Big Rig Trucks in Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cab-over isn't as nice to the driver, as you will be sitting straight on top of the front axle or ahead of it. Scania had their T-series, which was discontinued decade ago:

https://www.scania.com/group/en/scanias-t-model-says-goodbye-extended-version/

Small finnish manufacturer Sisu sold SR-model, it was popular in road maintenance and dirt moving applications:

eilisen_tahti.jpg

Many of these Scania Ts and Sisu SRs are still on duty, and owners usually appreciate them. There isn't much electronics and other [censored] to fail.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nebroch
Cab-over isn't as nice to the driver, as you will be sitting straight on top of the front axle or ahead of it. Scania had their T-series, which was discontinued decade ago:

https://www.scania.com/group/en/scanias-t-model-says-goodbye-extended-version/

Small finnish manufacturer Sisu sold SR-model, it was popular in road maintenance and dirt moving applications:

eilisen_tahti.jpg

Many of these Scania Ts and Sisu SRs are still on duty, and owners usually appreciate them. There isn't much electronics and other [censored] to fail.

Front axle isn't located in the same position on American COE and European COE. On American trucks axle is moved forward, and driver sit on top of the axle. European trucks usually have axle behind the driver. I don't know if that is some legal requirement or just preference. Old MACK 700 for Europe had front axle relocated.

They're nice little trick to use, but driver must be careful when applying them or roller will rip off tyre thread. Rearmost axle should be lifted or truck must be moving.

The 2015 Mack I'm driving now has discs on all 3 axles on the tractor. It stops better for sure, but I haven't figured out how to pretrip the brakes. It does go in for maintenance every 20,000 miles and the wheels are pulled and brakes checked, though.

Pretrip? You mean checking the linings before starting?

Some have electronics in the cab that can tell you how far each caliper has moved. Not all though. Typically the brakes last well over 60.000 miles for hard use here.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
The 2015 Mack I'm driving now has discs on all 3 axles on the tractor. It stops better for sure, but I haven't figured out how to pretrip the brakes. It does go in for maintenance every 20,000 miles and the wheels are pulled and brakes checked, though.
I am curious how long the disc brakes will last compared to the regular drum brakes. What are replacement costs as well.

Discs and pads on semi trucks better last longer than 60,000 miles. My drum brakes on my semi trucks typically last well over 300,000 miles. I would expect discs and pad on semi truck to bust 500,000 before servicing.

depends on the kind of service you do, wouldn't it?

not much brake useage per mile if travelling interstate, lots if you collect garbage, or for a city bus

It would, and how the operator drives the vehicle has more to do with it than the application, but they usually don't want to admit it and instead blame the equipment. Brake usage per mile is a factor, but more so, how heavy or light the brake application is a major factor. I can "ride" the brakes all the way down a mountain pass for 8 miles at, say 5 lb of application pressure and not overheat the brakes and minimize actual wear. Use to have to do that frequently running the western U.S. back in my earlier days of commercial driving and didn't have a engine brake. That will separate the men from the boys. Would still get a couple hundred thousand miles out of brakes. Racing from point to point, and slamming on brakes instead of doing things gradual will accelerate brake wear over what would be considered "normal". That is driver abuse related brake wear and not the equipment or the application.

True.

I used to be that guy that's racing from point to point (with a car though), and managed to wear an OEM set of pads out in 4000 miles. uprated pads lasted 8 times longer though.

I changed though, after starting to drive heavier cars (and diesels). Now I'm in the top 2% with reagards to brakewear, from what I can tell servicing/repairing cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back