Went to drop the trans pan......Uh NO WAY BABY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
In the automotive world in the USA, they are all labeled bolts.

But if you're Larry McReynolds from Tennessee, you call them "boats."
grin2.gif

Larry-McReynolds-Race-Car-Driver-Speaker-Headshot-e1426805873287.jpg

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Doog
The don't use screws in oil pans. DUH?
crazy2.gif

What ? No comprende`
confused2.gif

They use bolts....not screws.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Dewalt-Brushless-Impact-Driver-Size.jpg

Zzzzzzap!

But, if it's just a screen I don't see a point in taking the pan off anyway.

That would never get close due to the frame and lip on the pan.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Time for a mightyvac!

+1 That's what I have been using since new (4quarts every 15,000 miles)

Originally Posted By: Doog
Originally Posted By: Srt20
Do the bolts screw into the inside?

No they go all the way into the case....plus, there are 18 of them and 11 are really rusted. My youngest is leaving for college in 6 weeks so, I am good for a few more years then it will get sold off.

Yeah I guess I agree. It's just a screen, you've changed fluid before, and fairly low miles, and you will be dumping it. I'd say probably screw it too.

Most people probably don't even change the fluid anyway.

It's been on there going on 9 years, so there's probably little value in dropping the pan at this point anyway. What's the verdict on this particular AT in terms of having to get at something replaceable/repairable from above the pan down the road?

If you or one of the kids planned on keeping it until the wheels fall off, I would still try to remove and replace the rusty pan bolts. Wire brush the heads to make sure you can get a good bite on them with a socket and just try one and see how it goes. Go one at a time with them. If you snap off one, more than likely the pan isn't going to leak from a missing bolt if it's not already leaking. You should be able to extract the snapped bolt with the pan in place.

My last kid is starting college away so it will sit for 4 years and get driven maybe 2000 miles/year (thank goodness) so as far as the trans goes...I'm done. It will get traded in after graduation in 2020. So I am good for the foreseeable future.
13.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back