How much land for 2000' grass air strip and house?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much land would one need to have a 2000' grass air strip and room for a home of, say, 2400 sq ft, a pole barn hangar, and a field bed for septic system?

A good start would be neighbors with such strips and the town tax assessment/ GIS website.

One acre is 208' on a side. If you wanted it square, you'd need 10 acres and the strip would just barely fit.

If you don't care about square, then a 2 acre plot that is 2500' long would be about 34' wide, doable but hard to find.

If it were mine I'd go with a 15 acre parcel, at least 2500 or even better 3000 feet on one side.

Options: find a fly in community that has a strip and a group of houses.

Most importantly, you didn't say what airplane you're going to be flying in there!
laugh.gif

Getting a permit for a private strip is getting harder all the time... Some are so restrictive, they have max take-offs and landings per year. I have a friend in Maryland that is limited to 10 a year on his own farm ...

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Getting a permit for a private strip is getting harder all the time... Some are so restrictive, they have max take-offs and landings per year. I have a friend in Maryland that is limited to 10 a year on his own farm ...

Seriously, that is not good. Who has the authority on takeoff/landing restrictions, FAA or some local/county outfit?

My "farm" was about thirty acres, and the strip went diagonal; 2350 feet, IIRC. Had a couple of rent houses, and ponds as well.

Obstacles off your property are what you have to look out for.

Edit: no permission was sought; and no one seemed to care it was there. Plane was kept at a nearby airport.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back