Castrol Magnatec Stop-Start 5W-30 A3/B4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I've noticed that Castrol started to sell (in EU) Magnatec which carries MB 229.5 spec: http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/Fusion...BPXE-A7YAVM.pdf

It has nice specs:

Name Method Units Castrol MAGNATEC STOP-START 5W-30 A3/B4
Density @ 15C, Relative ASTM D4052 g/ml 0.852
Viscosity, Kinematic 100C ASTM D445 mm²/s 12.1
Viscosity, CCS -30C (5W) ASTM D5293 mPa.s (cP) 5600
Viscosity, Kinematic 40C ASTM D445 mm²/s 71
Viscosity Index ASTM D2270 None 168
Pour Point ASTM D97 °C -45
Flash Point, PMCC ASTM D93 °C 210
Ash, Sulphated ASTM D874 % wt 1.1

It has nice approvals:

ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4
API SL/CF
BMW Longlife-01
MB-Approval 226.5/ 229.3/ 229.5
Renault RN0700 / RN0710
VW 502 00/ 505 00

It has nice ad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hnkexBfJtQ
It has nice index: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF9sB6LE8So

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this oil?

Last edited:
Thanks Volodymy, nice find. I wonder how Castrol position this oil in respect to Edge since they carry same approvals.

In Australia we have a full synthetic (Grp 3) Castrol Magnatec Stop-Start 5W-30 that is SN and A3/B4.
KV 100 = 12.2
KV 40 = 70

We also have a full synthetic Castrol Edge 5W-30 which is SL, A3/B4, BMW LL-01, MB 229.5, etc
KV 100 = 12.0
KV 40 = 71.8

Your Magnatec sort of splits the difference, not that there is much difference.

Our Magnatec is only A3/B4 with no Euro OEM specs like MB 229.x
I always thought that it could probably earn a few Euro OEM specs, but they didn't do it so as to not steal market share from their Edge product.

Here Edge is SL due to high zinc and Phos levels, but the Magnatec is SN.

Your Magnatec looks very much like our Edge in that respect. Do you also have an Edge 5W30 A3/B4 in Europe ?

Originally Posted By: SR5
In Australia we have a full synthetic (Grp 3) Castrol Magnatec Stop-Start 5W-30 that is SN and A3/B4.
KV 100 = 12.2
KV 40 = 70

We also have a full synthetic Castrol Edge 5W-30 which is SL, A3/B4, BMW LL-01, MB 229.5, etc
KV 100 = 12.0
KV 40 = 71.8

Your Magnatec sort of splits the difference, not that there is much difference.

Our Magnatec is only A3/B4 with no Euro OEM specs like MB 229.x
I always thought that it could probably earn a few Euro OEM specs, but they didn't do it so as to not steal market share from their Edge product.

Here Edge is SL due to high zinc and Phos levels, but the Magnatec is SN.

Your Magnatec looks very much like our Edge in that respect. Do you also have an Edge 5W30 A3/B4 in Europe ?

I'm thinking out loud here, but how can a A3/B4 in 5w30 meet Api SN requirements when we know restrictions on SN oils in grades below xw40? Did I miss something?

Originally Posted By: chrisri

I'm thinking out loud here, but how can a A3/B4 in 5w30 meet Api SN requirements when we know restrictions on SN oils in grades below xw40? Did I miss something?

Good question.

chrisri,

Thanks Volodymy, nice find. I wonder how Castrol position this oil in respect to Edge since they carry same approvals.

Probably this Magnatec is a "better" version of Edge in pre 40 weight category. Because all versions of Edge (0W-30, 5W-30) sold in Europe are either low or mid SAPS. Also, if we compare specs to Castrol Edge sold in North America we probably will find out that it that this is the same oil.

Last edited:
In fact, if you compare the specs of European Magnatec and US Edge 5W-30 you may draw a conclusion that US Edge 5W-30 is an inferior oil:

Technical specs of US Edge 5W-30:

edge_us.png

Technical specs of European Magnatec 5W-30:

magnatec.png

I can see at least a better pour point and lower ash. Thoughts?

Last edited:

API SN has phosphorus (and therefore zinc) restrictions for 20 and 30 grade oils.

ACEA has Phos restrictions for "C" oils and some "E" oils, but there are no restrictions (or minimum) on "A/B" oils.

So a 30 grade oil that is just A3/B4 can have any Phos level it wants (assuming it passes the other wear test etc). The restrictions only apply when you team up A3/B4 with other specs like SN (low phos) or SL (high Phos).

Shell also make a full synthetic (Grp 3) HX8 5W-30 that is SN and A3/B4.
Right now I'm using Castrol Magnatec 10W-30 (semi-syn) that is SN and A3/B4. It's not a problem.

Yes, I think that A3/B4 spec only enforces "to report zinc and ph levels" but it does not enforce certain minimum level of zddp. Of course, it means that oil typically will have A3/B4 and API SN specs, because more tough specs like MB 229.3 or 229.5 will require more ZDDP and thus this will break API SN requirements.

Originally Posted By: volodymyr
Yes, I think that A3/B4 spec only enforces "to report zinc and ph levels" but it does not enforce certain minimum level of zddp. Of course, it means that oil typically will have A3/B4 and API SN specs, because more tough specs like MB 229.3 or 229.5 will require more ZDDP and thus this will break API SN requirements.

Yes A3/B4 is only "report" for Phos levels.

What you say about the ZDDP level makes sense. For me the full synthetic Magnatec 5W30 is a low ZDDP oil that is only SN and A3/B4. While the synthetic Edge 5W30 is a high ZDDP oil that is SL, A3/B4 plus MB 229.5, BMW LL-01, etc.

Easy, in Australia, of you want a SN oil buy Magnatec, but if you want a Euro OEM oil then buy Edge.

It looks like in Europe, Edge = Low SAPS C3 type oils, while Magnatec = High SAPS A3/B4 type oils.

I also think that Europe Magnatec 5W30 = Australia Edge 5W30. Or very close to the same as both are SL, A3/B4, Euro OEM oils. Whatever you call it, I think it's a good oil. It's probably one of the thinnest MB 229.5 oils you can buy.

Yeah, agree with you US Edge 5W30 of Dexos 1 is in a way 'inferior' to Euro Magnatec Stop-Start 5W30.
Btw, US Edge 5W30 specs are:
KV40/100 :62.6 / 10.7
PP :-39 *C
FP :220 *C
Hths : 3.04 cP

TBN has to be above 10 now (not at first). Not all SN oils reach that TBN though, or I would even say most will not.

Jetronic,

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
this is the only full saps 5w30 from castrol I'm aware of: http://www.motoroel100.de/WebRoot/Store1...of-LL3-1X1L.jpg

This one is actually Mid-SAPS (ACEA C3, MB 229.51).

Yes, you are right. The vendor didn't list the C3 rating and I didn't investigate further. All 5w30 edge are midsaps then.

Quote:

Spezifikationen/Freigaben:

* SAE 5W-30;

* ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4;

* VW 504 00/ 507 00

In fact, if you compare the specs of European Magnatec and US Edge 5W-30 you may draw a conclusion that US Edge 5W-30 is an inferior oil:

Technical specs of US Edge 5W-30:

edge_us.png

Technical specs of European Magnatec 5W-30:

magnatec.png

I can see at least a better pour point and lower ash. Thoughts?

Lab analysis error ?
One is out dated PDS between the current oils.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back