FCA Material Standard MS-10902

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I've asked this in two other related threads and I didn't get much of a response about it, so I thought I'd ask here. Garak mentioned a spider web of Chrysler specs.
smile.gif

Does anyone have this spec or know what is contained in it? The new oil spec for the EcoDiesel engine must have this MS-10902 along with being fully synthetic, 5W40 and CJ-4. This spec is also listed as a requirement for the Cummins 6.7, but there is the additional note that oils meeting Cummins CES 20081 may be used, so I don't think much attention is paid to this MS-10902.
The oils that I've found that meet MS-10902, fully synthetic 5W40 CJ-4 are-

Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5W40
Amsoil Premium 5W40 Synthetic Diesel oil
Shell Rotella T6 5W40 (not listed on the PDS but I emailed Shell and was informed it did meet MS-10902)

Chevron and Mobil both replied that they don't have an oil that meets MS-10902.

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful replies.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Isn't MS-10902 the same thing as Cummins CES 20081?

I don't know, but Mobil and Chevron don't seem to think so.

Well that's why I'm here asking. Do you know that they are, in fact, the same spec?
What would make you think they are the same spec?

Last edited:
Chevron LubeTek told me MS-10902 and Cummins CES 20081 are the same.

Mobil won't answer me any longer. I guess I wore out my welcome.

well, compare specs from oils that also cary the chrysler spec. Look for another spec they all have in common. It'll give you a goodidea of what is required

ExxonMobil did answer after all. I guess he had to ask a higher level.

Quote:
That is what I believe to be true, yes. Our Products Technical Advisor told me that the CES 20081 oil can be use where the MS-10902 specification is used.

Steve W. Scott
Americas Technical Help Desk
ExxonMobil Products Technology

As a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel owner here is an update. For the 2016 they have issued a TSB to actually change out the oil to the Rotella T6. This included the Ram Trucks and Grand Cherokee on the lot for sale. For the 2014 and 2015 they have updated the owners manual to call out the new standard as well as recommend the Rotella T6 5-40W. They have not put out a TSB on the 2014-2015's but changed the documentation. Weird. Also on the 2016 they are reflashing the PCM.
Anyone have any newer updates to what I presented here.

I have a '15 WK2 EcoDiesel and made the switch to Rotella T6 about 6k miles ago at my last change. I even called Jeep and had them send me out a new Diesel Supplement manual, but it was still the same v.1 that I had; (they are on v.7 now.) I printed a copy of the oil change and put it in my hard copy that I keep in the truck; disappointed that I have heard nothing from Jeep. I'll skip their ECU flash and just keep my OCI's at about 6k miles.

Originally Posted By: AirBull
I have a '15 WK2 EcoDiesel and made the switch to Rotella T6 about 6k miles ago at my last change. I even called Jeep and had them send me out a new Diesel Supplement manual, but it was still the same v.1 that I had; (they are on v.7 now.) I printed a copy of the oil change and put it in my hard copy that I keep in the truck; disappointed that I have heard nothing from Jeep. I'll skip their ECU flash and just keep my OCI's at about 6k miles.

May want to try sampling the next OCI at Blackstone, I'd bet the T6 would go much further than 6K OCI making it more cost effective.

Originally Posted By: Bighorn2500
Originally Posted By: AirBull

May want to try sampling the next OCI at Blackstone, I'd bet the T6 would go much further than 6K OCI making it more cost effective.
I haven't decided when to change it, other than I don't want to quite go 10k miles. Maybe 8k is good compromise?

Maserati 3.0 in EU require 5w30 C3 oil. I believe anything C3 in 5w30 or 40 would be sufficient. FIAT S2 specification.

I have a 2016 Jeep GC with the EcoDiesel. My VIN qualified for the "reflash" which updates the TCM to downshift sooner and hold the gears longer during acceleration. FCA had a few engine failures due to main bearing "chatter" which they attributed to engine lugging. Their solution was rev the engine higher and switch to a 5w40 HDEO. I asked my service writer why only the 2016's and he thought it was just a cost saving measure for FCA. I would be extremely pis-sed if I had a '14-'15 EcoDiesel...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BoiseRob
I have a 2016 Jeep GC with the EcoDiesel. My VIN qualified for the "reflash" which updates the TCM to downshift sooner and hold the gears longer during acceleration. FCA had a few engine failures due to main bearing "chatter" which they attributed to engine lugging. Their solution was rev the engine higher and switch to a 5w40 HDEO. I asked my service writer why only the 2016's and he thought it was just a cost saving measure for FCA. I would be extremely pis-sed if I had a '14-'15 EcoDiesel...

My local dealer is doing the "reflash" and oil change from free on my new to me 2015 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel because it's still under the 36k warranty. If it were over I would have to pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back