Philosophical history question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Knowing what you know now about history, if you could go back in time and live for 100 years when and where would you live? Keep in mind your "reincarnated" self doesn't have the history knowledge you have today.

My first pick would be 1899 in the United States. I would see WWI, modernization of automobiles, Roaring 20's, Great Depression, WWII, air conditioning, appliances in the home, cell phones, internet, advancement of medicine and almost the next millennium. Too many other things to list but overall would would witness the fastest discovery of technology in the human race.

A good part of my choice would be, "Would I be likely to be drafted into/expected to sign up for the military and risk getting my head blown off?" Not an idle question. A lot of young men died in the world wars and Korea, and while the wars may have been necessary, the ventilation of my hide would never be something I'd wish for.

Would I be reborn, or go back as an adult -- and if so, at what age? On another board I plumped for 1947 as a great year to be born, but then I'd have been right in line for a certain little party in SE Asia ca. 1966. Being a 25-year-old in, say, 1947 would have been pretty good.

Good question. While it'd be interesting to go back, I'd have to say I'm quite content in the here and now. For all the griping about how we're in a downward spiral, medicine, life expectancy et al haven't looked better.

Personally, I'd probably try to avoid the 70's...

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Being a 25-year-old in, say, 1947 would have been pretty good.
Yeah, had you made it through the war and saw active combat, I'd think so (life experiences, pension, etc). Although didn't we have a mild depression in '48 or so? It took a few years to get back on track. Worse, it seems to have taken England (let alone Europe) decades to recover, so I'd want to be 25 and stateside in '47.

No antibiotics, disease often rampant, minimal dental care, bad hygiene practices and the accompanying smell (I alwasy told my students when I taught to imagine the odor of historical periods), no real sewage systems and impure drinking water, minimal and / or horribly painful surgery...... Meh!

I think the OP's proposition included that one would live for 100 years. So it's a foregone conclusion that you'd make it into old age.

That said, it'd sure suck to outlive your kids (since they weren't part of the premise). A while ago I read Mark Twain's biography, and was struck by the fact that he outlived three of his four children. My grandparents-in-law are sorta facing that today: their youngest died a few years ago, and their oldest just passed last week (still have the middle four kids, but still). Imagine dealing with that in your old age--well, any age I guess, but still.

Last edited:
I would want to go back to 1969,when I was born. I'd give the world to relive my childhood so I could re-experience life with my parents and grandparents. Not a day goes by that I don't think about them and miss them like crazy.

To go back and live an entire lifetime? No thanks, I'll take the time that I live in right now. To go back and visit for a few weeks or a year? I think there are a lot of fascinating times-the 1760s and 1770s would be interesting. The roaring 20s would also be rather fun to visit.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
The 1980's in the USA

Things seemed simpler back then...at least from my observations

The 1980s "simpler"? Now that's one of the funniest "observations" I've heard in a very long time.

My mother, (1915-2011) had the most interesting life of anyone I have ever personally known. She was born at the perfect time to witness scores of world changing events. She and my dad were married in 1930 just at the start of the great depression, and I'm the youngest of 9 kids of which 5 are still alive and well. She had a gift for making something out of nothing, and always put her maker and her family first. I have watched old silent movies and news reels of important world events, and thought, my mother was alive when all that history was made. We had many conversations about her rememberances of where she was on 12-7-1941, or when Lindbergh made his solo flight across the Atlantic or when the Hindenburg crashed. She was the strongest person I have ever known, and I think of and miss her every day.

Last edited:
1946 is when I was born. I saw the greatest years of our nation and will be likely leaving about the time we collapse. I got my money's worth for sure.

I'm thinking I'd like to be born in 1880 and live to 1980. Probably too old to serve in the big world wars not to mention Korea and Viet Nam. I'd get to see a lot of automotive and aviation history, not to mention the recovery after the great depression and WW2.

My second choice would be to be born in 1939, if I got to be an astronaut. When I was a kid, I was in love with the Space Program and wanted to be an astronaut. But needing glasses, that dream was crushed.

I'm not a huge fan of living in a time when fever and diarrhea were the two biggest causes of death, but it would be amazing to watch our world history pan out having knowledge of where it is going.

I would love to see what things were actually like. A lot has been lost and hidden in the historical texts that we read today.

I think background has a lot to do with the answer as well. It simply wasn't safe nor enjoyable to be certain people in certain places at various times throughout history.

Only if i can pick my social class standing, too. Would want to be one of the wealthy aristocracy of the day, which would lend access to better hygiene products and such, but the kicker is the OP said no knowledge of current day lifestyle, i.e. even if toothepaste didn't exist yet, you wouldn't miss it once you're beamed into whatever past era you choose, because it's not invented yet. I'd take my own birth year all over again, just the chance to do a few things different. Not too many. Just a few. Growing up in the decade of 1970 - 1980 as a kid age 7 - 17 was awesome and would love to do it again. College years 81 - 86 (5 yr plan...)--> awesome time. Only thing I'd change is to be able to have a Corvette end of High School and into college instead of a '69 Cutlass 4 dr w/ two barrel carb, then a Mustang II with two barrel carb. But then likely wouldn't live through it as I'd have wrapped any Vette around a tree during those yrs...

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
To go back and live an entire lifetime? No thanks, I'll take the time that I live in right now. To go back and visit for a few weeks or a year? I think there are a lot of fascinating times-the 1760s and 1770s would be interesting. The roaring 20s would also be rather fun to visit.

Yeah, rather than 100 years with a number of interspersed good spots, a few weeks/months totalling 100 would be my pick.

Megalithic sites would be my choice (with the ability to communicate fluently with those doing the building)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back