Im Asked What New Vehicles Have The Best Engines ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in the engine business a long time and people always ask me what in my opinion is the best engine these days for new cars under $40,000.. I always say i like the Modular Fords and a few others like Some of the Hyundai engines or even a couple of GM engines. This question comes up often and i was curious what everyone here thought.
I know we all have opinions but im wondering what the mindset these days is here on bitog regarding engines. In the 80's it was a different ball game and i would have said Toyota and Honda for the most part but today it's a new ball game.

The Coyote in my F150 is awesome as is the 2.0L turbo in my wife's new KIA Optima.

I've built and raced small block Chevys and Olds and the AMC 2.5L in my Jeep makes 150+ HP - although I used the best components I could get.

Most engines these days are outstanding. Think about it - those of us old enough to remember "Muscle Cars". Look what we have today; family sedans with 11:1 compression and 300HP SUV's. It's a great time to be an auto enthusiast.

I don't know if you could pick one "best".

Although you might not agree with some of the picks, I think the yearly "Ward's Best Engines" put out by Ward's Auto has a finger on the pulse of what's innovative, well executed, honest, etc. I'd agree that you'd have to define "best" because Ward's list is just one definition of "best" out of many.

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
The Coyote in my F150 is awesome as is the 2.0L turbo in my wife's new KIA Optima.

I've built and raced small block Chevys and Olds and the AMC 2.5L in my Jeep makes 150+ HP - although I used the best components I could get.

Most engines these days are outstanding. Think about it - those of us old enough to remember "Muscle Cars". Look what we have today; family sedans with 11:1 compression and 300HP SUV's. It's a great time to be an auto enthusiast.

I don't know if you could pick one "best".

Agreed; I have a daily driver that averages over 26 mpg and can run the quarter in a tick under 13 seconds. This is truly a golden age for performance cars.

I dunno... I'm still building BBC's and SBF's
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Any small block Chevy V8 after about 1988.

Honda K24, 1.7 civic engine.

Not under 40k, but the Hellcat.

There are no more good engines for four reasons:

1. multiple cylinder deactivation
2. variable valve timing
3. direct fuel injection
4. electric throttle bodies

Good question.
When I buy new cars I don't want one that loses 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles.
That is a fiasco that is still live and well.

Ford's modular engines are among the longest lasting engines. Not the most efficient, not the most powerful, compact or lightweight. However, cabs, limo's, trucks and vans powered by modular engines are known to last 900,000 miles! Even my old modular powered truck topped 300K miles (and is still going strong) with simple, regular maintenance, zero engine troubles!

The wonderful Small Block Chevy can also be a fairly long life engine. However, cabs, delivery trucks and other commercial vehicles don't match the Ford Modular for overall reliability and long life.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
Good question.
When I buy new cars I don't want one that loses 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles.
That is a fiasco that is still live and well.

My old 2005 Lesabre L3800 engine was an oil user till I finally replaced the darn PCV valve for 4 bucks and the nuisance oil usage stopped. It was my fault for not discovering it sooner....

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
There are no more good engines for four reasons:

1. multiple cylinder deactivation
2. variable valve timing
3. direct fuel injection
4. electric throttle bodies

5. engine start/stop.

But really, some of those things do seem to add complexity and issues. VVT seems pretty ironed out by now, while you'll still have the occasional Electric throttle body go wonky.

Like others are saying, modular ford engines (I have one). I've seen them modded to heck, raced in stock form wrapped in an otherwise race prepped car. Some one else said it... not the most powerful, but pretty darn reliable. Also I know the 4.6 3v was on Wards 10 best list a couple times, I'd bet the new 5.0 has been.

Also, Fun/reliable/interesting - Honda K-Series. In the Civic SI, Honda S2000, Acura RSX S, Acura TSX. Wonderful engines. They dont have big power like some of the turbo cars, but depending on the roads/track they still run with em.

Sleeper pick.

3.2L 5 cylinder Ford diesel Powerstroke available in 2015 and newer Ford Transits. Built in South Africe, a world engine for Ford.
Starts at -25F without plugging block heater in, great power and beats MB Sprinter 3.0L diesel by almost 10% in fuel economy.
Uses commonly available CJ-4 diesel oil and Ford filter (low cost maintenance) vs 229.51 elixir oil.
I have hundreds in my fleet of each type of vehicle, same application.

While I respect your opinion for current engines with old design. I think you are predicting the weather a month out stating anything about new designs.

Originally Posted By: Danno
Sleeper pick.

3.2L 5 cylinder Ford diesel Powerstroke available in 2015 and newer Ford Transits. Built in South Africe, a world engine for Ford.

I didnt know until just now you could get that engine in the US (in the transit). Thats pretty neat. If they threw that into something like a Ranger here, it would probably sell fairly well.

To add to this, it may be too soon to tell from a reliability standpoint, but the Chevy colorado Diesel. 2.8 4 cylinder making like 370 torque and still managing decent fuel economy.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
What do you mean by "best?"

Yeah, really, best in terms of what? Performance? Reliability? Fuel economy? NVH? Ease of maintenace?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back