Changing Oil Plug Washer without Draining Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm. I wish I had seen this, at least to give it a try, before I just did this very thing. The fiber washer on my Fumoto valve was dripping. I tried tightening it and only made it worse. So I swapped it out with a nylon washer. I only lost about a cup of oil in the process, but this video is very interesting.

I have reused those many times with no issues.
If they had a lathe they could have spun one out in a very short time
smile.gif

Looks like a setup to do a video. Because they would not have put oil in it.
That said it was neat anyways!

Yup, Ive done 50 gallon hydraulic tanks on equipment with this method. Granted, it his its limits and when you are working on the 2" main suction line for the pump it will tend to glug out slowly. I always slipped something on or in the hole to give me more time.

Clever. Wouldn't running the engine do the same thing, at least on a gasoline engine?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Clever. Wouldn't running the engine do the same thing, at least on a gasoline engine?

Really? That sounds like a decent idea, too. You wouldn't need a helper for that method.

I don't think so, a little less oil may drain out with engine running compares with engine off, but this clever method is clearly a better way to change a washer.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
The air being sucked into the oil pan is what keeps the oil from coming out.

I think it's more like putting your finger on top of a drinking straw. Simply sealing the oil fill neck wouldn't be enough because there is already air in the engine. By using the vacuum you prevent air from replacing the lost liquid. It's like using a "whiskey thief" (look it up) on your engine.

You were joking, right? Are you implying that if my drain plug came loose and came off during driving, I won't loose any oil until I turn off the engine?

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
No, there is air being sucked into the oil pan when you do this. You can hear it gurgling.

"Suction" is really a myth. With a vacuum cleaner you are creating an area of artificially low, or negative, pressure. The "suction" you feel is air at normal atmospheric pressure rushing in to fill the void. So, what they are doing here is preventing air from filling the void left behind by the oil.

If an airplane door is opened at altitude, things do not get "sucked" out of the airplane. They are pushed out by the higher pressure inside the plane compared to outside.

I just move fast and use my finger.
smile.gif

I reuse these things all the time. The Kubota G1800 is 20 years old (yearly changes) with the original crush washer.

I should have known better than to use the soft blue fiber washer that came with the Fumoto valve. When I removed it the washer was split, which explains why it was leaking. I probably made it too tight to begin with, but this type of washer does get compressed easily. I have always had the best luck with nylon washers.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
You were joking, right? Are you implying that if my drain plug came loose and came off during driving, I won't loose any oil until I turn off the engine?

You can read, right? I did use a question mark, didn't I????

Is the crankcase under vacuum when an engine is running?????

Test your theory and report back.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster

"Suction" is really a myth. With a vacuum cleaner you are creating an area of artificially low, or negative, pressure. The "suction" you feel is air at normal atmospheric pressure rushing in to fill the void. So, what they are doing here is preventing air from filling the void left behind by the oil.

If an airplane door is opened at altitude, things do not get "sucked" out of the airplane. They are pushed out by the higher pressure inside the plane compared to outside.

eyerollXLpink.gif

Whatever the technical terminology is, if you put a vacuum on the oil fill of an engine, and pull the drain plug, you will be able to see and hear the air bubbling through the drain hole and into the oil pan.

Not in the least.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
No, there is air being sucked into the oil pan when you do this. You can hear it gurgling.

If your theory was true, taping saran wrap over the filler would do the "finger straw" thing...then the static head of the oil would have to displace enough air to ensure that a pressure head on the air inside/outside would be reached, and the oil would all be on the floor.

This is like...ohh...sucking on a straw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back