Replacing 14 yr old windshield

Status
Not open for further replies.
The windshield on my Infiniti has swirls of scratches that make driving into the evening sun and at night a pain. It appears to be the original factory Asahi glass. I'm thinking about getting it replaced but am worried that disturbing a 14 yr windshield and the surrounding area may create future leaks. What do you guys think? Would having a detail shop machine polish the glass be effective?

I didn't have a choice on replacement glass on a 2005 Honda last year or a 2007 Mazda this year. Both replacement were successful. In total, I have been in 4 window replacements. All coverage and work done though insurance (State Farm)and none have ever gven me any problem. Not sure what a detail shop can do.

There's no worry with replacing a windshield, except junk glass. Pilkington pits way too easy.

How about finding someone to buff the glass? Should be the best option if you can find someone to do it. They buff muscle car glass that's hard to find looks good as new

You could try and have the glass polished first. Any competent glass installer will replace the moulding when they do the windshield. They will also use a silicone sealer to prevent leaks.

Just make sure they replace the moulding and use a good bead of sealer prior to putting the new windshield in and you should have any issues. I always ask the tech to use a "primer" prior to laying the bead of sealant to make sure it sticks. It's basically an alcohol mixture that helps the silicone adhere better.

Originally Posted By: 09_GXP
Just make sure they replace the moulding and use a good bead of sealer prior to putting the new windshield in and you should have any issues. I always ask the tech to use a "primer" prior to laying the bead of sealant to make sure it sticks.

Do you really think you need to tell a glass repair tech how to do their job correctly?

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Just make sure they replace the moulding and use a good bead of sealer prior to putting the new windshield in and you should have any issues. I always ask the tech to use a "primer" prior to laying the bead of sealant to make sure it sticks.

Do you really think you need to tell a glass repair tech how to do their job correctly?

You would be amazed.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

You would be amazed.

Let me re-phrase that somewhat.

Do you really think the only reason a tech did their job correctly is because you told them how to do it beforehand? And you were able to tell that they did so afterward?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
How about finding someone to buff the glass? Should be the best option if you can find someone to do it. They buff muscle car glass that's hard to find looks good as new

Where could I get someone to professionally polish my glass? My impreza's glass is about as hard as play doh so after a little over 4 years and only 45,000 miles the glass lights up like a galaxy when I drive into the sun.

Interestingly, I called my insurance, and asked if they would replace my windshield under comprehensive glass. It is also 18 years old, and pitted and scratched to the point that I get significant glare at night.

They said, if it's not broken, it's not covered.. I thought that was a bit ridiculous.

I tried polishing it myself, but got minimal improvements, even with the silica compounds on the market.

Originally Posted By: spavel6
They said, if it's not broken, it's not covered.. I thought that was a bit ridiculous.

That's why god made hammers. Just sayin'.

Thanks for the info guys. Car's got 115K on it. OE glass from the stealership is going to be too pricey. I've always gone with reputable companies like Pilkington and PGW in the past and been fine.

I'm going to call some detailers and glass shops and see what's up.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
OE glass from the stealership is going to be too pricey. I've always gone with reputable companies like Pilkington and PGW in the past and been fine.

The reputable companies like Pilkington and PGW are considered OEM in windshield glass industry-speak. Contrast this with OEE that Safelite makes. (NOTE: Safelite will install OEM upon request)

The windshield from the dealer is called "dealer glass" and the only difference between the ones you've used and the dealer glass is the automaker's logo

Interestingly, I called my insurance, and... they said, if it's not broken, it's not covered.. I thought that was a bit ridiculous.

Throw a rock at it

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

The windshield from the dealer is called "dealer glass" and the only difference between the ones you've used and the dealer glass is the automaker's logo

I've seen Pilkington, AGC and Sekurit either etch the OEM logo or screen their logo over it for some glass pieces. Just recently I was in a Uber and I noticed one of the windows has the OEM BMW/Sekurit "bug" but it was missing the BMW logo - it has the same font and spacing as the rest of the door glass.

My preference is OEM/OES glass. If you can't get it or afford it, the only aftermarket glass I would even consider is FYG - I've heard bad things from them in the past but they've been getting OEM contracts as of late. I'm seeing a lot of glass shops install XYG ot AutoTemp glass and I can see the waviness and tint differences. However, PGW is sourcing glass from FYG - check the DOT. PGW's DOT is 904, XYG is 563.

Last edited:
Interestingly, I called my insurance, and asked if they would replace my windshield under comprehensive glass. It is also 18 years old, and pitted and scratched to the point that I get significant glare at night.

I tried polishing it myself, but got minimal improvements, even with the silica compounds on the market.
As said above, throw a rock at it.

My 97 Camry's windshield was so pitted and scratched that it too was almost impossible to see thru especially at night.

It had a chip in the windshield and I smacked it with my hand, turned into a crack. Problem solved.

That's why god made hammers. Just sayin'.

Yup, you did NOT hear it here!
whistle.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back