04 silverado 1500 z71 5.3L recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Monday I'll be picking up a new to me 2004 chevy 1500. 146k miles and has been maintained great from what I can tell. Not sure what previous owner ran in it for oil but what would you guys recommend? What weight? I would like to go 5-7500 but I know nothing about how these trucks like that distance. I'm not sure what the factory oci is for this truck. I would assume 5k or so? I live in NY so Temps in the winter can get pretty low. What do you guys recommend for oil and filter?

Last edited:
From what I have seen with UOA's and people with high miles on these engines, they are easy on oil and will last a long time on pretty much any off the shelf 5w-30. Pick your favorite and go with it or experiment with different brands. I have had 2 trucks with a 5.3. I'm currently running Castrol Magnatec 5w30. It's a syn blend and is dexos approved. If mine had any leaks I would run a high mileage oil like maxlife.

I don't know if you've had a 5.3 before, but don't be too alarmed if you hear what sounds like knocking the first minute or so after start up. They are known for piston slap which is harmless and goes away once piston warms up and fits the bore tighter. Mine is quieter on plain conventional oil but they can slap a little louder on full syn. Just ignore it and drive on and it will quiet down.

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Any good 5w30 will work well.

+1

Take your pick of any synthetic blend or full synthetic.
Follow the OLM (it's rated for conventional oil) and you'll be fine.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! Like I said it's got 146k on it but based off what I'm seeing it's been cared for over the years. I definitely want it to last a while and from what I've read the 5.3's seem to last quite a while. I'm aware of the piston slap and currently I didn't notice any unusual noises coming from the truck when first started cold or warm. What 5w30's seem to be the best out there right now for off the shelf oil? I've used pennzoil platinum in my old car and girlfriends and can't complain on it but never had a bad experience with any oil on those cars. Also, what filter is best for the chevy 5.3? I've used fram ultras before also with no complaints.

No right or wrong answer.

If it was mine Mobil 1 HM 10W30 until October then Mobil 1 HM 5W30 until April as long as the OLM goes that long.

I tend to like a little thicker oils in LS Engines and that fits the bill.

Is HM oil going to really benefit me at this point? Idk what the previous owner has used in it but what will HM oil do that a regular synthetic, syn blend, or conventional won't do? Also, what filter seems to work best on these motors?

Originally Posted By: 02s4audi
Is HM oil going to really benefit me at this point? Idk what the previous owner has used in it but what will HM oil do that a regular synthetic, syn blend, or conventional won't do? Also, what filter seems to work best on these motors?

I like the M1 HM for the additional HTHS not because it's HM. The 10W30 is a 3.5 HTHS oil like most Euro 30 Grades. The 5W30 is still 3.3 HTHS higher than any ILSAC 5W30 I know of. As I stated I like an oil with a thicker operational viscosity in the LS Engines.

NAPA GOLD 7060
I don't like the newer ACD PF46 design.

Last edited:
The ultra 10575 is a bigger version of the same filter specd for the 5.3? I'm just trying to decide with 146k on the clock and no knowledge of what oil was previously used, what I should use.

Better see what filter is on there and cross reference - Fram's site is not taking the C1500 and on GMC lumps 1500-3500 ...
Not knowing could mean the oil you choose might do some cleaning - so I'd plan a shorter run until you repeat with the brand you settle on ...
PS: Autozone has it 3506 in Fram ...

Last edited:
I figured if I went high quality it could do some cleaning if nasty in there. Overall the truck definitely looks as if it's been taken care of very well. Only a 2 owner local to me truck. It's clean and cared for. So hopefully the engine is the same way

Cheering for the bro n law to make 400k in his 02 C1500 (by end of year) - Mobil Super premium conventional

Oops! I gave you the metric.

Napa Gold
1042 Short
1522 Long

Double check those numbers I have a hard time remembering the numbers these days.

The 5.3 is bullet proof. I had a 2005 Silverado that I ran whatever synthetic 5w-30 was on sale and changed when the OLM said to change (usually 7-9k miles). Engine never game me any issues.

We switch to high mileage oil at 100-150k miles here in our fleet. Usually see some consumption or such. Our modern LS motors seem to never leak.

I highly recommend Maxlife. Quiets down older engine noises and seems to make everything better. Good stuff...

I just bought the truck so not sure if consumption is an issue. Also not sure what has been run in it to this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back