Video demonstrates Autopilot limited capability

Status
Not open for further replies.
This video is a little long, more than 45 minutes showed the Tesla autopilot on various roads(highway, city streets ...) and traffic(light to medium). The driver seems to know the limited capability of the autopilot and he demonstrated it with this video.

The auto-steer has its limit, the lane-change has its limit ... The features of current release can do some works but the driver needs to know where/when to take over the control of the car. This means the driver needs to pay attention to the road he/she is driving on.

Autopilot isn't actually a feature that can drive from point A to point B yet, but many owners think it is and this is a real problem.

Did Tesla clearly convey all the limitations of its autopilot to its customers is an open question. Tesla may claim that they did, but it seems owners didn't know many of the limitations.

From this video and other video on youtube, I think autopilot is capable of handling limited access highways such as Interstate highways, but not US highways or state/local highways that can have crossing vehicles or traffic signal ...

Tesla needs to correct the deficiencies and errors with current release, also NHTSA needs to examine the next release and only allow Tesla release for public use after all the known flaws are fixed.

Based on this video and the recent accidents, what are wrong with current release autopilot ?

Driver is talking a little much, blah blah blah for the full 45 minutes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The auto-steer has its limit, the lane-change has its limit ... The features of current release can do some works but the driver needs to know where/when to take over the control of the car. This means the driver needs to pay attention to the road he/she is driving on.

Autopilot isn't actually a feature that can drive from point A to point B yet, but many owners think it is and this is a real problem.

Did Tesla clearly convey all the limitations of its autopilot to its customers is an open question. Tesla may claim that they did, but it seems owners didn't know many of the limitations.

Tesla can "explain" the limitations to the customers all that they want, but again, TELLING someone that they have to remain alert and attentive while taking all of the activities off them doesn't work.

If the driver has to be FULLY aware of everything, and take instant action, disengaging them from the process does precisely the opposite to their brain, making them far slower to identify threats, assess the situation, and take instant action.

they either need to do it all, under all conditions, or stop with this silly half way there process that is putting the lives of people who DIDN'T opt in for this technology at risk.

Yea go to Teslas webpage and they show this feature as something that works well on a highway going straight, like stop and go traffic. They make it clear this is not a self driving car but as said people are idiots and will try to use it for something its not made for or sold as.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Tesla can "explain" the limitations to the customers all that they want, but again, TELLING someone that they have to remain alert and attentive while taking all of the activities off them doesn't work.

If the driver has to be FULLY aware of everything, and take instant action, disengaging them from the process does precisely the opposite to their brain, making them far slower to identify threats, assess the situation, and take instant action.

they either need to do it all, under all conditions, or stop with this silly half way there process that is putting the lives of people who DIDN'T opt in for this technology at risk.

The video is very long, more than 45 minutes with various road conditions, from urban streets to suburban streets to highway.

The driver seems to have good experience with Tesla autopilot, this 35 miles drive is his daily commute so he know where to take over the control of the car, Tesla auto pilot doesn't have capability of making sharp turns to either the left or the right, at least one of the turns the driver had to manually reduce speed to prevent a possible accident.

As I said, it seems autopilot is capable of interstate highway driving because of limited access. But lane changing isn't perfect yet because autopilot doesn't have ability to detect fast approaching vehicles, so driver is needed to make sure no vehicle within several hundreds feet are coming up fast in the lane he/she want to change to.

The driver is only need to disengage autopilot when he/she exits highway.

PS Looks like there are 2 levels on the stalk to engage autopilot, the first click on the left stalk is to engage adaptive cruise control, the second click to engage auto-steer.

Drive will not engage either function if he/she doesn't click on that left stalk.

Tesla doesn't force drivers to use autopilot all the time. Drivers choose to use it by his/her own action by controlling the left stalk.

Last edited:
This video is a little long

Tesla can "explain" the limitations

The two of you need to seek some serious couples therapy.

Yes, how about that? Tesla Drivers, in their naive child-like excitement at novel 'future' technologies, are inadvertently assuming full liability and greater risk to their well-being to provide Tesla motor with extremely valuable data sets for it's beta testing. If something goes awry, the finger can be pointed to the user for making the choice to activate it, or neglecting to shadow it. Tesla wins and all risk is assumed by end user. Nice. I just think it's weird to pay 100k of your own money to purchase company's product only to subsequently work for that same company for free
crazy2.gif

PS Looks like there are 2 levels on the stalk to engage autopilot, the first click on the left stalk is to engage adaptive cruise control, the second click to engage auto-steer.

Drive will not engage either function if he/she doesn't click on that left stalk.

Tesla doesn't force drivers to use autopilot all the time. Drivers choose to use it by his/her own action by controlling the left stalk.

I think Shannow was referring to the people NOT driving a Tesla being put at risk...

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Yes, how about that? Tesla Drivers, in their naive child-like excitement at novel 'future' technologies, are inadvertently assuming full liability and greater risk to their well-being to provide Tesla motor with extremely valuable data sets for it's beta testing. If something goes awry, the finger can be pointed to the user for making the choice to activate it, or neglecting to shadow it. Tesla wins and all risk is assumed by end user. Nice. I just think it's weird to pay 100k of your own money to purchase company's product only to subsequently work for that same company for free
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: teslamotors.com
Model S says very clearly that Autopilot costs $2,500 if you pre-pay or $3,000 if you pay after delivery.

https://forums.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/cost-autopilot

Owners paid for this option, this isn't a standard feature. The smart cruise control is a standard feature or not, I don't know.

I don't know details of other accidents involved autopilot, but the accident in Florida that killed a Navy Seal Vet was Tesla fault. Tesla will get a lawsuit for that accident and most likely they will settle out of court, for how much I don't know.

Personally, I wouldn't pay a penny for autopilot when it is my time to finalize Model 3 order sometimes in 2018.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic

I think Shannow was referring to the people NOT driving a Tesla being put at risk...

Yep, that's what I wrote...pedestrians wearing white tracksuits don't make the choice as to whether some numbskull is driving with it on.

Did you see the bold and underlined of Shannow's post ?

Not only driver needs to engage left stalk twice to turn on autopilot, they also paid $2500 or $3000 depends on when they want it, before delivery or after. This extra cost and the action they do to turn on autopilot is telling me the owner/driver opt in.

Yep, that's what I wrote...pedestrians wearing white tracksuits don't make the choice as to whether some numbskull is driving with it on.

Who wrote "who DIDN'T opt in for this technology" ?

The owner/driver paid more than $2,000 for this autopilot option, and the driver had to click the left stalk twice to engage autopilot. This is clearly owner/driver choice

If this autopilot is a standard feature and every time the car is running it is on and can't be turned off then you can say they that Tesla forces owner/driver to be a test object.

I agree that current autopilot isn't perfect, it has many flaws and all the flaws should be fixed before it can be release, and NHTSA needs to get involve with this new technology and only allow Tesla release next version after carefully examine all features of it. In the mean time Tesla had to recall and refund purchase price to owners immediately. The way I saw in some video more accidents will happen with current autopilot.

From this video and other video on youtube, I think autopilot is capable of handling limited access highways such as Interstate highways, but not US highways or state/local highways that can have crossing vehicles or traffic signal ...

Tesla needs to correct the deficiencies and errors with current release, also NHTSA needs to examine the next release and only allow Tesla release for public use after all the known flaws are fixed.

Last edited:

I wrote it, and clearly you have difficulties with the written word...go back and read it until you get it.

Tesla are beta testing on PUBLIC roads.

The 250M people SHARING the roads with this experiment DID NOT OPT IN for it, nor were given any choice but to share the roads with these people, these cars, and this "technology". They will be unwitting victims in Tesla's RandD.

Is that clear ?

You original sentence wasn't clear "putting the lives of people who DIDN'T opt in for this technology at risk." If you wrote it like this " putting the lives of driving public at risk." it will make more sense.

The 300+ millions people in US didn't opt in for super car, and they have to share the road with it. There are many cars in US with more than 500-600 HP that caused many accidents over the last 12 months, driving public didn't opt in for that much power for driving 75-80 MPH on highway, they are at risk sharing the road with those monsters.

Not only Tesla is experiencing self driving car, Mercedes, BMW ... are also experiencing their version of self driving car. How about Google self driving car ? According to one person who had drive several different self driving cars Tesla is better than all.

So far no one other than 1 person killed in Florida in a Tesla car, no driving public got into accident with Tesla vehicle while it was on autopilot, at least no report of it yet.

To you, drivers who use cruise control are danger to driving public, millions drivers like you in US didn't opt for this feature, they have to share the road with dangerous drivers like myself who love using cruise control on long trip. Cruise control is here to stay, even low end car such as Toyota Corolla, Hyundai Elantra, Honda Civic ... all have cruise control

You original sentence wasn't clear "putting the lives of people who DIDN'T opt in for this technology at risk." If you wrote it like this " putting the lives of driving public at risk." it will make more sense.

From a guy who can't differentiate between "loose" and "lose", I'll stick with MY statement as to what I ACTUALLY meant, not your twisted view...other posters understood it, just you seem to not get it for whatever intention.

Thanks.

And now for something different: Consumer Reports is apparently calling for it to be disabled. Link. The link to CR is on that page, and wants me to log in, so I can only go by the news site:

Quote:
Its editors called on Tesla to disable the system until it is reprogrammed "to require drivers to keep their hands on the steering wheel."

Quote:
“Consumers should never be guinea pigs for vehicle safety 'beta' programs,” said Laura MacCleery, Consumer Reports' vice president of consumer policy and mobilization.

Quote:
Consumer Reports added that regulators struggled to keep up with the advance of autonomous driving systems and urged greater oversight of "active safety features."

"In the long run, advanced active safety technologies in vehicles could make our roads safer," MacCleery said. "But today, we're deeply concerned that consumers are being sold a pile of promises about unproven technology."

Tesla previously indicated that that Autopilot software is designed to slow its vehicles down if they do not detect the driver's hands on the wheel.

The 300+ millions people in US didn't opt in for super car, and they have to share the road with it. There are many cars in US with more than 500-600 HP that caused many accidents over the last 12 months, driving public didn't opt in for that much power for driving 75-80 MPH on highway, they are at risk sharing the road with those monsters.

Not only Tesla is experiencing self driving car, Mercedes, BMW ... are also experiencing their version of self driving car. How about Google self driving car ? According to one person who had drive several different self driving cars Tesla is better than all.

To you, drivers who use cruise control are danger to driving public, millions drivers like you in US didn't opt for this feature, they have to share the road with dangerous drivers like myself who love using cruise control on long trip. Cruise control is here to stay, even low end car such as Toyota Corolla, Hyundai Elantra, Honda Civic ... all have cruise control

Shannow,

You didn't answer my post above. There are several car companies with self driving cars on the road, why you only slam Tesla.

For public driver who didn't opt for 500+ HP cars they must share the road with those who own the monsters, how about them ?

For public driver who didn't want to use cruise control, dumb or smart, have to share the road with he one who use it, how about them ?

How about giant SUV, lift-up giant truck ? Driving public with compact cars must the the road with them too, how about them ?

There are thousands killed a year by 18 wheelers, I have to share the road with them with my tiny S2000, how about me ? I didn't opt in for the killers.

That's life, at least that is the way we live in USA.

I wrote it, and clearly you have difficulties with the written word...go back and read it until you get it.

The 250M people SHARING the roads with this experiment DID NOT OPT IN for it, nor were given any choice but to share the roads with these people, these cars, and this "technology". They will be unwitting victims in Tesla's RandD.

Is that clear ?

I didn't "opt in" driving on public roads with drunks, stoners, texters, and a whole bunch of idiots that shouldn't even have a drivers license. There is always a whole bunch of danger happening on the roads ... I see many instances of it every time I drive on public roads.

Is that clear ?

It isn't okay for Tesla to have new self driving technology on public road, but it is okay for Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Audi and others to have similar technology on the road ?

What clear to me is you don't want certain company to have certain new technology, but it is okay for all other companies to have similar technology. Is this the message you are trying to convey ?

Quote:
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration released its annual report on distracted driving.

The agency found that 3,331 people died in distracted driving accidents in 2011, compared to 3,092 in 2010. These deaths make up about 10 percent of all driving fatalities.

And according to NHTSA, at any given daytime moment, about 660,000 Americans drivers are using cell phones or fiddling with an electronic device while driving.

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/us-distracted-driving-fatalities-top-3300

Some of the 3,000+ people died a year in USA by drivers who are fiddling with an electronic device while driving didn't OPT in for this infotainment and texting with cell phone while driving.

Are infotainment systems completely safe to use while driving ? Then why people(drivers and his/her passenger(s) and others in the accident) died when they were using it while driving ?

CDC's point of views:

Quote:
Each day in the United States, over 8 people are killed and 1,161 injured in crashes that are reported to involve a distracted driver.

Distracted driving is driving while doing another activity that takes your attention away from driving. Distracted driving can increase the chance of a motor vehicle crash.

Each day in the United States, over 8 people are killed and 1,161 injured in crashes that are reported to involve a distracted driver.

Quote:
Distracted driving is driving while doing another activity that takes your attention away from driving. Distracted driving can increase the chance of a motor vehicle crash.

Distracted driving activities include things like using a cell phone, texting, and eating. Using in-vehicle technologies (such as navigation systems) can also be sources of distraction. While any of these distractions can endanger the driver and others, texting while driving is especially dangerous because it combines all three types of distraction.

http://www.cdc.gov/Motorvehiclesafety/Distracted_Driving/index.html

It isn't okay for Tesla to have new self driving technology on public road, but it is okay for Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Audi and others to have similar technology on the road ?

What clear to me is you don't want certain company to have certain new technology, but it is okay for all other companies to have similar technology. Is this the message you are trying to convey ?

Do you wear one of these when you leave the house ?

i_make_stuff_up_full.png

Or do you simply like arguing with imaginary concepts that you pretend other people have presented ?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Is that clear ?

I didn't "opt in" driving on public roads with drunks, stoners, texters, and a whole bunch of idiots that shouldn't even have a drivers license. There is always a whole bunch of danger happening on the roads ... I see many instances of it every time I drive on public roads.

and it's all illegal... but tesla autopilot isn't

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back