Looking for a high caliber semi auto rifle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited by a moderator:
Well i got a bolt already. Just looking to expand the collection. But this will be specifically for pushing and blocking deer.

If I was looking into a Semi Auto for Deer Hunting that was "high caliber", or from what I gather a .30 caliber, I'd look into all the AR-10s that are coming out.

I'm not sure I'd choose .308, as I'm a big fan of both .243 and .260, but for the purposes of bulk ammo and plinking .308 can be a lot of fun. If you can find the ammo.

The Vepr can have good accuracy, but I'm not sure about the trigger.
The Remington has a following, but I'm not sure about their quality control anymore. I hear mixed things about their other rifles.

An AR-10 you can get drop in replacements for everything. The trigger can be easily upgraded.

Also, if you like the Remington 750, but don't mind plastic, look into the Benelli R1.
I've heard wonderful things about the R1, but I think they don't make a .308. Only .30-06, .300 win mag, and .338 win mag from what I'm seeing from a quick search.

BTW, for the purposes of plinking.
About 20 years ago I had a friend with a Remington 750 decide to see how many rounds he could put through it before a malfunction.
He'd fire a magazine and let it cool off. Then continue.
He got through 33 rounds before the rifle wouldn't cycle anymore.
It's not a knock if you are hunting, but if you want to go blasting the 750 may leave something to be desired.
He still used his to hunt, he just knew it wasn't a lightweight battle rifle.

Last edited:
This is my DPMS .308 AR-10. I don't have it scoped, but it's easily done by removing the carry handle rear sight, and installing the rings and scope of you're choice. You can purchase up to 25 round magazines for it. But for hunting you'll need 5 rounder's to be legal. They're available as well. This is a very dependable rifle that can feed most any weight or shape bullet for hunting. And it's capable of taking most anything that walks or crawls in North America. Including large bears with the correct bullet.

Originally Posted By: Gene K
High Caliber?

Browning BAR MK II Safari .338 Win. Mag.

I don't want to have shoulder problems when i'm 30.

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
High Caliber?

Browning BAR MK II Safari .338 Win. Mag.

I don't want to have shoulder problems when i'm 30.

Seriously look at the Browning BAR Stalker in 7mm-08. I'm an old guy with bad shoulders and it's my favorite deer caliber and shoots pretty soft out of that rifle.

Last edited:
I also suggest the BAR. My father had one in 30-06 and loved it. If you want something more tacticool, there is the FNAR which is basically a BAR but tuned for more accuracy and with detachable mags. BTW....30 caliber is not "High Caliber", it is pretty much standard caliber.

Originally Posted By: billt460
This is my DPMS .308 AR-10. I don't have it scoped, but it's easily done by removing the carry handle rear sight, and installing the rings and scope of you're choice. You can purchase up to 25 round magazines for it. But for hunting you'll need 5 rounder's to be legal. They're available as well. This is a very dependable rifle that can feed most any weight or shape bullet for hunting. And it's capable of taking most anything that walks or crawls in North America. Including large bears with the correct bullet.

I've got the identical rifle. Great shooter. Very accurate. Modest recoil for a .308. Can be pressed into a variety of roles by changing magazines and optics. If I had to pick one rifle, capable of doing everything, and didn't know what I would need it for in advance, I would pick this one.

But this will be specifically for pushing and blocking deer.

What kind of hunting is that, where you need a "large caliber rifle" to lay down covering fire? Never heard of it. W T F?

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

What kind of hunting is that, where you need a "large caliber rifle" to lay down covering fire? Never heard of it. W T F?

He is talking about a deer drive. He needs a deer caliber as opposed to 5.56 /.223 and he needs a semiauto for fast follow-up shots at moving deer.

I used a .44 Magnum Ruger Rifle for a similar role in Alabama Botoms years ago. However most shots were under 50 yards in flooded woods.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
I've got the identical rifle. Great shooter. Very accurate. Modest recoil for a .308. Can be pressed into a variety of roles by changing magazines and optics. If I had to pick one rifle, capable of doing everything, and didn't know what I would need it for in advance, I would pick this one.

One other important thing I should mention with this rifle over other semi auto hunting rifles, is the fact due to it's direct impingement gas system it is not ammo and powder sensitive. I also have a Remington 7400 semi auto in .30-06. And I have to be careful what type of ammo I shoot in it. If I use too slow burning of a powder, it can damage the gas system. This isn't the case with direct impingement AR-10 type .308 rifles. They can shoot just about any ammo you can purchase, or handload for.

It can kinda get hairy hunting deer up here. Its like Vietnam when we go into the woods.... Pushing and blocking is were one group of people push the deer into the blockers. Kinda like when you go pheasant hunting.

Never did any pushing and blocking. Not interested in that style of killing.
I did take several deer with one shot kills using a Rem 742BDL in 30-06. It was a good shooter and much better looking than an AR, but I sold it and went to A-Bolts in .270 and 7mag some years ago.

He is talking about a deer drive. He needs a deer caliber as opposed to 5.56 /.223 and he needs a semiauto for fast follow-up shots at moving deer.

I used a .44 Magnum Ruger Rifle for a similar role in Alabama Botoms years ago. However most shots were under 50 yards in flooded woods.
Sound like he just needs a little more skill.

I've got an old Winchester M100 in .308. For a driving gun it's great! Light, short and semi-auto.

Definitely don't discount the AR10 platform, build the rifle exactly how you want it and have the "perfect" gun. In the future if you want a caliber change it's as simple as swapping the upper receiver to something different.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Just get a scoped AK47 or a 7.62x39 M1 or M-14

I am assuming this is a joke given there has never been an M1 or M14 in 7.62x39m.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back