Castrol only recommends GTX for my Ford??

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I have tried using the Castrol Oil Selector for months, and it keeps ONLY recommending GTX for my 2004 Ford Explorer 4.0 V6.
Any ideas why it would not recommend the Edge 5W-30?
When I look at the specs for the US Edge 5W-30, it says it meets the Ford spec for that engine.
Is it just a website error, or is it REALLY the only one that can be used?
confused2.gif

Last edited:
Probably because it's not a synth spec'd car I'm guessing. Castrol USA doesn't even have my car listed in its oil selector. Out of curiosity I went to Castrol Australia and here's what they recommend:

CASTROL MAGNATEC 10W-40
Castrol Magnatec 10W-40 is suitable for petrol engines, direct and indirect injection engines, LPG and CNG cars, light commercial vehicles and 4WDs. Meets and exceeds API SN/CF, ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4 requirements. Now with ultra refined molecules for protection you can see, hear and feel. * As tested against the industry Sequence IVA wear test.
or

CASTROL GTX HIGH MILEAGE 15W-50
Castrol GTX High Mileage 15W-50 provides extra protection for engines with over 100,000 kilometres. Severe driving conditions such as every day stop-start traffic, harsh weather conditions and extended drain intervals, can all cause the build-up of a thick, tar-like substance called sludge. You can't see this sludge build-up but it can damage your engine's performance and cause premature engine failure. As an engine gets older gaskets become brittle, seals deteriorate and oil burns faster. Castrol GTX High Mileage helps extend engine life by providing superior protection against deposit build-up.* *vs. API SN/CF Industry Standards.
or

CASTROL GTX 20W-50
Castrol GTX 20W-50 protects against problems, like sludge, that your engine faces every day. Severe driving conditions such as every day stop-start traffic, harsh weather conditions and extended drain intervals, can all cause the build-up of a thick, tar-like substance called sludge. You can't see this sludge build-up but it can damage your engine's performance and cause premature engine failure.

I wish Magnatec 10W40 was sold here.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Probably because it's not a synth spec'd car I'm guessing. Castrol USA doesn't even have my car listed in its oil selector. Out of curiosity I went to Castrol Australia and here's what they recommend:

Interesting. Thanks.
I was just wanting to see what my options might be at the local WM. We have 3, but they are helter-skelter on what is on the shelves from day to day.
If I don't use Amsoil SS again (preferred), I will use either M1, PP, or Castrol, depending on what is on the shelf that day.
smile.gif

Thanks again.

Originally Posted By: wemay
The only oil lookup tool worth it's weight in salt is Mobil1's.

I agree that Mobil site is excellent.
Amsoil is also great, with details on all the other fluids/filters required, manufacturer spec for each fluid, etc.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
FWIW ,I've only used Mobil 1 EP 5w30 in my '02 4.0. 185k later, it uses about 3/4 of a qt between 12k changes.,,,

I may start using M1 EP.
Right now I am using Amsoil SS, after trying Amsoil XL before. Luckily it doesn't use/leak any oil yet.
The Explorer is pretty low-mileage for it's age, 100k.
I have owned it since it had 5k miles, and spoiled it with OEM 6 month changes till now(Dino or MC blend). Stepping out of comfort zone and going for 1 year/10k on this Amsoil SS OCI.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: IllinoisSparky
Amsoil is also great, with details on all the other fluids/filters required, manufacturer spec for each fluid, etc.

I agree. Amsoil's is the best.

For my 92 Oldsmobile, Castrol only recommends Castrol GTX 10W-30 High Mileage. At least that's better than Pennzoil oil selector since they don't even list Cutlass Supreme until 1994.

Originally Posted By: IllinoisSparky
So, I have tried using the Castrol Oil Selector for months, and it keeps ONLY recommending GTX for my 2004 Ford Explorer 4.0 V6.
Any ideas why it would not recommend the Edge 5W-30?
When I look at the specs for the US Edge 5W-30, it says it meets the Ford spec for that engine.
Is it just a website error, or is it REALLY the only one that can be used?
confused2.gif

Any ideas why it would not recommend the Edge 5W-30? You would have to ask the persons responsible for making the web page or who ever he/she sends you too. Only they could answer that question.

Is it just a website error, or is it REALLY the only one that can be used? Without answering question 1 first, we can't call it a website error. It could be the intelligence of the people behind the webpage making needs to called into question. Which leads into the next part of the question. As long as an oil passes the manufacturers specs for your vehicle, you can use it with confidence. They spend the money and time to put that spec on the oil. Money and time that the marketing department most be unaware of. So, yes, if you want to use Edge 5w30, use it. It would be better than GTX.

Well, I got a reply from Castrol.
Website still doesn't show anything but GTX, but they verified that the Edge and Magnetek products will work, which gives me options.

Their Reply:
Thank you for contacting Castrol North America.

We regret you experienced technical difficulties, and apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Your comments/ suggestions have been forwarded to our web webmaster.

The correct grade of oil to use will be listed in the automobile owner’s manual. As far as whether to use a conventional or synthetic - that depends on the driver, the conditions and the type of driving that you do. Both conventional and synthetic oils will protect your engine – synthetic oils provide superior protection to conventional oils. Synthetics also provide much better protection at extreme temperatures and severe driving conditions. Some automobiles do require synthetic oils – this would also be mentioned in the owner’s manual.

The Castrol US web page (http://www.castrol.com/en_us/united-states.html) provides information on what oil to use for your vehicle, based on your location, vehicle and driving conditions. On the Castrol home page, click on “Oil Selector” and answer the questions to determine the proper oil for your vehicle.

According to Castrol’s lubrication guide recommended for the 2004 Ford Explorer 4.0 V6:
For All Temperature Ranges a 5W-30 oil meeting Ford Spec. WSS-M2C946-A is recommended
The Following oils meet this specification and are suitable for your application:
-GTX 5W-30
-GTX Magnatec 5W-30
-EDGE 5W-30
-EDGE Extended Performance 5W-30
-EDGE High Mileage 5W-30

Thank you again for contacting Castrol, we value your patronage!

Castrol Consumer Relations

Their lube selector is usually pretty good. It even picks up on my G37 requiring only SM 5w-30 or newer, not SM/GF-4 5w-30 or newer, so it lists the dexos2 5w-30 as an alternative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back