R-12 A/C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was looking at older cars on CL for fun and came across a couple where the seller was touting operational R-12 A/C. Cars like that are certainly a rarity since the majority still on the road have been converted over to lame R-134a.

Anyone here still have a functioning R-12 system?

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Was looking at older cars on CL for fun and came across a couple where the seller was touting operational R-12 A/C. Cars like that are certainly a rarity since the majority still on the road have been converted over to lame R-134a.

I have one and over 20 lbs. of R-12 just in case I need it.

R-12 is still sold, it's just really expensive.

You can buy R-134 (R-134a?) at Walmart. Can't buy R-12 at Walmart.

my old g20 with rear air has mp-39 in it.thats r-401a.i have r12 but when i fixed it it was buried in storage.it seems to be slightly better than 12.
r134 is fine for systems properly designed for it.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
You can drive to Mexico to get R-12 system service.

01.gif

Originally Posted By: kc8adu
my old g20 with rear air has mp-39 in it.thats r-401a.i have r12 but when i fixed it it was buried in storage.it seems to be slightly better than 12.
r134 is fine for systems properly designed for it.

401A is actually pretty good in an R-12 system, you just have to get the charge right. I think it takes a little less of a charge [by weight] than R-12. It blows very cold.

Originally Posted By: mclasser

My '94 Toyota Pickup (Built 10/93) has one of the last R12 systems installed.

It is fully functional, blows cold, never been serviced.

I have EPA 609 certification if I ever need to buy R12 or service the system.

My '92 D250 is still running on R-12 and blows wonderfully cold air. I put in 1 can last year and it is still going fine this year. I have another case of R-12 in reserve. As long as I have that I will never convert to R-134.

You can search on Craigslist and find people who are selling it but it is usually not cheap ($20-40 a can)

spot on.a neighbor had his g20 with rear air converted.50 degree vent temps.mine 38.
btw i start with 80% by weight for mp39.by weight is the only way anyway.and must be charged as liquid.
its real close.had to add a few more ounces.no good for leakers as the blends components leak at different rates.i left no o ring untouched.replace em all.
6 years now with no issues or leakage.
Originally Posted By: Chris142
We have gone through 40 lbs of r12 since June 1st. There are a few cars that simply will not work if refortified to r134a. Suburbans,chevy vans and late 80's Cadillacs to name 3

R12 is overrated. I converted my Accord to R134a 5 years ago (against the advice of everyone here) and I still get 42 degree vent temps. Best decision I ever made.

Hmmm, I thought that this issue would never come up again.

There are a few systems from the 1990s that used R12 with then-new barrier hoses. Those have a modest chance of still having a usable factory refrigerant charge.

Every other R12 system that could be easily converted to R134a likely has already been done. A few systems still use R12 because they have incompatible compressor seals. The best thing that can be done for those systems is replacing the hoses with custom barrier hoses.

My 1987 Buick Grand National and 1966 Cadillac Sedan Deville are still running on their original spec'd Freon. The Buick did not need a top off R12 charge until sometime around 2000. It is just now starting to not blow as cold so I'll shoot another top off in it. I don't believe in retro fitting an AC system if its working correctly.

I switched a car from R12 to R134 in my driveway using an off the shelf kit some years ago. It worked perfectly.

1980 Mustang V/8 still has R-12, have added very little r-12 over the years. bought this car new, 26,000 miles now, stays far away from salt. Have several cases of r-12 in my stash.

Converted my 86 Monte Carlo SS. Blows 38 degrees. But it needs recharged every other year as it does leak out. Car is 30 years old and still on the original compressor. It was converted in 01.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back