KISS for an '01 BMW 330Ci /E46 /M54

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just trying to find an approved oil for the above car. I keep getting lost in technical details when searching, and the BMW list keeps changing. Had been using M1, but since it lost LL-01 I've used pennzoil platinum euro 5w40 and castrol edge 0w40 (I thought I had used 0w30, but when I double check it looks like only the 0w40 is LL-01). Are these both appropriate? Usually 1 or the other will be on sale with a filter at my FLAPS...

Castrol 0W-40 is what I run in my M54. The 0W-30 still carries LL01 as well, AFAIK.

Edit: There is also a Castrol 5W-40 that is LL01 available on Amazon.

Last edited:
Huh. Went to castrol site and they have a handy dandy oil selector tool, which recommends edge 0w-30. Looking up the specs from there shows the 0w-30 to be LL-01. Pennzoil has a similar tool, which recommends 5w-40. Why hadn't I seen these sites before? Anyway, looks like any of the above should work. Thanks for the help!

Lists are worthless as you have found. They are outdated the day they are published. The only reliable indication of the specifications an oil carries is what's printed on the container. Any oil that carries the BMW specification is appropriate regardless of the grade.

Having said that, where did you find a current BMW approved oil list? AFAIK they no longer publically publish such a list.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Lists are worthless as you have found. They are outdated the day they are published. The only reliable indication of the specifications an oil carries is what's printed on the container. Any oil that carries the BMW specification is appropriate regardless of the grade.

Having said that, where did you find a current BMW approved oil list? AFAIK they no longer publically publish such a list.

Take a dozen Krispy Kreme to your favorite service department, and they'll find and print it for you!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Take a dozen Krispy Kreme to your favorite service department, and they'll find and print it for you!
wink.gif

Meh, they've earned enough profit from the parts I've bought to keep my old E34 alive. They can buy their own donuts
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: kschachn

wink.gif

Couldn't find a current list. Hence the post...

Originally Posted By: Nola_mike
Couldn't find a current list. Hence the post...

Sorry if I didn't connect the dots on that, I just saw where you said the list kept changing.

I really don't see the point of a list anyway, I just go down the oil aisle at Walmart looking at the backs of the containers until I find one that carries the spec I need. I used to stop at M1 0W-40 but now I go two feet farther and get Castrol 0W-40.

My local WalMarts appear to have stopped carrying any Castrol that meets LL01 specs. Is this happening elsewhere?

New wrinkle: flaps had Pennzoil 0w-30 on sale. Literature says it's ll01, bottle says ll04. Drive know what to think about that. Also it's a "recommended" oil by their tool

Originally Posted By: Nola_mike
New wrinkle: flaps had Pennzoil 0w-30 on sale. Literature says it's ll01, bottle says ll04. Drive know what to think about that. Also it's a "recommended" oil by their tool

BMWNA specifically calls out not to use LL04 oils in their gasoline engines in North America. They state to only use LL01 in North America. Something to do with compatibility with our gasoline used here.

Originally Posted By: crazy4trains
My local WalMarts appear to have stopped carrying any Castrol that meets LL01 specs. Is this happening elsewhere?

You can often order Castrol Edge on the Walmart website and have it delivered to your local WalMart at no additional charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back