Oil Pressure Sending Unit Placement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I installed an Autometer Oil pressure gauge last week in my Mustang. The fit was tight and I had no choice but to use an 90* 1/4 NPT elbow and a 1/4 to 1/8 NPT reducer.

Unfortunately, the best placement I ended up with puts the sending unit close to the power steering pressure line. The sending unit is on the driver's side, so the engine will torque away from the lines, but of course I'm concerned that over time with mounts wearing etc that the sending unit might contact the line.

Am I overthinking this? See the pics below.

I think you are worried about nothing.

I have a big cam in the Trans Am and that engine moves all over the place. I have stuff tighter than that with no issue.

You could always wrap the hose with anti-chaffing material.

There is no reason that sending unit needs to be directly attached to the fitting. If it bothers you, relocate it with a length of appropriate tubing or oil line. The pressure (and therefore the pressure reading) won't change, assuming you use fittings and line that isn't too small for the job.

Looks like enough room ... doubt it's going to move around enough to make contact with the tube. Inspect it once and awhile to see if there are any signs of contact or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back