oil recommendation for a 86 Pontiac

Status
Not open for further replies.
HIllo all. I need a little guidance for my 86 Pontiac Fiero 2.8 v6 the motor is original with 92k miles. I have been using pennzoil pure platinum 10w -30 and change it every 6 months as it sees less then 3000 miles pure year. My dilemma Is the zddp content. Is it enough or would shell rotella t5 be a better choice? Also what about the rotella t6? Would 5w 40 hurt anything as I am in orlando and it is never cold here. Please let me know what your thoughts are on this and thank you for your help.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Switch over to Chevron Delo 10W-30.

Please explain why your preference to Delo over rotella...

Last edited:
Don't over think it. What you are doing is fine, even overkill. Go to 1 year changes in the fall.
UOA every once in a while to check for antifreeze from the intake gaskets.
When your V6 gives up, there is room for a small block V8. That's when the fun begins....

It is a flat tappet motor, but the spring pressures were less than 200lbs open. I had the 2.8 in an 86 ciera, it was a nice revving engine. I think you are fine with any correct weight oil. If you are worried you could run an sl oil like mobil 1 hm or qs defy.

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
Where you live a 5W-40 oil will not hurt anything. I do not hear of many Florida blizzards.

I can agree with the temperature not being cold here. But I was told it might be to heavy to pump... but I like the idea of t6 being full synthetic and that the Fiero being a mid engine and no overdrive turning 3000 to do 60 mph that it can't be a bad thing....

Originally Posted By: beanoil
Don't over think it. What you are doing is fine, even overkill. Go to 1 year changes in the fall.
UOA every once in a while to check for antifreeze from the intake gaskets.
When your V6 gives up, there is room for a small block V8. That's when the fun begins....

Yes I am doing a top and bottom reseal in the next few months. If the car was not all original and with the options package I would definitely do a engine swap but would be a super charged 3800. The only mods or upgrades being done will be suspension upgrades and cosmetics as in red candy and chrome powder coated motor parts plenum valve covers etc.

Quaker State Defy is SN now and not SL, and the extra ZDDP is just B...S marketing I think.

Take a look at Valvoline VR1 10W-30. It's rated SG API 1988 to 1993. Thinking about using it in my GM 3.1 if I can get it for a decent price. They claim to be using a new type of zinc/phosphorous that maintains the previous high levels of wear protection while reducing the impact on the emission system.

http://www.valvoline.com/auto-resources/motor-oil-faq-racing

http://content.valvoline.com/pdf/vr1_racing.pdf

+1 -

While Rotella T5/T Triple and T6 are great oils - I myself like Delo's additive packs better.
No real science involved, just personal preference.
I've used T5 and T triple in the past and they served me well.
You can't go wrong using either Rotella or Delo.

Originally Posted By: Bud_One

+1 -

While Rotella T5/T Triple and T6 are great oils - I myself like Delo's additive packs better.
No real science involved, just personal preference.
I've used T5 and T triple in the past and they served me well.
You can't go wrong using either Rotella or Delo.

OK I can understand that. I may have to look at both. Thanks for your input

GM worked the kinks out of the Fiero, then dis-continued it. The early models caught fire. The early 2.8s weren't known for longevity in general. My proof of that is from a friend who delivered re-manned long blocks. He said he tried to start the day with at least 6 on the truck
grin2.gif

Last edited:
SuperTech conventional 5W or 10W-30 is all you need. That will do 3k- 1 year easy. The most important thing is to keep it topped off.

I had one in 86 with the V6 I only ran Mobil 1 15w50 in it from day one. I sold it with 50,000 miles never had an issue.

You guys giving advice regarding QS Defy probably need to quit parroting things you've heard previously and look at the current specs.
I missed BigD1s post, but he's right about Defy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: vronline
You guys giving advice regarding QS Defy probably need to quit parroting things you've heard previously and look at the current specs.
I missed BigD1s post, but he's right about Defy.

The zinc content has been lowered, but the PDS still says: Boosted zinc additives for extra wear protection on
high-wear surfaces while still protecting catalytic
converter efficiencies

QS Defy PDA

I agree it's not necessarily needed for this application, but it is cheap with the rebate. So is MaxLife...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back