The good, bad, ugly pop up campers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a pop-up & love it! My wife refuses to use a camper w/out a toilet, so me & my buddies drag it everywhere and party like rockstars!

My folks had a '71 Starcraft pop-up for years, took it all over. Definitely better in the mountains than in Florida (it didn't have AC). It :). Overall, it was comfortable. Never got wet inside, the propane stove provided enough heat (cracking the roof vent an a zipper allowed plenty of fresh air in). It had a lot more "living" space than larger hard-side trailers simply because the two beds were outside the main trailer body when it was set up.

As good as it was, todays pop-ups look a lot better better. It was fairly heavy for its size, had skinny tires that were difficult to change (and failed often). It towed well because of the low profile- not much wind buffet. All in all, modern pop-ups look like they still have the plusses with fewer minuses, but I don't have direct experience with them.

Borrowed one for 3 week family trip out west several years ago. Loved it! Much more comfortable than sleeping on the ground in a tent. Wish I had bought one when my kids were younger and gone on more "adventures". I say go for it.

My friends who have them enjoy them, and with an older one you might as well get new bearings to start, and perhaps tires depending on their age. It's also storage for all your camping stuff which is handy.

They can be excellent. They are lighter than any camper (saves you gas money) and offer pretty much the same features since the bottom half can be pretty much fully stuffed with hardware, any empty space can hold some of your gear.

They are not for people who prefer a motorhome-type camping experience. Rented Cabins are a good substitute for people who prefer those. If you're not afraid of staying in a tent, they are a much nicer alternative as long as a road leads to where you want to vacation.

Just like a used car, $2 - $3K gets you one thing. $4 - $5K gets you something else................... including less problems, miles, wear and tear, etc. Better ones have a porta potti type unit, shower, etc.

Last edited:
Just asked my friend about these a week ago; he had one for a few years that he got cheap.

1) soft side=not really sleeping indoors, just a tent on wheels. Some don't like that.
2) He said it was a chore storing in the winter to avoid getting the musty, moldly smell the next summer; he lives in lower Hudson River Valley.

Not much of a contribution, but i thought I would add.

Last edited:
My uncle had one and eventually liked camping so much he upgraded to a F450 "real RV." Good starter mobile.

We had one when we were kids. Pulled it behind a old Chevy Impala. 4 kids and it was tight. But we had fun. You have to compare to what? A tent? Pop-up much better.

Been there, done that. We had an 8 foot box for a long time. A lot of fun, kept us out of the rain, way better than a tent. It's a gateway drug though. A 26 foot followed, then a 28, a 30, now a 33 and the F350 to pull it with.
But camping is a blast, and you get a whole new perspective on things with a nice campfire and a very cold adult beverage in one hand, and a warm smore or hobo pie in the other.

Originally Posted By: Donald
What is the tow vehicle. How many people in family (children ages), dogs?

Family of 5 no pets with a 2007 Acura MDX(5000 lb tow capacity).

Lots of helpful input here.

My friend bought a $3500 one here and we proceeded to tow it for over 5k miles of road trip behind an old E-150 conversion van. Best decision ever.. I'd suggest it

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Originally Posted By: Donald
What is the tow vehicle. How many people in family (children ages), dogs?

Family of 5 no pets with a 2007 Acura MDX(5000 lb tow capacity).

Lots of helpful input here.

Keep in mind that you don't actually have 5000 lbs of towing capacity once you're loaded down with people and gear. However, most pop ups are far less than that anyway. I've never owned one but know people that do. Definitely an upgrade over a tent, and many these days have most of the features of a full size camper.

Beats a tent. But a tent is cheaper to replace if the canvas takes a tear.

Water is their worst enemy--that's true for any RV, or house for the matter. Check the corners of the box, the four corners of the floor underneath, as that seems to be the area first hit by water leaks. Check the caulking. Make sure they didn't use a silicon caulk to fix, as it tends to dry out and turn rock hard.

I have a 12' pup, I'm in decent shape, and I'd say it's maybe 15 minutes to get it set up. Half of that would be just getting it level. No slide out on the side; it's basically an overgrown version of the venerable 8' pup. Usually bigger is heavier, but mine is an older unit, so it's actually on the light side--they've packed on the pounds as the years have gone by. We like the layout, and while you'd be tempted to think 12' is huge for 4 people, try hanging out in a pup on a rainy day. Speaking of rain, one of my joys in life is sitting in the camper and listening to the rain (well at least when it is not pouring).

One issue is packing. It's annoying to open the camper to pack up for a trip. On mine I can't even get to the fridge without cracking the top. With my overgrown station wagon though much of the travel gear goes into it instead. So some stuff goes into the camper (utensils, stuff that can stay in it) but much of the last minute stuff goes into the truck, at least for travel. I like to think it keeps the weight off the trailer tires, maybe it will let them last longer. Make sure you have some outside compartment doors (my 8' lacked those, chock blocks had to be stored in the tow vehicle). The storage trunk on the front can be great, but many of them are blocked off to the world when the bunk is pulled out, and they can be a source of leaks too.

I don't use the water tank; I just buy a few gallons of water at a grocery store, and refill at the campsite. That way I can skip on the winterizing stuff. Call me lazy.
wink.gif
I tarp mine in the winter, mostly to make snow removal easier, but also just in case of leaks.

Popups have like zero insulation. Their ac won't keep up on a hot day if it's located in the sun--some will drape additional layers of insulation over the bunks. Likewise, I don't think you're going to stay real warm below freezing (and many worry about cracking the canvas in sub-freezing weather also). I've toyed with getting a portable ac unit as I don't trust the roof on mine, but word is the ac unit on the roof is the way to go--all other options aren't that great. That is the one thing I wish I had, as our family doesn't do heat&humidity real well. Otherwise, I do have a furnace, a tiny fridge and a small sink, along with decent counterspace.

Lift systems can be costly to repair--or cheap. My first pup wouldn't open so I bought it on the cheap. I lucked out and it was a Goshen system, which uses basically a boat winch. $20 to replace the entire cable and away we went. The current pup is an L&W (?) and a bit more complex; others have the cable systems buried inside the camper--good luck with repairs. Thankfully repairs aren't that common, and usually the systems are mechanically simple. One thing to watch out for is ABS roofs. I'd avoid them, on the basis of doing some reading; but some aren't scared of them. Do your research if you think about getting one with an ABS roof.

Friends of ours just got a popup, as they figured it'd make for cheap(er) family vacations. Why get a hotel when you can stay at a park? I think you have to be careful here: if it's just for a few nights, the drop in mpg, the purchase cost of the pup and incidentals might not work in your favor, as compared to a couple nights in a hotel. YMMV, but if it's being done under the though of "it's gotta be cheaper!" then do out the math. Our friends did have to buy airbags for their minivan and a brake controller; cheap money but it seems camping keeps running into those little added costs... Myself, I had high hopes of getting a travel trailer so my tow vehicle is way oversized--but on the same token, it pulls my trailer with ease, which leads to a very peaceful, relaxing time. Zero worries about loading. Which is how I wanted it in the first place.

Good luck.

We loved ours! We had a pretty big one with 4 beds, two of which could be tables. We slept our family of 6 no problem. Make sure you get A/C! We ended up selling ours so we could "camp" on the water.

Only downside is all the time spent setting it up and tearing it down. Really makes it hard to move campsite to campsite, and you are a sweaty mess when you are done and ready to relax.

The A/C on ours could freeze us out...so it probably depends on what unit you get.

We used an electric space heater for heat...it would gulp propane at huge rates if we used the built in heater.

Always cook outside if you can...keeps it from stinking.

We used the water tank for hand washing and dishes only...not for drinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back