Window Air Conditioners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Havent been in the market for a window air conditioner for some time..so im asking for suggestions at this point.. I have been researching for a few days and im somewhat confused.

Reason for needing- The upstairs to my farmhouse has 3 bedrooms and will be turning 1 into an office, the other into a guest room and another into a kids room. The ductwork isnt going to happen, and i am not going to go with a mini split system..due to all the piping and wiring and all that involved..also would like my detached garage to be air conditioned in case i would need it...so in the market for 3 window units.

Confusion- Ok the research says LG is the current best- but I cannot walk into Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, Sears, Best Buy etc. and get one. I will have to order and wait 1 to 2 weeks. The next best is Frigidaire which i can only walk into Lowes and get. The third best would be General Electric which i can only go to Walmart and get.

Sure i can order at amazon or walmart online..but the reviews are riddled with damage upon shipping.

Anyone bought a window unit in the past few years and have anything good to say or bad? I will be dropping around $1000 on three units which isnt bad considering but still to buy a shot in the dark by ordering online then to find out it was damaged in shipping and having to return it via shipping and waiting for a replacement via shipping seems like a crazy mess...which is why i would rather buy something that is stocked and if something happens drop it off at the front desk and grab another..

I've never bought a brand new one, but the ones I got 3 years ago for my city apartment for $40 off of craigslist have been chugging along just fine..

Depending on the budget, you might try looking for used ones.. Both of the ones I got were from folks moving out and not wanting to transport their almost brand new units..

I would not worry about shipping, especially from Amazon. If it's damaged they will send you another unit overnight for free.

I'm going through the same thing myself the past 2 weeks trying to replace a 1982 Carrier through the wall 8K unit. I don't like what I see out there. Units that last 1-2 years and like you said, often damaged after shipping. I only need AC for about 14 days per year...or when it's above 85-90 degrees. Yesterday I had a Friedrich rep stop by and check out my setup. I'd really like to use my old wall sleeve and just drop another similar sized unit into that slot and seal it up. Unfortunately unless I used the mfg's sleeve, etc. I void the warranty regardless of how meticulous I am with ensuring vents fully exposed/proper ventilation on all sides.

LG makes the components for the majority of units built today, even Friedrich. So figure you're getting an LG compressor and other major components no matter what brand you buy. So I'm just looking at price and figure the unit will only last 1-2 years. No matter how I stick a window OR through the wall unit through my wall sleeve, I'll probably still get past the warranty period, especially with only using it for a few weeks each year. I'd consider any of them: LG, GE, Frigidaire, Friedrich, Keystone, Arctic King, etc. Right now looking mainly at LG and probably a 12K unit (LG LW1216 ER). On line dealers like A.J. Madison have good prices and supposedly can ship to you in 2-5 days. But, like you, then what do you do when it's broken upon receipt and you have no local support? Then again, all the units stocked on shelves in the big stores were shipped. You can just as easily pick up one with previous shipping/handling damage. I've read some of the reviews on consumer reports and customer service for warrantied AC units seems to be a thing of the past.

One of my local appliance stores was selling off older show room models the past month for 75% off. I missed them. But, I'd certainly have gone that way.

They tend to be very noisy. For $1000 I would seriously consider a mini-split system, especially if it is on the first floor. I am OK with window units on a second floor, but on a first floor window, IMO, it's like asking for a break-in.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
Havent been in the market for a window air conditioner for some time..so im asking for suggestions at this point.. I have been researching for a few days and im somewhat confused.

Reason for needing- The upstairs to my farmhouse has 3 bedrooms and will be turning 1 into an office, the other into a guest room and another into a kids room. The ductwork isnt going to happen, and i am not going to go with a mini split system..due to all the piping and wiring and all that involved..also would like my detached garage to be air conditioned in case i would need it...so in the market for 3 window units.

Confusion- Ok the research says LG is the current best- but I cannot walk into Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, Sears, Best Buy etc. and get one. I will have to order and wait 1 to 2 weeks. The next best is Frigidaire which i can only walk into Lowes and get. The third best would be General Electric which i can only go to Walmart and get.

Sure i can order at amazon or walmart online..but the reviews are riddled with damage upon shipping.

Anyone bought a window unit in the past few years and have anything good to say or bad? I will be dropping around $1000 on three units which isnt bad considering but still to buy a shot in the dark by ordering online then to find out it was damaged in shipping and having to return it via shipping and waiting for a replacement via shipping seems like a crazy mess...which is why i would rather buy something that is stocked and if something happens drop it off at the front desk and grab another..

Friedrich is pretty much the premium brand in the window AC world. If I were buying for a living space, I would definitely go with a Freidrich Kuhl unit in spite of the higher price. Their window units are typically very quiet compared to others and have a lot more premium features. Yes, they do use LG compressors- its either that or Rotorex for the most part. But the rest of the system is what makes it possible to live with it- the insulation, sound deadening, fan and ducting design, filter, etc. And the evap/condensor coils are what give it efficiency.

At the other extreme, you can get a very reliable LG at Home Depot. They're solid and dependable and use the same compressor obviously, but they are very loud and ultimately won't last quite like a Freidrich. I've got one in my garage, but I wouldn't want to try to actually live in a room with it.

As zzyzzx said, mini-splits are way better in terms of features, efficiency, and quiet. But they cost a premium.You couldn't buy ONE mini-split for $1k, even if you installed it yourself.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
They tend to be very noisy. For $1000 I would seriously consider a mini-split system, especially if it is on the first floor. I am OK with window units on a second floor, but on a first floor window, IMO, it's like asking for a break-in.

From what i can tell the mini-split will end up costing around $2500 http://www.fixr.com/costs/ductless-air-conditioner-installation

Also from the reading the parts for these units will either be non existant or expensive when the time comes...and a technician will have to do the repairs.

I am ok with a window unit going bad in 3 years and just remove and replace...that is $100 per year for comfort.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

Friedrich is pretty much the premium brand in the window AC world. If I were buying for a living space, I would definitely go with a Freidrich Kuhl unit in spite of the higher price. Their window units are typically very quiet compared to others and have a lot more premium features. Yes, they do use LG compressors- its either that or Rotorex for the most part. But the rest of the system is what makes it possible to live with it- the insulation, sound deadening, fan and ducting design, filter, etc. And the evap/condensor coils are what give it efficiency.

At the other extreme, you can get a very reliable LG at Home Depot. They're solid and dependable and use the same compressor obviously, but they are very loud and ultimately won't last quite like a Freidrich. I've got one in my garage, but I wouldn't want to try to actually live in a room with it.

As zzyzzx said, mini-splits are way better in terms of features, efficiency, and quiet. But they cost a premium.You couldn't buy ONE mini-split for $1k, even if you installed it yourself.

Fridrich Kuhl 8000BTU $950 and also only available to be bought online...and I have no idea who you would call for repairs or parts if needed due to only being able to purchase online.

From my weeks worth of research i am gathering that window a/c units are throwaway. If in 2 years the unit dies it will surely cost more than $150 to repair. A new unit is $200-$300 (LG, Frigidaire,GE)

If the Kuhl lasted 10 years then the point would be made that it was worth it...Im figuring that $100/yr is the cost of owning an a/c with most window units needing replaced after 2-3 yrs nowadays.

Fridrich Kuhl 8000BTU $950 and also only available to be bought online...and I have no idea who you would call for repairs or parts if needed due to only being able to purchase online.

From my weeks worth of research i am gathering that window a/c units are throwaway. If in 2 years the unit dies it will surely cost more than $150 to repair. A new unit is $200-$300 (LG, Frigidaire,GE)

If the Kuhl lasted 10 years then the point would be made that it was worth it...Im figuring that $100/yr is the cost of owning an a/c with most window units needing replaced after 2-3 yrs nowadays.

My small Freidrich in the laundry room is >16 years old. 10 years is not unexpected if you keep the filter clean, and maybe slide it out of its sleeve every spring and hose down the condensor and bottom tray. I also usually configure mine to drip the condensate. Most recommend letting it pool so the condensor fan slinger can spray it on the condensor- which does improve efficiency but also shortens the life of the unit IME.

As for buying, Grainger is a re-seller and you can pick up at your local store if shipping is a worry. They are often treated as "throw away," but any appliance service company that does refrigerators probably also does window ACs. And they have a list of service centers here: http://www.service-center-locator.com/friedrich/friedrich-service-center.htm

But seriously, for an office I'd spring for the cost of a mini-split, just for the quiet, life expectancy, and higher efficiency.

Last edited:
I buy these at nearest store with a good return policy (eg Home deport, Lowes, Walmart) . It name be a dud or you just don't like it (noise). You don't want to have to deal with the RMA nonsense and the hassle of shipping it back (even if free).

You couldn't buy ONE mini-split for $1k, even if you installed it yourself.

Sure you can. Heat pumps even. Highseer

I have installed three. A 9k unit in my son's bedroom, and a 12k in mine and my Dad's master bedrooms.

We have an LG window unit, works well and we actually cool/dehumidify our whole house with it by putting it in an upstairs hall window. If you've got some factors working for you (good insulation, shaded roof and windows, leave room doors open), you might not need one in each room.
The odd time we'll have enough hot days and nights in a row so that the house doesn't stay quite cool enough, but then a small fan blowing dry air on you does the rest.

3 weeks ago I bought an 8k BTU LG at Home Depot for $229. I walked in, picked it up off the pallet and took it home. It's upstairs cooling a bedroom, hall, 1/2 bath and a small office. The fan is powerful enough to blow air from the bedroom, down the hallway and into the office. No, it's not quiet on high, but it's working well.

Took the tour today to see what i can physically buy if I want one today or this weekend.

LG- Cannot Find.

Frigidaire- Best Buy had 2 units on the floor, Lowes had about 20 or so of each model

GE- Home Depot has plenty, Walmart seemed to be sold out of most of them but there were probably lots in the back. Sams Club had a few of each model.

So if i choose 12000 BTU i have two choices, the Frigidaire is $350 at lowes and the GE is $250 at walmart.

So I can blindly order the LG and have it in a week..and if something is wrong with it i guess i can wait another week to replace it. I can get the Frigidaire from Lowes which is a new model and has almost no reviews...or i can go with what everybody else seems to be buying and get a GE and save $200.

I have read all the GE reviews from Walmart and Homedepot and they are all glowing except for a few people that give it a 1. I always suspect that there is someone in Bangladesh writing half these reviews anyways.

I guess i am stunned at how LG is the best but its not for sale to the common man or someone shopping for an ac today..same with Friedrich.

I did not mention Kenmore (Sears) in my quest due to my fear that Sears is going bankrupt any day now. Growing up in the 70s and 80s Kenmore was the way to go but in todays time i just dont have a place for them.

My general feeling is that if i lived in an apartment, trailer, mobil home or older home without central air and my unit went out...I would basically be faced with a GE..unless i happened to go to Lowes.

Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner
3 weeks ago I bought an 8k BTU LG at Home Depot for $229. I walked in, picked it up off the pallet and took it home. It's upstairs cooling a bedroom, hall, 1/2 bath and a small office. The fan is powerful enough to blow air from the bedroom, down the hallway and into the office. No, it's not quiet on high, but it's working well.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Electronic...016ER/206520588

This item is not in stock within 100 miles of me, and it wont let me add it to my cart...so i guess I would have to go to the store and special order it.

Its the best rated air conditioner according to http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-air-conditioner/ but i cannot seem to get one unless i order it..which to me seems odd.

For $239 its not that big of a gamble to stock a few of these units in each store during the heat of summer but what do i know.

i just saw this thread. I STILL have a window a/c, from 1979!!! It recently started losing its coolness, so i want to get it recharged, if I can. I like old stuff.

IMO, Frigidaire is the best IMO. I really like the features that Frigidaire has. I would buy locally.

But all the rage these days is the wall mount split units.

My Grandma has a Fedders from '77 that still works. Blows really cold as well.

If you like the Frigidaire, check out the Danby.
It too is an Electrolux brand, and they seem to be more widely available.

The quest: Walk into a store in the middle of summer and get a 12000BTU window air conditioner..

Walmart- 1 store within 75 miles had 2 units.. called the store the person working that department was off today..nobody could give an answer even with the item numbers etc. Was going to get the units today due to online showing the two units.. but i checked this morning and zero stock. This unit was $100 cheaper per unit than any other 12000 BTU that i have seen..so it must be discontinued.

Best Buy- They had one unit within 50 miles.

Home Depot- GE brand - All consumer reviews are glowing like its the best unit ever made...yet every other review on blogs, forums or youtube say avoid due to noise and quality.

Lowes- Frigidaire- Most consumer reviews arent good, pretty much avoid if I can.

I guess i am crazy but I would think that window ACs would have to be high demand during the summer.. just for the fact that if someones central air went out and they needed relief...not to mention the amount of current window acs that get replaced or fail during a hot summer.

If i want a weedeater or mower i can go literally anywhere and pick from a large selection...a/c not really.

Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner

Today, BJ's wholesale club Waterford, CT had a stack of these LG LW8016ER's just as you walk through the door, $199 - $10 discount. I picked one up. Sam's Club shows them at $196 on line. No shortage of Fridgidaire's (Lowe's) or Arctic Kings (Walmart) either.

I use several at my camp and shop. Lucky to get 5 years from units out there today ...
Fred is top notch - too hard for me to find.
Others I'd rank: Sears, Frig, GE, ...
LG lasted 3 years - high dollar some beach too 230v with heating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back