Thinking About a New Bike

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
I was thinking of maybe getting rid of all my current bikes and getting just one new bike. Want something sporty with some power and more of a 'sit upright' riding position to be a comfortable. Probably wouldn't do anything until next spring unless something changes fast. Looking at the big 3 Japanese makers: Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki. The Honda CB1000R looks interesting.

http://powersports.honda.com/2016/cb1000r.aspx

For an all out "boulevard cruiser" style bike, the 1300cc V-twin Honda Fury looks interesting. Looks really clean and sleek, wonder how it rides? The "Ultra Blue Metallic" paint looks cool IMO.

http://powersports.honda.com/2016/fury.aspx

Any recommendations from you guys who went down similar avenue with the bike styles above.

The old Bus has probably the largest aftermarket of any bike short of Harley. Helibar and Genmar make bar risers. Many different screens available for better wind protection. Seats and pegs can also be changed. And you'd still have that engine..

I've ridden most of the current crop of the so-called naked bikes. I really was surprised how much I liked the Suzuki GSX-S1000. It can be had with either a small fairing, or a larger one.

I also have an S1000RR. It's surprisingly comfortable for what it is. It even has heated grips and cruise control. And easily keeps up with a stock or lightly modded 'Busa. The S1000R is the naked version, with less top-end power.

Of course the BMW's are more expensive than the Japanese bikes, and they are prone to more gremlins. But they do offer some things that the Japanese bikes don't.

I would look into the new Triumphs. The Thruxton and Bonneville were upgraded from air cooled 865cc engines to 1200cc liquid cooled engines. They are over 100hp, and they gained a six speed transmission over the old five speeds. The Bonneville will have a classic look and upright classic position with mid controls, while the Thruxton will be more like a naked sportbike with slightly more upright ergos but still possess rear set controls.

BMW S1000XR?
KTM 1290 Superduke GT?
Ducati Multistrada?
Triumph Sprint GT? Or Tiger Sport? Or Trophy SE if you want to cruise?
Yamaha MT-10??!

I have a Triumph Thunderbird 1600 ABS. great cruiser. I don't ride it much but can't bring myself to sell it.

Originally Posted By: Atesz792
One big Japanese bike to do it all?

Honda CB1300S

Unfortunately, they were never offered in the USA.

What are your 'current' bikes? Not a CBR or the Fury but, I would look at the Kawasaki Concours. Add 3 inch handlebar risers and you get a nice upright riding position. You can ride all day solo or two up at 80 MPH with nary a whimper from the Kawi or your a-s. Plenty of power, sporty, and as reliable as a hammer.

If you're wanting to keep it Asian, how about the tried and true Yamaha FJR1300A or FJR1300ES? Guess it depends on if usage will be mostly touring or just burning the asphalt off various canyon roads or such. What about a BMW K1300s, 175hp and 550 or so lbs? 2015 last model yr, still some leftovers.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
What are your 'current' bikes? Not a CBR or the Fury but, I would look at the Kawasaki Concours.

I current ride a 2000 Hayabusa, and also have an old 1983 Honda XR200R dirt bike and a 1976 Yamaha RD400 - both with low miles. The Honda and Yamaha haven't been used in years, but have been stored in the garage and are in good shape. It wouldn't take much to get them going again. I just think I'd never use them again at this point, and it might make more sense to sell them and use the money towards an new bike. They probably aren't really worth much, but not using them isn't doing me any good either.

The Hayabusa is in excellent condition, and would probably do me fine as is but it is getting long in the tooth in my eyes even though it only has 15K miles on it. There were some years I hardly rode it, so the miles stayed really low. I did put Heli bars on it years ago which helps give a little more upright riding position. I also thought of the new Yamaha FJR1300, but not sure I want that big and heavy of a bike, and not sure I'd use it for what it's designed for - long distance trips - same goes for the Concours. That's why the naked Honda CB1000R looked attractive since it's sporty, lots of power, relatively light and has a good riding position. It's also less expensive than some of the bigger touring bikes.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
...The Hayabusa is in excellent condition...

I'll bet that's a Super...Busa
56.gif

No love here for the "Fury", too far out there for me.

Not much of crotch rocket guy, perhaps my age. But if I was looking at a Sport or Super Sport line, the Kawi line up looks pretty good. Yamaha kind of intriguing too imo.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
...The Hayabusa is in excellent condition...

I'll bet that's a Super...Busa
56.gif

No love here for the "Fury", too far out there for me.

Not much of crotch rocket guy, perhaps my age. But if I was looking at a Sport or Super Sport line, the Kawi line up looks pretty good. Yamaha kind of intriguing too imo.

It still is a "Super Busa" ... see below. Yeah, I saw a Fury today at the local Honda dealer. It's a pretty slick looking bike if you like that style. They didn't have the CB1000R which is the one I really wanted to see.

I probably won't make any decision until next spring, and might just end up keeping the Busa. Don't hardly see anymore of them 16+ years old running around in good shape.

Selling a low-mileage, unrestricted 2000, is sacrilege.
grin.gif

Seriously, it's a classic, that can still reach a higher top speed than any new bike that would be restricted from the factory. Of course they can be de-restricted too..

I forgot about the Spiegler bar conversion kit: Spiegler bar conversion

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Selling a low-mileage, unrestricted 2000, is sacrilege.
grin.gif

That's what I keep saying in the back of my mind. It would be sad letting it go, even for a new bike.

I like my 2014 Honda cb1100 but I'm not a sport rider. Just use it for commuting and having fun. Nice upright position and easy riding. I really miss my 08 roadliner though. 1900cc v twin was really slick. Kicking myself for selling it. You'd probably do he same with yours...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back