Tire air pressure recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a tire pressure gauge for a bicycle, reasonably accurate to say 60 psi or so.

I've read that the pen shaped ones lose accuracy after a few years, and I've had mine for at least 10.

This is a kid's bike. I don't need an accurate reading down to the last tenth of PSI; I just don't want to blow up the inner tubes. So I can live with accuracy to the 1/2 pound.

Are all the cheap ones good for this? Or are some junk, others better? I'd like to spend no more than 10 bucks, if this is possible.

well if the tire is low what are you going to do?
so thinking 1 step ahead you need a bike pump.
so then i would say just get the bike pump with built in guage.

I've got an old compressor that does just fine. So all I need is a gauge.

I'm told my tires should SHOULD be 36 p.s.i. COLD...

I take my car in, and they put in 36 p.s.i. when the tires have been ran for 40 miles!!!

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
I'm told my tires should SHOULD be 36 p.s.i. COLD...

I take my car in, and they put in 36 p.s.i. when the tires have been ran for 40 miles!!!

What the heck does this have to do with a guy who needs a tire gauge for a kid's bicycle???

I checked my inexpensive digital gauge with several at Discount Tire and it was spot on. Another vote for a $12 digital gauge.

The Slime pencil gauges are inexpensive and work just fine. I have gauges in my vehicles and some by my compressor. I run 56# in our bicycles.

Accutire Digital Tire Pressure Gauge are mostly good, I have 1 and it matches DT(AT in my area) gauge to 1/2 PSI. I have a little higher pressure for my cars, placard is 32 PSI I would have 34-36 instead, 1/2 PSI difference doesn't effect the car handling.

PS I thought OP wants to know how to air his tires !

Last edited:
Why don't you jsut use the tire gauge you have in your car, might do the job just right i think.
I always just the one I have laying around in my car...
i grabbed this onedigital tire pressure gauge from a deal on amazon.

or else you would be fine with gauge which holds a rubber hose like this
goodluck

For kid bike, jogging stroller, bike trailer type pneumatic tires, Ive always just used the "thumb hard" test.

Theres no matched set on an axle, odd wear patterns, or fractions of a second racing to be considered. I cant say Ive ever blown out an innertube doing it by feel.

On my car Im a stickler for matching pressures on the axle. But even there I am more concerned with consistency than being a little off. I typically run my tires a little high anyway though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back