87 4Runner 22RE WH 20w50 1060mi Wix prem 1515

Status
Not open for further replies.

Here is another 20w50 Wolfs Head run, this was a short run trying to wash out silicon from the engine that it ingested due to a ruptured diaphragm in the power brake booster on the previous change which was 5w30 M1. The sample following this one was also WH 20w50, total engine miles at the time of this sample was 301,250.

I couldn't have purchased any cheap oil cheaper than I purchased the 20w50 used. It was purchased on clearance from a gas station at $0.17-0.25 per quart. In all I purchased about 22 gallons worth at under a dollar per gallon.

Yes I think it is thin for a 20w50 every sample of it I have is low out of grade for a 50wt oil. I honestly never noticed the trend until you mentioned it. Good catch. I always just blamed it on some other factor. The Valvoline 20w50 MC was in grade for a 50wt.

It was cheap honestly. I had about two cases worth that I bought at 17 cents per quart. I haven't run any 20w50 in it in several years. I used up most of what I had and gave the rest to my dad for his 1952 Willys with the flathead in it. I still have a full case of Valvoline 10w40 Motorcycle oil that I will likely use up in the 4Runner which I purchased with the 20w50 for 22-25 cents per quart. It admittedly gets better fuel economy on a 30wt oil but it would take me the rest of my life to use up my entire stash in my 76 Chevy truck with a 350 so the 4Runner will likely see a few more oil changes on the 10w40 MC.

Also I forgot to mention I also posted my most recent sample for this truck which was a 3000 mile run on ST conventional in 5w30. Current fill is Liqui Moly MOS2 10w40 with a Purolator Boss filter. Filter is a test to see if there is still issues with media tearing. Someone has to experiment right? Plan to leave the oil in service to 5,000 miles and sample and evaluate from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back