IIHS: Almost All Small SUV Headlights are Bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Full IIHS study: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/desktopnews/most-small-suv-headlights-rate-poor-in-iihs-evaluations
Article below from: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/07/almost-small-suv-headlights-bad-none-good-iihs/

Compact SUV headlights have a long way to go if they want a passing grade from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.

The organization now rates headlight performance, and ] small SUVs are the latest crop of vehicles to undergo testing. The study results aren’t dazzling.

Out of 21 vehicles and 47 headlight options, no small SUV received a “good” rating from the IIHS, and two-thirds garnered a “poor” rating. Only four vehicles — the 2017 Ford Escape, Honda CR-V, Hyundai Tucson and Mazda CX-3 — earned a rating of “acceptable.”

The headlight test is simple. IIHS measures the amount of light emitted by low and high beams, then measures the amount of glare faced by oncoming vehicles. Vehicles scored points if their headlights came with an auto-dimming feature.

A poor score in the headlight test isn’t good for a vehicle’s overall rating. IIHS won’t declare a vehicle a top safety pick if their headlights fail to net a good or acceptable rating.

“Manufacturers aren’t paying enough attention to the actual on-road performance of this basic equipment,” IIHS Senior Research Engineer Matthew Brumbelow said in a statement. “We’re optimistic that improvements will come quickly now that we’ve given automakers something to strive for.”

In March, when the organization tested midsize sedans, the BMW 3 Series was judged to have the worst headlights in the businesses, proving that vehicle price has little to do with headlight performance. With small SUVs, the “worst” list is a lengthy one, and very diverse. Take your pick of nationalities found at the bottom — Audi Q3, Fiat 500X, Buick Encore, Subaru Forester, Kia Sportage, and a number of other Japanese and American models.

Jeep fared the worst overall, with all of its small offerings — Patriot, Renegade and Wrangler — rated as poor. Honda’s HR-V also found a home on the bottom, as did the Chevrolet Trax, Mitsubishi Outlander Sport, and Nissan Rogue.

The “marginal” category was thinly populated, with no domestic automaker found on the second-from-bottom shelf. Earning that title was the Mazda CX-5, BMW X1, Mitsubishi Outlander, Toyota RAV4 and Volkswagen Tiguan.

No particular headlight type fared better than others. Halogen, HID and LED headlamps are found throughout the list, because lumens only go so far towards your final grade. Glare issues demoted 17 of the headlight combinations.

“Glare issues are usually a result of poorly aimed headlights,” said Brumbelow. “SUV headlights are mounted higher than car headlights, so they generally should be aimed lower. Instead, many of them are aimed higher than the car headlights we’ve tested so far.

It would be interesting to compile the differences in low beams/high beams by reflector versus projector, and see how the two different types perform as a whole.

BC.

It's nice that someone points out these issues. Car manufacturers should spend less time thinking about touch screens and other gadgets, and get the very basic stuff like lights right instead.

Last edited:
I wondered what they would have thought of my 1969 roadrunner (back in 2004)? I used the original style GE bulbs on those and at night they were pretty darn dim. I'd bet today's "poor" rated lights would make them look sick.

In the days of sharp cutoff beam patterns, it is AMAZING how headlamp aiming is a problem!

In the old days we had VOR's where you HAD to use a aiming machine that nobody has.... we just guessed on side of the WalMart parking lot....

Today you just figure out CL and drive back 25 ft and make sure it drops a couple inches.

Now having said that, I feel that headlight "design" has took a step back, and more emphasis is on the "bling" or styling. Certain styling cues make designing an acceptable light pattern very difficult.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Now having said that, I feel that headlight "design" has took a step back, and more emphasis is on the "bling" or styling. Certain styling cues make designing an acceptable light pattern very difficult.

Good looking headlight isn't the same as good illumination headlight.

Some stylist tried hard to pen their vehicles to look different with all others, headlight design is one of many area they want to showcase their "talent", but it ended with inadequate light on the road for diver to see at night.

Uhhh, the alphabet agencies are to blame for some if not most of this too. We have had in the US poor headlights compared to the rest of the world because of our slow as molasses systems to allow change. Some vehicles today still come with sealed beam halogens, hardly the standard of the world. In my travels to the automotive equivalent of the wild west, China, headlights are all sorts of wild and complex. Not saying better, but for sure brighter.
Glare is subjective and has a lot more variables then lens design and lumens. I don't trust a govt or insurance institute test to tell me what is best.

IIHS is a completely private agency.

The way the hold the auto industry hostage is by assigning higher insurance rates to cars that don't do well on their tests; which influences sales.

Headlight safety? Please.

I have known 3 Highway Patrolmen since they were in high school (obviously before they were troopers), and have posed the question to them before as to accidents caused by lighting. I have been told that this has actually never been given as an explanation for an accident, except by drivers receiving DUI charges.

The problem with agencies like this (public or private), is that it is literally impossible for them to let a year go by where they report that everything is pretty good. There always has to be a new windmill to slaughter.

Really?
You guys are complaining about a private company who is actually testing the performance of headlights on various vehicles, and reporting the results?

If this was consumer reports, or car and driver doing the testing, you would most likely be singing a different tune.

Ahh shoot, I just remembered that I'm talking to the same people who think that air bags, abs, traction control, stability control, crumple zones, and electric door locks are the things that have ruined cars.

Never mind, please continue.
I'll go shoo away the clouds that are heading your way, and will tell the children to get off your lawn.

God knows, the last thing we need is to have all drivers on the roads be able to see down the road at night.
What a horrible idea.

BC.

My wife's Tiguan has probably best lights I had an opportunity to use, and I tried lot's of cars.
They are better then bi-xenon lights on my X5, or VW passat and VW CC I had. They are better then lights on my brothers Land Cruiser 120 3.0 D-4D and that car is in Europe, which allows stronger bulbs.
Tiguan has Bi-Xenon lights, but I do not think they tested that.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Really?
You guys are complaining about a private company who is actually testing the performance of headlights on various vehicles, and reporting the results?

If this was consumer reports, or car and driver doing the testing, you would most likely be singing a different tune.

Ahh shoot, I just remembered that I'm talking to the same people who think that air bags, abs, traction control, stability control, crumple zones, and electric door locks are the things that have ruined cars.

Never mind, please continue.
I'll go shoo away the clouds that are heading your way, and will tell the children to get off your lawn.

God knows, the last thing we need is to have all drivers on the roads be able to see down the road at night.
What a horrible idea.

BC.

Testing is good. Asinine conclusions based on erroneous standards are not.

Originally Posted By: 69GTX
I wondered what they would have thought of my 1969 roadrunner (back in 2004)? I used the original style GE bulbs on those and at night they were pretty darn dim. I'd bet today's "poor" rated lights would make them look sick.

I was thinking along similar lines.
The worst headlamps offered today are probably a quantum leap over what we used forty years ago, when sealed beams were a requirement in this country and new headlight shapes were beginning to appear.

Many vehicles today seem to have brighter (and far more annoying to oncoming drivers) DRLs...which shouldn't even be on at night...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
…..God knows, the last thing we need is to have all drivers on the roads be able to see down the road at night.
What a horrible idea.

BC.

I did not know, until reading this thread, that there are people who are opposed to better vehicular night lighting. It's a crazy universe.
50.gif

Originally Posted By: grampi
Many vehicles today seem to have brighter (and far more annoying to oncoming drivers) DRLs...which shouldn't even be on at night...

Incorrect aim can generate a lot of glaze to oncoming traffic.

I can see the point of this. What with small projector headlights being necessitated by styling concerns, the optics can take a back seat to style. The Chrysler 200 we had as a long-term rental a month or so ago had horrible projector headlights. Our RAV4's lights are a solid "meh". Both need cornering lights to see around a typical corner in a residential neighborhood. The reflector headlights with larger reflectors typically have not had this issue in my experience.

Also, older folks tend to buy smaller CUV's/SUV's, for the entry height amongst other reasons. Having brighter lights will help keep those folks safer since eyes do degrade as people age.

IIHS is an organization that provides a very useful service to drivers. Some people just seem to have an unfounded aversion to any organization providing them useful information on what they should know and do.
smirk.gif

Poppycock. The headlights on my CX-5 are amazing. Throws significantly more light than the Monte does and they're adaptive which is a very nice feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back