AC Delco PF48E acceptable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since Wally World doesn't stock Purolater filters anymore, I went with an AC Delco this time. I used to use them back in the '80s, but I don't know how the modern e-cores compare to the older filters.

Anyhow, I'm installing it on an '09 Silverado 1500 with the 4.8L V8 engine with Castrol Magnatec 5W-30; OCI is every 5,000. Mostly interstate driving with very, very few short trips.

Any other filter out there I should've considered?

Using the longer PF63E on my MILs 2012 Acadia.
No issues.
Third one we've used.
Should serve you well for the 5k duration.

Last edited:
If it has an 'E' on the end of the part number, it is not acceptable.
31.gif

The new ones specifically for newer GM ACDelco with filter integral bypass have separate poppet type dome bypass, a good thing. The PF48E is one of those so yeah I'd say acceptable. Better cages and pleat uniformity now too.

I wanted to believe they would work. However, I got terrible start up racket one morning with it. I took it off and put on a Mobil 1 M1-113 instead. I now order ACDelco UPF48R when they go below 10 bucks on amazon. These are just relabeled Mobil 1 M1-113s. High quality filter at a good cost that can give real piece of mind. I really wanted to like the PF48e, however, they just don't work as well.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
31.gif

Yes, I would stay away from those too.

31.gif

The filter in question has been redesigned and cut apart here on BITOG and found to be good enough for the life of the oil according the OLM.

A lot has changed since the year 2000.

Originally Posted By: CKN
31.gif

The filter in question has been redesigned and cut apart here on BITOG and found to be good enough for the life of the oil according the OLM.

A lot has changed since the year 2000.

It was the newer iteration with the poppet valve that gave me concern. I'm serious, startup noise like I have never experienced. Like I said, I wanted to think they would be fine, that's why I used them. All I know is what I experienced. Take a look at this TSB, the things are just questionable. They might fit the bill on paper and most of the time, but they just don't have any room for error:

Service Information Home Publications Number Search New Bulletins Bulletin Search Feedback Help

#PIP5276D: SES Lamp P0521 Setting After An Oil Change And Or Low Oil Pressure Indicated On The Instrument Panel - (Jun 8, 2015)
Subject: SES Lamp P0521 Setting After An Oil Change And Or Low Oil Pressure Indicated On The Instrument Panel
Models: 2007-2013 Cadillac CTS-V, Escalade
2007-2013 Chevrolet Avalanche, Camaro SS, Colorado, Corvette, Express, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2007-2013 GMC Canyon, Sierra, Savana, Yukon
with a V8 Engine (RPOs L20, L77, L94, L96, L99, L9H, LC8, LC9, LH9, LMF, LMG, LY6, LZ1)

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern
A concern of a P0521 Setting After an oil change and or low oil pressure indicated on the instrument panel.
Recommendation/Instructions
If you are working on a Gen4 V8 that is setting a DTC P0521 and or low oil pressure indicated on the instrument panel in cold or hot weather and the engine is currently equipped with a PF48E oil filter, replace with a UPF48R oil filter if one is available.
Note: Only use the UPF48R oil filter if theGen4 V8 is setting a DTC P0521.
Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty use:
Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time
Oil Filter Replacement
Use Published Labor Operation Time

So there's a TSB out there which appears to indicate or at the least imply there may be some issue with the PF48E. According to the net, there have been two versions of the ACDelco PF48E, the earlier one used a nitrile combo valve, the most recent/current as posted here and elsewhere, using a separate poppet type bypass.

GM also seemed to indicate or at the least imply IMO that the oil filter was responsible for issues with the new Corvette engines grenading during test drives. Afaik, no authoritative information on the specific design of the factory Corvette filter used, though in greatest likelihood it's an ACDelco made by Champ/Fram Filtration.

The TSB recommended fix for the first issue and perhaps the latter is to install/use an ACDelco Ultra filter.

All things considered imo, 'IF' the filter is the cause, GM either needs to completely scrap the ACDelco ecore design and return to the classic metal endcap design for all filters. Or find a new manufacturer for it's factory and ACDelco over the counter OEM filters. With all the supposed and/or implied issues with ACDelco and Corvette factory filters, hard to comprehend why GM would stick with it's current filter designs and supplier. My .02

Link to the TSB? I thought I read on one of the Vette forums that it was a bad filter that let a metal shard from the thread area into the oil system on a new LS engine. No mention of it being an ecore and at the time conventional filters were installed on new engines. I might mention I have found metal thread debris on oil filters in the past. Can't remember what brand but to this day I always inspect and clean that area and check inside the filter before installation.

TSB posted in member 'CapitalTruck' last post in this thread.

As for Corvette filter, debated this in past here so not wanting to completely revisit. IMO, based on reading most if not all info available, whatever the construction, GM appeared to imply the filter was if not all, at least partially to blame.

Bottom line though, it is yet another GM oil filter issue including the but not limited to the ACDelco PF48E TSB posted.

I should add, to keep transparency, that bulletin has apparently been updated to one that mentions fixing cracks in an internal baffle. But the fact that at one point they were finding a correlation between oil filter and engine pressure problems says bad news to me. I just don't think even the newer iterations of the ecore are robust enough to perform the work at hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back