Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: Nissan101
20w50 oil of your choice

This.

I ran GTX 20W50 in my 280Z.

Pretty sure the current GTX 20w50 has 600ppm of Zddp which is not ideal, 800-900 at least is what i'd want in any flat tappet engine
Plus there are other oils like Valvoline VR1 which cost slightly more yes but with that you can forget about zddp as it has twice the amount of GTX , and show superior analysis'

Good call! I'd forgotten about VR1. It's pretty cheap here too,maybe $4-$5 a quart? Pennzoil also makes a high zddp conventional,Pennzoil Racing 25W50 which can be used in a daily driver and is cheap as well,maybe the same price as VR1.

SuperTech 5W or 10W-30 is all you need. This is hardly a high stress engine. Motor oils are light years better now than in the 70s.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
You are aware that there are other antiwear additives besides ZDDP, right?

Yet many oils for older cars have a high zinc content..

What exactly don't you like about my PM choices this time?

I ran 10w30 in my 280Z from HS through Grad school. If it wasn't for rust, I would still have it. I drove it from 130K to 210K of HS "kid driving" style.

I would recommend Shell T5 10w30. I think it has SM levels of Zinc. You could go heavier but I am not in that "heavier is better crowd".
http://www.pqiamerica.com/June 2014/shellrotellatT51030.htm

Although I am a Havoline "fanboy", T5 is my secret non-Chevron flavor or choice.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
We found out the engine has the E31 head which has a higher compression ratio compared to later E88.

What you gonna do for fuel for that thing ? 91 octane isn't gonna cut it.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
We found out the engine has the E31 head which has a higher compression ratio compared to later E88.

This is a good question. I am not sure of stations around here that sell leaded gasoline.

I do know a place that has ethanol free 91, but that is about it.

An occasional ping when WOT accelerating is OK. Continuous pinging under same circumstances is not !! Set the timing accordingly...

Gasoline octane ratings have changed over time. The only way to know if the motor will be happy is to run it and see.

You have to tune for the available fuel world over... Hot days will be your worst. Cool damp days will be your best. Maybe drop the thermostat a few degrees... What does it call for?

ANY Datsun 240 or 260Z that fails to run perfectly on 87 octane ((R+M)/2) gasoline is either significantly modified, or broken.

I wonder that too. Would a 240Z require leaded fuel?

No. And with his block/head combo and factory ignition timing, he won't ping on 91.

Well, nothing requires leaded fuel to meet an octane rating. It was just easier that way.

The E31 does not have hardened valve seats designed for unleaded. That said, people have been running unleaded a looooong time with no problems and I wouldn't sweat it.

If the head was rebuilt in its life, it may already have hardened valve seats installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back