the voltage regulator bolted to the outside of the alternator.....

what in the world A/C has to do with alternator? 13.45V is fine and it shows alternator is charging.

I said that the fan isn't blowing as hard.

Possibly indicating not as much voltage.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

I said that the fan isn't blowing as hard.

Possibly indicating not as much voltage.

If you can detect a 10% difference in flow velocity, you're a better man than me. I guess every little bit makes a difference where you are though. I don't think I'd replace the alternator based on the info you supplied though, not enough evidence of a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back