DMV

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
When I went to get my driver's license renewed, our local motor-vehicle bureau was packed. The line inched along for almost an hour until the man ahead of me finally got his license.

He inspected his photo for a moment and commented to the clerk, "I was standing in line so long, I ended up looking pretty grouchy in this picture."

The clerk looked at his picture closely. "It's okay," he reassured the man, "that's how you're going to look when the cops pull you over anyway."

crackmeup2.gif

Utah is a very well-run state. The DMV is no exception. You can drive up to renew your registration (if you don't wish to do it online) and it's a ten minute process. To renew your license it's a half-hour-tops, depending how quickly you can finish the written test if applicable.

The DMV's in Illinois have signs that say you will be arrested if you argue or use profanity to the staff.

In my part of NJ an old, large DMV was heavily remodeled. Perhaps others were too.
At least one small office was opened to serve the public during the renovation. Perhaps there were more.
The one I used was cramped BUT IT WORKED WELL.
Everyone tightened up and the employees communicated clearly etc.
The big one is back online and isn't near as efficient as far as I can tell.
Funny.
NOTE: DMV in NJ is actually called MVC (Motor Vehicle Commission)

Most transactions in texas are handled online.

You can even print a temp tag from your home computer. They verify that you have insurance then you print and put it in the window.

In Texas, your DL is valid for six years. You can renew online every other time. So, every twelve years you have to go to a DMV office to get a new photo taken. Too bad you can't do it like your passport and send in your own photos. I had to go to a DMV location to renew my license last year. I stood in a short line to get my number, then, got to sit and wait to be called. It took a total of two hours. That's not terribly efficient these days.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
The DMV's in Illinois have signs that say you will be arrested if you argue or use profanity to the staff.

Solution: learn profanity in foreign languages.
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
In Texas, your DL is valid for six years. You can renew online every other time. So, every twelve years you have to go to a DMV office to get a new photo taken. Too bad you can't do it like your passport and send in your own photos. I had to go to a DMV location to renew my license last year. I stood in a short line to get my number, then, got to sit and wait to be called. It took a total of two hours. That's not terribly efficient these days.

Wish I could renew online.
frown.gif
But no: have to go every time due to having a CDL.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Utah is a very well-run state. The DMV is no exception. You can drive up to renew your registration (if you don't wish to do it online) and it's a ten minute process. To renew your license it's a half-hour-tops, depending how quickly you can finish the written test if applicable.

Here, you don't even need to go to the DMV. Any company that sells insurance can do registration, renewals, whatever. I have an insurance broker two blocks from my home, there is almost always no one in line, and the renewal process itself is about two minutes of my time. A new registration might run two minutes longer.

And yes, you can also do it online. But it actually takes a bit longer to do it online than in person, plus you have to wait a few days for the new documents to arrive in the mail (you do get to print out a temp one).

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

cool.gif

Won't save you nowadays. Unless you use Latin or Ancient Greek.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Originally Posted By: CKN

Here, you don't even need to go to the DMV. Any company that sells insurance can do registration, renewals, whatever. I have an insurance broker two blocks from my home, there is almost always no one in line, and the renewal process itself is about two minutes of my time. A new registration might run two minutes longer.

And yes, you can also do it online. But it actually takes a bit longer to do it online than in person, plus you have to wait a few days for the new documents to arrive in the mail (you do get to print out a temp one).

Last time I had to renew I went to one of the new shops that have opened. For $15 extra, I think it was, you don't have to wait in line, the employees are pleasant and sharp . . . and the lady taking my picture let me do 2 extra shots, and let me pick the one I preferred!

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

cool.gif

Won't save you nowadays. Unless you use Latin or Ancient Greek.

My father in law can manage German and Russian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back