Would you replace these brake system parts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
1981 MB 240D. 76k miles. More or less like new. I did have a swollen brake fluid reservoir grommet, so I replaced it.

I assessed the rest of the system. Braking is strong and firm (unless I've ruined something in my work)

The reservoir has some deposits that don't come out, even with flushing it out.

Top looks good:

AA64FA2C-D27D-4DAC-8B41-0A33C2625614_zpstvcjnep6.jpg

But there's dirt still in there, stuck. Thoughts on that??

DF5C210B-B4DF-4428-8E02-A63E0FAD7051_zpsobffnj1x.jpg

Also, I could do brake lines (ATE or other European brand), but the lines actually look great. Nothing like the bulged and cracked ones on my 82 that lived in SOCAL.

On one hand, it's the brakes - the most critical system on a 35 year old car.

On the other hand, all four look as good as this one below, and opening up all four corners is just asking for something to get messed up. Is this an "ain't broke" situation??

DDD76B7D-504A-42D0-A505-601E62FEE48A_zps2kdtm0fn.jpg

What are your thoughts?

Since its summer, humid and all, I don't want to leave the system with no fluid in the reservoir long. But wanted some thoughts...

Thanks!

Reservoir: Did you try spraying (aerosol) Brake Cleaner inside to get it cleaner ?
Us the straw to get into corners.
Of coarse this is with Reservoir removed.
Also with it off, clean the outside better.
With it being plastic, no reason it shouldn't look brand new.

I did on my vehicle once and it looked great.

Last edited:
Nope - I try to keep solvents off of plastic, and was concerned about them harming an old part.

Inside just scares me - residues and all.

The other issue is that the part with the deposits is not the section that is easily accessed. Even when I pulled fluid with a turkey baster, it stayed full in that section. So getting anything out that isnt loose, or getting loose bits that the solvent releases, OUT may be more problematic.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Nope - I try to keep solvents off of plastic, and was concerned about them harming an old part.

Inside just scares me - residues and all.

The other issue is that the part with the deposits is not the section that is easily accessed. Even when I pulled fluid with a turkey baster, it stayed full in that section. So getting anything out that isnt loose, or getting loose bits that the solvent releases, OUT may be more problematic.

I'm no expert, but some plastics are not affected by Cleaners (a lot are).
I'm sure someone here will come along and suggest best way to clean inside.
It's a great DIY project.

Reservoir looks fine.

Brake lines = replace. I had one go out on me once, it didn't look much worse than the picture (exaggerating slightly but I was 2 blocks from home YMMV)

Last edited:
I'd replace the lines too, even if they look pretty good for a 35 yo car.

Regarding deposits... water + soap + toothbrush (if possible) if you don't want break cleaner. Of course let it dry well after that ! Maybe rinse with filtered water (don't know how is the water in New Jersey).

No Brake Clean on plastic parts. It will either melt them, or wash away some of the plasticizers. Soap and water best with small brushes. Gasoline is OK as a solvent if others won't remove them... But before I'd go that far, I'd try soap & water, mild mineral spirits, paint thinner, and last gasoline...

The brake hoses look too old to be trustworthy. The lines are the steel tubes running along the frame rails. How do they look?

As long as you have the reservoir off, did you rebuild the master cylinder?

Last edited:
No MC rebuild. I guess that's something to learn, but there's no indication of an issue. Why would I rebuild the MC (asking the question, don't mean that as a rude statement
smile.gif
).

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
No Brake Clean on plastic parts. It will either melt them, or wash away some of the plasticizers.

Exactly what I was thinking.

I've had great success cleaning coolant reservoirs out with rock salt. All I do is pour in about two cups and then add just enough water to make it a slush out of it. Then I start shaking the heck out of the reservoir. The rock salt acts as a "remote abrasive" by scrubbing the inside interior where for obvious reasons your hands can't get to. The reservoirs look like brand new when I'm done.

If there are any original brake hoses, yes I would replace them. Having said that, on my 20 year old beater I have only replaced the front ones. They were not leaking, just cracked on the outside. The front ones do get more wear from the wheel turning. The rear ones I'd like to replace sometimes, but with the amount of rust around the brake lines, I don't know what I am going to brake if I try to disconnect it.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I've had great success cleaning coolant reservoirs out with rock salt. All I do is pour in about two cups and then add just enough water to make it a slush out of it. Then I start shaking the heck out of the reservoir. The rock salt acts as a "remote abrasive" by scrubbing the inside interior where for obvious reasons your hands can't get to. The reservoirs look like brand new when I'm done.

Great tip.
Pennies work in bigger areas too and BBs also work in small areas. Automatic dishwasher soap is also a good cleaner.

Replace the lines. As others have said the interior can degrade and ruin braking performance. Often it will result in brake pressure not being released quickly and abnormal wear from one corner.

If the mechanical methods mentioned above don't clean the reservoir, then it doesn't have deposits... it is stained.

There's no way rock salt or bbs will easily get in the tiny passage where the discoloration is. I'll try alcohol.

Thanks!

Got it all done. Alcohol helped somewhat. I don't know that the rest is staining, but I also don't know that the rest would come off easy. The space to get the fluid into the front (stained) section was tiny. So small I was fearful of getting it fully clean. But flushed it with alcohol then brake fluid, then flushed the system with the new lines. Will test drive in a little while. Had/have a ton of other chores to do along with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back