What is a Good Air Filter for my old Toyotas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I use Fram ultras for my oil filters, but I do not know of a "Fram ultra of air filters" for my 98 toyota camry v6 and my 99 corolla.

I see Fram, Bosch, Mann, OEM, Pentius, Denso, Champion, Beck Arnley, Purolator and AC Delco. I have no idea which is worth getting. I have a Pentius UltraFLOW in right now. It has been there for about 15k.

Any suggestions?

My Impala is a Purolator Classic, the Malibu is a Purolator PureOne.

I really liked the build quality of the PureOne unit. Wasn't available for the Impala.

Last edited:
OE would be my choice but who knows.. I used to use everything purolator but i changed to a better quality oil filter i think the puro air filters are still ok and fram makes them also.

I like the made in USA fram air filters. Pull out of box, if made in USA i buy it. Never an issue. Most appear to be similar quality besides some of the made in china's, you can tell the media is thinner and has a plastic gasket rather than a rubber more flexible gasket.

I've got a Mann air filter in my Camry, fits nice and is made really nice too. I've used Mann cabin air filters in other cars too, nice quality as well.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Fram TG or Purolator P1, if they are available for your car.

Both the Fram TG ($10) or Purolator P1 ($20) are available in my area for both my cars. I've read that both a good (on other threads here and on the reviews on amazon and wallyworld). The Fram TG recently became "oil-free" and the P1 is still lightly oiled. Both are made in the usa.

Some say that the oiled P1 is better at trapping dirt but can restrict air flow at sudden acceleration. I'm also worried about how the oil will behave at -20 degrees F. So I'm torn between the two.

Im a Purolator fan, but not of the blue oiled pure one.

I experienced the reduction of acceleration you speak of, so I would get the Fram. I have a fram yellow media (TG I think) in my truck. It is brand new so I cant speak of how well it works.

Originally Posted By: WillsYoda

Both the Fram TG ($10) or Purolator P1 ($20) are available in my area for both my cars. I've read that both a good (on other threads here and on the reviews on amazon and wallyworld). The Fram TG recently became "oil-free" and the P1 is still lightly oiled. -snip- I'm also worried about how the oil will behave at -20 degrees F. So I'm torn between the two.

Is the filter you need TG7351/PA24690?

Asking because I used to have a car that used that air filter and wrote the posts mentioning the oil-free TG
smile.gif

Oil doesn't freeze at -20. You will not have any problems with the PA24690.

Both the Fram TG ($10) or Purolator P1 ($20) are available in my area for both my cars. I've read that both a good (on other threads here and on the reviews on amazon and wallyworld). The Fram TG recently became "oil-free" and the P1 is still lightly oiled. -snip- I'm also worried about how the oil will behave at -20 degrees F. So I'm torn between the two.

Is the filter you need TG7351/PA24690?

Asking because I used to have a car that used that air filter and wrote the posts mentioning the oil-free TG
smile.gif

Oil doesn't freeze at -20. You will not have any problems with the PA24690.

Yup. I read your post earlier. The TG7351 or PA24690 is what my 1mzfe takes. It looks like both are good bets. The TG7351 is half the cost, so I'm leaning towards getting it. I baby my cars, and they last 250k miles and more without a problem.

It is great to learn what the high quality parts are here on BITOG. Often the high quality parts aren't much different in cost than the others.

Fram TG or Purolator P1, if they are available for your car.

....Some say that the oiled P1 is better at trapping dirt but can restrict air flow at sudden acceleration. I'm also worried about how the oil will behave at -20 degrees F. So I'm torn between the two.

I call B s on that, if you didn't have a gauge like this to monitor the restriction. Most but dynos don't work very good.
http://filterminder.com/#

ROD

The TG7351 is half the cost, so I'm leaning towards getting it. I baby my cars, and they last 250k miles and more without a problem.

It is great to learn what the high quality parts are here on BITOG. Often the high quality parts aren't much different in cost than the others.

Get the TGA7351 *if* you can find one that still has the oiled media (NOS). Otherwise, get the P1.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I've got a Mann air filter in my Camry, fits nice and is made really nice too. I've used Mann cabin air filters in other cars too, nice quality as well.

who makes Mann and where? thanks

I like Denso air

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edwardh1
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

I like Denso air
I'm not totally sure. I've heard they were partially owned by Purolator, but they're made in Germany. They're OEM for a lot of German cars VW, BMW, Mercedes etc.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1

I like Denso air

Mann filters for American and Japanese cars are reboxed Purolators.

The Mann for the Camry in question is a reboxed A24690 and made in China.

The best option is a P1 (part number PA24690), which is made in the USA.

Also, Denso recently changed their aftermarket oil and filter lineups, so the new ones are now made in China and inferior to the previous offerings, which were the same as OE (air filters made in US and Japan, oil filters from Thailand)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back