Ruger 1911 Impressions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those that own or have shot a Ruger 1911, what are your impressions? Looking for an all stainless 1911 with the modern mods for under 1000 bucks and this along with the Remington seem to be the top US made choices. However, knowing Freedom Group quality control issues I am leery of the Remington. Only other one I found was the Auto Ordnance 1911 Custom, but those are a total mystery quality wise since Kahr took over, not to mention that are scarce as can be.

So impressions on the Ruger?

I've been eyeballing both the Ruger and Remington 1911s.Im sure they are both great guns. But I would get another Ruger pistol since I know it's great quality and they will fix it if there's a problem.

I have been shopping for a 1911 for months so I can understand your attraction to the Ruger. I have not shot one yet but was able to examine a couple at length. The mag release on one seemed a little catchy but it's trigger was better than it's sibling IMO...but man that is a lot of gun for the money. The Rugers I looked at seemed tighter than the Colt's they had. FWIW the one that most impressed me with features, fit and finish was the Sig 1911 and I believe those are made in the USA as well.

I would suggest you actually handle the Ruger you purchase as opposed to buying one on line though.

I have not yet been able to look over a Remington. Curious, have you?

I was able to shoot the Ruger and the Remington about a year ago. Ruger was a much better pistol. I was very impressed with the Ruger. Pretty good price for what you get.

I own and shoot both the Ruger and the Remington R-1 Stainless. Both are good guns. Also both the Springfield Stainless Mil-Spec, as well as the Kimber Stainless II are in the same price range, and are worthy to consider for a Stainless 1911. All of mine perform well. For looks I prefer the Ruger with it's black accented parts. The Kimber is the most accurate off a rest. The Springfield is also very accurate. For the price you really can't go wrong with any of them. I have a tough time making up my mind with 1911's. Which is part of the reason why I own so many.

If they are all similar prices, I'd opt for the Springfield
laugh.gif

Have you already palmed a Remington 1911?

I've got the steel R1 if you'd like to look it over and/or shoot it.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Have you already palmed a Remington 1911?

I've got the steel R1 if you'd like to look it over and/or shoot it.

I have held the standard R1. I would be purchasing the "enhanced" model if I were to go Remington. The Remington around here is about 50 bucks more than the Ruger. Likely the Ruger will get the nod just because I think the quality is more consistent and I have bad luck rolling the dice on products that can be hit or miss.

Glad to know those that have shot or owned them like them.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Pretty sure my Kimber was made in NY and NJ of all places!

Yeah they churn those out in Yonkers NY....Kimber workers are pilgrims in an unholy land of gun laws.

My last buy was a 1911, somewhat. A Springfield EMP in 9mm. Small size with 3.1" barrel.
I have another (not 1911) buy this month, then next month I'll be shopping for a full size 1911 in 45.
Seems like it's not an easy decision, for me anyway. So many 1911's made. Come next month I'll hopefully also get a feel for both Ruger & Remington in the hand.
The local gun range rents & maybe they'll have the Ruger & Remington. My last rental try was a 45 Kimber and I had lots of FTF & FTE. But I don't have a lot of faith of rental's getting the best care. Friends Kimber has been very reliable. He uses Wilson mags only.
I like the looks of the Ruger more than the Remington, I'm a fan of both. But will have to consider other 1911's.
After a couple more, hopefully my buying is done for awhile, rest of this year anyway.

Sadly not much for rentals in my area. I do know Ruger customer service is usually top notch and they do look after their customers very well. Knowing a few people who waited through the horror show of the R51 debacle at Remington, I am not so confident in them delivering on their word.

If I did not have a PTR 32 on the way, I would have likely just gone for a Colt as I would have had the extra scratch.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
If they are all similar prices, I'd opt for the Springfield
laugh.gif

He's looking for USA made.

Springfield is US made now, they are fine pistols if you have no objection to MIM.

Colt and Dan Wesson are even better.

Last edited:
I have owned the ruger,the remington and the springfield
Remington was awful,series 80 and terrible trigger,timing was off I sold it

Ruger was series 70 and not bad at all,def nice gun,sold it .

Springer was series 70 and IMO the best of the three,all forged frames and slides too
I own the Range Officer and the TRP..

Last edited:
Thanks for mentioning triggers. I had failed to do that, and should of. On my 4 Stainless 1911's that I posted, I would rate the triggers as follows:

1.) (Best) Remington

2.) Springfield (Almost tied with Kimber).

3.) Kimber (Almost tied with Springfield).

4.) (Worst) Ruger (More creep and over travel than the others).

As always YMMV.

Luster of 1911's is gone for me. To big to carry. And after many trips to the range I'm done with them. I still have my 1946 WWII Rem. and my Colt M1A1.

I'd go for the Springer but you can't discount Ruger Service.

You need to go here. https://forums.1911forum.com/ I have been on there for 13 years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back