Film on windshield

Status
Not open for further replies.
2016 Fusion. Bought Jan 3 2016. About 2 months ago, noticed windshield (interior) was getting filthy. FAST. Cleaned with microfiber and few drops of h2o. No more than 2weeks later, noticed it coming back. Cleaned with microber and few drops vinegar. Fast forward 2 weeks. Same film. Cleaned today with windex, and I hate windex. But it was the only 'glass cleaner' under the sink. Could it maybe be the cabin filter? Any other ideas? The residue is so bad, my greasy fingertip makes it look clean when I swipe at it. I though maybe my wife was hitting an e cig, but I was the only driver in the last timeframe...

I suspect it is a anti-fog coating!!!

I got the same problem on a Nissan, it just will not come off easy!! I get those armor all wipes and go town, it still leaves streaks, you don't see it until it fogs up.

I tried Windex, Tint Glass cleaner, foaming ammonia glass cleaner, armor all wipes, Plexus aviation cleaner, 303 protection, even "DSR" adhesive remover...

It's going to take a lot of elbow grease and microfiber towels, you literally got to buff that film off!
mad.gif
mad.gif
frown.gif

Leaking heater cores will do something similar, it will fog up the glass as well.

I really don't know what to do, hopefully someone has a solution in this thread, again my best results is withe the armor all glass wipes, I go through about two containers, and ten microfiber towels to get a decent job done. It's like the stuff just smears everywhere, I suspect it's silicone based anti-fog treatment... There must be a better way.

Last edited:
Is your's only noticable when it fogs? Mine is there 24/7. It has been freaking hot in SC lately.

Sounds like the offgassing of the plastic dash. I usually clean it off with a wet magic eraser followed by a microfiber. As far as preventing it, have not found a solution.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Sounds like the offgassing of the plastic dash.

Yep, brand new car and if it's in the sun getting the interior really hot it makes it out gas even more.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Sounds like the offgassing of the plastic dash.

Yep, brand new car and if it's in the sun getting the interior really hot it makes it out gas even more.

The "new car smell" is actually you inhaling off gassing of plastics and synthetic stuff. It clings to Windows. I've also noticed when I "polish" the dash so it looks all shiny...windshield gets that greasy film...off gassing.

I use Turtle Wax brand windshield and dash cleaner about once a month or so. It's better in the cool months so don't need to as often. You're also pulling in exhaust and such from cars ahead of you. Windows collect fumes. That's why they have window cleaners and rags. I had a small coolant leak in the heater core years ago and the use of the heat made a mess of my windshield, too.

I'm noticing it in my new Rubicon, only not as bad as you're describing. It's not uncommon for vinyl, plastics, etc. in new vehicles to gas out for a while. I noticed it in my van the other day too but caused by something different. I applied 303 to the dash when it was cooler out, now that it got hot is seems to be flashing off.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
If it's outgassing of the plastic, I'd crack the windows at night.

Cracking the windows at night likely won't help. The cooler surface of the glass is often slightly cooler and the plasticizers condense on it.

Home Depot has some great glass cleaner by Sprayway for only $2.39. Made in the USA, been around a long time, no ammonia, safe for window tint, been around since the 40's. Use it for the home windows as well. Found out about it from a gentleman on here. Might be on sale since only $1.97 now. Look at the reviews and I prefer it over Invisible Glass.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sprayway-19-oz-Glass-Cleaner-SW050R/202742037

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back