Valvoline fullsyn HM, vs PPHM vs PP vs other dexos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a silverado 1500 with the 5.3L and the 4l60e auto trans. Has 150k on the clock. There was an oil change sticker in the window so I called the place to see what they had put in the truck when they did an oil change for the previous owner and they said regular 5w30 so to me that means conventional. According to the sticker it's time to change it again and I checked the level and it is where it's suppose to be so it doesn't seem like it uses any oil. What oil should I go with for it? I want to go full synthetic. Just trying to determine HM or not. And what brand

I always used Pennzoil High Mileage and had good luck with it but i recently changed to max life because i like the way valvoline double seals their jugs.. Actually most of the other oil companies double seal their jugs i wish Pennzoil would start doing that.. If you put pennzoil jugs on the shelf side by side some of them are sometimes at different heights but all the other brands seem to be right on the money.. Something a little odd about that.. I would not use full synthetic in that i think the dino high mileage would be the best.

Run a dino 5w30 again and see if any use. Uf none by next time for change id opt for a syn 5w30. Im just the type who would only use HM
oil if its needed..

PP, or PPHM if you buy into the high mileage oil hype. I don't because I have two high mileage vehicles running just fine on regular synthetic with no leaks, burnoff, etc.

The 5.3 Vortec is known to burn oil, so regardless of what you put in it, keep on eye on it until you get a feel for how it runs and behaves throughout an OCI.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I always used Pennzoil High Mileage and had good luck with it but i recently changed to max life because i like the way valvoline double seals their jugs.. Actually most of the other oil companies double seal their jugs i wish Pennzoil would start doing that.. If you put pennzoil jugs on the shelf side by side some of them are sometimes at different heights but all the other brands seem to be right on the money.. Something a little odd about that.. I would not use full synthetic in that i think the dino high mileage would be the best.

+1

I've been using PHM 5w-30 the last four oci's on my 94 C1500 with 211k on it and it doesn't burn a drop of oil. It was my first experience with a HM oil and I'll vouch for it especially on tightening up a small oil leak I had prior to the HM.

I've also heard a lot of good behind Quaker State Defy being a good HM oil especially for the price and couple d with a good filter should do you just fine.

Originally Posted By: Gene K
What does the OLM say?

Oil change places are notorious for 3 month, 3000 mi stickers.

+1 You can call them back and ask for the mileage on the vehicle when it was serviced. You should get at least 5k out of any oil but the OLM would best tell you.

I use PHM in my older vehicles and really like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back