Shell Helix Conventional / Semi-Synth Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed these oils are not discussed very often here on BITOG, presumably as they are not available in the U.S.A., and the user-base here is mostly from North America.

Of particular interest to me is Shell's Conventional HX5 15w40 (A3/B3): http://www.cnergyasiapac.com/assets/Uploads/Shell-Helix-HX5-15W-40-SN-A3-B3-en-TDS.pdf

As well as their Semi-Synthetic A3/B4 10w40: http://www.omf.com.tr/assets/upload/serv...12015050555.pdf

These oils are often sold at very reasonable prices, and seem to have a reasonable set of specifications. Is the Helix range of oils good quality, or is the price indicative of a lower level of quality in these products?
I'm quite curious of people's experiences with this product. As they possess the ACEA spec., it would seem they would be reasonably well-suited to any number of applications.

I would not hesitate to use that oil. Reputable supplier excellent specs. I'd put it in my vehicles.

B320i,
the engineer in me knows that the Helix, GTX, and XLD 15W40s would be everything I ever need, and can often be bought for sub $20 for 5 litres.

But I just can't stop doing what I'm doing with synthetics and THEIR specials.

Shell owns Pennzoil, so I guess they push Pennzoil in the US, Shell in other markets. Same as BP - you don't see BP oil around anymore, but lots of Castrol, which they own.

I ran HX7 in my diesel for years (and HX5 sometimes too), it was the best semi-synth I tried regarding smoothness and keeping engine noise low throughout the OCI (also the only semi-synth I tried with MB 229.3).

But then I discovered bitog and learnt I could actually try other oils than 10W40 or 15W40...and soon discovered that HX7 was still inferior in term of feeling and durability to synthetic oils like Rimula R6M or the Total Quartz I'm currently using.

So for me there's no interest anymore in these oils since prices here are not that competitive, but if price is good I think HX7 may serve you well, depending on the use of course...oil cooled turbocharged diesel with fuel dilution issue is obviously not the best application if you aren't considering short OCI
smile.gif

Edit: VOAs show good add pack for HX7, never really paid attention to HX5 actually. I did several short OCI with HX7 when I bought my Barchetta, to clean things a bit.

Last edited:
Hey B320i

It's Shell in Australia, NZ, Europe and most other places , but Pennzoil / Quaker State in North America (SOPUS).

Both Shell Ultra & Pennzoil Ultra use the same code words, PurePlus, for GTL based oils. There was a industry guy on this site for a bit (Joe90Guy) who said Shell did a good quality job on their oils, even though he personally didn't like the company ethos.

I always thought that in Australia, Shell gave you the best bang for your buck. About a month ago they had the semi-synthetic Shell Helix HX7 10W-40 (SN, A3/B4, MB 229.3, VW 502/505, RN 700/710) on sale at $20 for 5L. That is a LOT of oil for your money, especially given that GTX 15W-40 mineral has a regular price of $36 for 5L.

Shell also make a full synthetic HX8 5W-30 (SN, A3/B4, etc) that is probably the least expensive full synthetic (Grp III) oil on the Australian market. Nothing came close until the full synthetic Castrol Magnatec appeared, but the HX8 still beats it by a few dollars on most days.

Then you have the GTL Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 (SN, A3/B4, MB 229.5, BMW LL-01, Porsche A40) it's the least expensive oil with all these specs in Australia. You can pick this up for $65 or less (I got some for $40) when the roughly equivalent M1 0W-40 is more than $100 even on sale.

As the others above have said, logically all you need is HX5 15W-40 mineral, HX7 10W-40 semi-synthetic, HX8 5W-30 synthetic or Ultra 5W-40 GTL and you have pretty much covered most people with a quality product at the best local price. The rest is just playing around, more of a hobby for me.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Hey B320i

I always thought that in Australia, Shell gave you the best bang for your buck. About a month ago they had the semi-synthetic Shell Helix HX7 10W-40 (SN, A3/B4, MB 229.3, VW 502/505, RN 700/710) on sale at $20 for 5L. That is a LOT of oil for your money, especially given that GTX 15W-40 mineral has a regular price of $36 for 5L.

Shell also make a full synthetic HX8 5W-30 (SN, A3/B4, etc) that is probably the least expensive full synthetic (Grp III) oil on the Australian market. Nothing came close until the full synthetic Castrol Magnatec appeared, but the HX8 still beats it by a few dollars on most days.

Then you have the GTL Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 (SN, A3/B4, MB 229.5, BMW LL-01, Porsche A40) it's the least expensive oil with all these specs in Australia. You can pick this up for $65 or less (I got some for $40) when the roughly equivalent M1 0W-40 is more than $100 even on sale.

As the others above have said, logically all you need is HX5 15W-40 mineral, HX7 10W-40 semi-synthetic, HX8 5W-30 synthetic or Ultra 5W-40 GTL and you have pretty much covered most people with a quality product at the best local price. The rest is just playing around, more of a hobby for me.

I agree - the value seems very good for the Shell oils, and these oils look more than capable of going the distance. So it seems my concerns of quality are unfounded, and the oils will perform to expectation.

As I said, I'm practically 'done' with the fully-synthetic oils/LongLife approval nonsense, hurts the old wallet far too much. Fact is, the car is from 1993 and suggested API SG / CCMC-G5 oils for the factory interval of about 12,000km. Doing 6000-7000km intervals, I don't have much to worry about.

Just looking now, the Helix HX5 15w-40 is going at around $30 for 5L, with the Castrol GTX equivalent at about $35-$36 as you say. The HX7 10w-40 is at just $32 at Kmart, not bad.

The simple product variety is a nice breath of fresh air.
Always seems pointless to me having 0/5/10/15w-30/40 etc., when one or two of each meeting the appropriate specification does the job just fine. I guess its for different tastes and price ranges.

I'm going to suggest a "watch this space," once the car is due an oil change, looks like Shell Helix 15w-40 or 10w-40 is going to be "it." Will hopefully remember to do a UOA and/or VOA, too.

Thanks for the neat little breakdown, SR5.

Originally Posted By: Popsy
I ran HX7 in my diesel for years (and HX5 sometimes too), it was the best semi-synth I tried regarding smoothness and keeping engine noise low throughout the OCI (also the only semi-synth I tried with MB 229.3).

Very interesting. Aside from Rotella T6, which I sourced on eBay (being in Australia: good price for a synth, by the way!), my experiences thus far with Penrite and Mobil aren't great for noise levels.

The Rotella really did hush things up nicely, although the lifter were still noticeable. My aim is to do some shorter intervals to try and clean things a bit, and hopefully a good -40 may be an improvement over the -50 in there at present. So no need for a synthetic at $88 + $10 shipping.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
he engineer in me knows that the Helix, GTX, and XLD 15W40s would be everything I ever need, and can often be bought for sub $20 for 5 litres.

But I just can't stop doing what I'm doing with synthetics and THEIR specials.

I understand the temptation to try different oils, especially if the price is right. As I've come to understand, those oils are really all most people need. Simple, good prices and meet the latest API certifications, and in some cases, ACEA A3/B4 too.

In my searches here on BITOG, there has been mention of the XHVI or "Slack Wax" that Shell and others were using in many of their conventional oils. It is supposedly superior to your typical Group 3/Hydrocracked Synthetic. Has the use of this product decreased with the new GTL base-stocks now in use?

Originally Posted By: B320i
In my searches here on BITOG, there has been mention of the XHVI or "Slack Wax" that Shell and others were using in many of their conventional oils. It is supposedly superior to your typical Group 3/Hydrocracked Synthetic. Has the use of this product decreased with the new GTL base-stocks now in use?

Shell still sell their XHVI, and as it was stated when I worked at a Shell servo in 1986/7, "mineral oil with synthetic performance"...

the GTL, I understand (may be wrong), they polymerise the gas to a wax,then crack it back to lube oil.

I went to the shops today, at KMart, regular price:
- Shell Helix HX5 15W-40 mineral oil in the yellow bottle was $26 for 5L ( API SN, ACEA A3/B3).
- Shell Helix HX7 10W-40 semi-synthetic in the blue bottle was $32 for 5L (SN, A3/B4, MB 229.3, VW 502/505)

Then I went to a few other stores looking for a similar product, regular price:
- Castrol GTX 15W-40 mineral was $36 (SN, A3/B3)
- Valvoline DuraBlend 10W-40 semi-synthetic was $45 (SN, A3/B4, MB 229.1 )

If you are not chasing specials, you are $13 and a MB grade better off buying Shell at KMart.

KMart also had some good prices on Valvoline DOT 4 Brake fluid, and Shell SAE 30 monograde (API SF). I should pay a bit more attention to KMart, I keep forgetting about them.

Interesting this topic was moved. While I don't want to chuck a wobbly; the oil isn't specific to Europe or European cars, nor is it an import product. Just plain old PCMO.

Oh well. The suggestion I'd make is instead of European Oils, having a section for boutique or "approved" oils, plus a section for everything else.

Thanks for the observations, SR5. Will have to go and grab some Helix whilst its on special, then. Those are some really great prices you've found. As you said, puts the rest to shame.

Hey B320i,

No rush, they are everyday prices at KMart, not specials. But it shows you how expensive the other places are.

Yeah, I was expecting this thread to get moved, even though you were asking about a regular Shell PCMO.
Here, PCMO = Oils you can buy in North America (mostly ILSAC)
Imported & European = Oils from outside North America.

Wouldn't want to confuse the casual reader, they may ask for Shell HX7 at Walmart, and the next thing you know - Riots !

Still, given the history and origin of the site, it makes sense. In general, I find the people here most welcoming.

What is the SOPUS North America product equivelent to: Shell Helix HX7 10W-40 semi-synthetic in the blue bottle was $32 for 5L (SN, A3/B4, MB 229.3, VW 502/505) ??

I'm pretty sure there is a Shell, Pennzoil, or Quaker State match up...

Sorry, watch elder and have to go, so maybe someone else will chime in
smile.gif

Everyday prices, SR5? Well, I guess Mobil, Castrol, Penrite and others can stick their oils
cool.gif
- that is just ridiculously good.

Those prices put the Helix HX5 15w-40 at $5.20 per litre and the HX7 10w-40 at $6.40 per litre. Dare I say, but that must be about as close as you get to USA's "cheap" here in Australia.

I know !! Most people in Australia should just be buying HX5 & HX7 at KMart and be done with it.

BTW KMart also has HX3 20W-50 mineral oil ( API SL) at $20 for 5L in red bottles.

But if you want better, a mate and I approached the local Shell Distributor, about Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40. This is their top shelf GTL oil that's SN, A3/B4, BMW LL-01, MB 229.5, Porsche A40, Ferrari rated, etc. Anyway going through the distributor at the local industrial estate, they sell boxes of 3 x 5L SHU 5W40 to the public. The price was ~ $36 for 5L. How's that !! Normally you would pay $70 or more. If it was M1 0W-40, a $100 or more for 5L.

So a mate and I got a box of three to share. He has two cars that need a change, so it worked out fine.

Talk to people like Garak, and he too buys his oil from a distributor. If you are prepared to purchase a little more up front, you can save a lot of money. And a 3 X 5L box is not a silly amount to buy.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
What is the SOPUS North America product equivelent to: Shell Helix HX7 10W-40 semi-synthetic in the blue bottle was $32 for 5L (SN, A3/B4, MB 229.3, VW 502/505) ??

I'm pretty sure there is a Shell, Pennzoil, or Quaker State match up...

Sorry, watch elder and have to go, so maybe someone else will chime in
smile.gif

Hi BrocLuno,

For Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 the North American (NA) equivalent would be Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W-40 or Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 depending on which name they are using today.

For Shell Helix HX7 10W-40 SN & A3/B4 semi-synthetic, well I'm not sure if you have a matching product. The semi-synthetic in NA is Pennzoil Gold, but it only seems to go up to an ILSAC 10W-30, I can't find any 10W-40 or any P.Gold with a A3/B4 rating.

This grade, semi-synthetic 10W-40 A3/B4, is very popular in Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand. Everybody has one e.g. DuraBlend 10W40, Magnatec 10W40, etc. For NA I think you would have to step it up to a full synthetic, like M1 10W-40 HM A3/B3.

In Oz, the 10W-40 A3/B4 semi-synthetic, is the default bulk fill from most shops and garages when you get your car serviced. Works well in everything around here.

I am using Shell Hx3 20w50 and it would appear to be doing fine in my car but i can't find any Oil analysis for it and very little info about the add pack and i'm really paranoid about zddp haha so switching to Valvoline VR1 the next oil change
smile.gif

Hi B320i. What is the OCI of your car and do you have any oil usage issues?

I have a 2.0 4cyl Audi A4 (non-turbo). 2001 with 185,000 on the clock. Like you, always used the right 'spec' oil (VW502.00). I've been consuming a fair bit (not uncommon on the ALT motor) so last oil change I went to Shell Helix HX7 15w50 high milage. It's API SN with ACEA A3/B4.

I've just put this in. So far, doesn't seem to be any different on cold startups (Melbourne winter, lows of 5C). Haven't been able to really measure fuel or oil consumption yet.

I plan on running this for the 15,000km OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back