Coolant in 2015 Ford diesel pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I take it the coolant is not G-05? Apparently at 60k miles it needs to be tested and maybe a container of Ford coolant replenisher added?

Anyone care to give more details on this Ford coolant.

There's an additive pack that prevents cavitation that is added to the coolant. There are test strips available to test it. The light turns on sort of like an oil life monitor based off of the type of driving you do.

I think the additive is like $12 bucks, it's a liquid. I believe it's pretty important though because it keeps air bubbles from forming, which can lead to damage to the engine.

Really makes you wonder why Ford didn't continue to just use G-05 for the 6.7. It already has anti-cavitation additives and carries several diesel engine approvals.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Really makes you wonder why Ford didn't continue to just use G-05 for the 6.7. It already has anti-cavitation additives and carries several diesel engine approvals.

Part of the issue with the 6.0 and 6.4 was the G05 having the silicates fall out and clog the EGR and oil coolers. One of the "fixes" that people do when bullet proofing the 6.0 and 6.4 is to get rid of the G05 and use ELC coolant with a filter.

The 6.7 uses a completely different EGR cooler setup so you don't have to take half the truck apart to replace it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

Part of the issue with the 6.0 and 6.4 was the G05 having the silicates fall out and clog the EGR and oil coolers. One of the "fixes" that people do when bullet proofing the 6.0 and 6.4 is to get rid of the G05 and use ELC coolant with a filter.

The 6.7 uses a completely different EGR cooler setup so you don't have to take half the truck apart to replace it.

Yes, but that was an EGR cooler design problem, not a coolant problem. If you're getting a coolant hot enough to precipitate the silicates, you're not doing something right. :p A different coolant will just fail a different way.

Phosphate-free, silicate-free, nitrite-free, borate-free, OAT coolants are where it's at in the HD world; G-05 is old news, and can't hang with the new ELC's.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

Phosphate-free, silicate-free, nitrite-free, borate-free, OAT coolants are where it's at in the HD world; G-05 is old news, and can't hang with the new ELC's.

Horsepucky. In what sense can it "not hang?" Slick advertising? Sure, its only good for 50k instead of 100k, but on the other hand it actually protects a huge spectrum of metals and engines without harming composite gaskets. You can put it in pretty much any engine and not expect something bad to happen, UNlike so many of the more modern ELCs. Hunt up the recent thread showing a multi-hundred-thousand mile Benz radiator that looks brand new after nothing but G-05 for many years. And it protects diesels without needing an SCA. If you ask me, its Motorcraft Orange that "can't hang" with G-05. If you have to feed it SCAs every 10k miles, what's the point of a so-called "ELC?"

Originally Posted By: Donald
Is the 6.7 a wet or dry sleeve diesel.
It doesn't have sleeves, it's a parent bore engine, cylinders are part of the block. Not sure why a 6.7 needs SCAs, maybe Specialty Orange coolant doesn't have nitrites or borates for cylinder protection? I know my '04 6.0 using Gold/G-05 went 250K with NO SCAs added, just a coolant change due to a radiator failure.

Horsepucky. In what sense can it "not hang?" Slick advertising? Sure, its only good for 50k instead of 100k, but on the other hand it actually protects a huge spectrum of metals and engines without harming composite gaskets. You can put it in pretty much any engine and not expect something bad to happen, UNlike so many of the more modern ELCs. Hunt up the recent thread showing a multi-hundred-thousand mile Benz radiator that looks brand new after nothing but G-05 for many years. And it protects diesels without needing an SCA. If you ask me, its Motorcraft Orange that "can't hang" with G-05. If you have to feed it SCAs every 10k miles, what's the point of a so-called "ELC?"
Looks like Orange has roughly the same change intervals as Gold did, 105K on factory fill, 50K on subsequent fills. Not sure if Ford might be doing a little "CYA" after the 7.3 IDI cavitation debacle, or not?

Horsepucky

The ELC fear-mongering is absurd; we're talking about a 6.7 Ford, and you're dredging up red herrings.

Your defense of G-05 is talking about a 1980's Benz? Wonderful. Again, G-05 is old news.

New OAT ELC's are 1,000,000 mile (that's correct...million) rated in OTR applications WITHOUT THE USE of SCA's.
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Not sure if Ford might be doing a little "CYA"

Correct.

I'm not a fan of G-05. Every Ford Ive seen with has had silicate drop out in the degas bottle. Ford switching to a silicate free coolant was the right move for the powerstrokes. shame they didn't figure that out before the 6.0 went into production. Probably would have saved quite a few engines!

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Looks like Orange has roughly the same change intervals as Gold did, 105K on factory fill, 50K on subsequent fills. Not sure if Ford might be doing a little "CYA" after the 7.3 IDI cavitation debacle, or not?

I laugh when I read the coolant change intervals on a 6.0. Most have had the coolant changed way before that due to a component failure. Same with the 6.4s and their habitually leaking radiators.

Same with the 6.4s and their habitually leaking radiators.

Did you see the video powerstrokehelp did where he lifted one tire on a 6.4 with a forklift and the radiator mounts torqued all out of shape?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Same with the 6.4s and their habitually leaking radiators.

Did you see the video powerstrokehelp did where he lifted one tire on a 6.4 with a forklift and the radiator mounts torqued all out of shape?

No, but I am not surprised at all. Chrome dome over there has some cool videos, he gets a bit preachy at times, but seeing some of the teardowns have helped me at my job a fair amount.

The ELC fear-mongering is absurd; we're talking about a 6.7 Ford, and you're dredging up red herrings.

Your defense of G-05 is talking about a 1980's Benz? Wonderful. Again, G-05 is old news.

New OAT ELC's are 1,000,000 mile (that's correct...million) rated in OTR applications WITHOUT THE USE of SCA's.

You're TOTALLY misunderstanding me. I don't fear ELCs, they're completely appropriate for some applications. DexCool has been superb ever since GM got rid of all their engines that weren't 100% suitable for it. ELCs with appropriate cavitation protection are great for diesels. NOBODY IS ARGUING THAT.

What seems ridiculous to me is for Ford to pick a gasoline-engine ELC for its diesel and then pretty much toss the whole concept of an ELC by turning on a "check coolant" light every 10-15k miles and requiring the use of an SCA with it, when their own parts department already carries a suitable long-life coolant that doesn't need the SCAs.

Saying that something is "old news" is an particularly useless argument against it. New or old doesn't matter one iota. "Does the job" or "doesn't do the job" are the only things that matter in a particular application. Now, I'll be the first to say that there probably ARE newer ELCs out there that would be as good or better for the 6.7 than G-05. So why didn't Ford pick one of them instead of one that needs an SCA from the get-go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back