What kind of oil should I use

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1995 Ford F-150 it has the 5.8 liter v8 in it. My question is would high milage oil or synthetic be better to run it has 126,xxx miles I live in Utah so would be a cold winter no leaking as of now would be driven 30 + miles a day would tow a snowmobile trailer every weekend I the winter. What kind do you think would work better as well as what brand should I go with.

Thanks in advance

So what would be the pros of using a high milage oil as compared to a full synthetic does what benifits does the high milag offer

I'll translate Ram01's post: Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage. Oils labeled as High Mileage generally have more detergent additives. Anti-wear additives are capped at a certain max amount per the API rating of SN, etc.

I'll throw my $0.02 cents in and cloud the waters further. If cost is a consideration, look at Quaker State Enhanced Durability Synthetic Blend. It is compliant to the tough GM standard of DEXOS1, which pretty much guarantees it to be a quality oil. I run it in my Forester. Smooth as silk. Also, Quaker State is part of Shell Oil. Pennzoil is also a subsidiary of Shell as well. Quaker and Pennzoil are relatively similar products these days.

So the high milage oil will help clean out the motor and keep it clean is the main thing then

For the most part, yes. If using a full synthetic high mileage oil however, I would make the next oil change a shorter interval than usual since the synthetic may suspend a lot of dirt faster than previous oils, i.e. the high mileage oil may get dirtier faster if the truck has some grime build-up hiding in the motor.

Ok so when I put this oil in it might dirty faster is what you are saying from grime and dirt breakdown

Before I gave my preferences I researched them to MAKE SURE I was solidly confident in my recommendations. My recommendation is QS Defy 5W-30 Syn blend. If you cannot find it easily in Utah then Pennzoil High Mileage Conventional NOT the Platinum and if you cannot find that then Mobil Super High Mileage. All in 5W-30. I am a Syn only guy except in a case like yours. You do not need it to get lots more miles out of that engine if you change every 5000.

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to use a HM oil on a vehicle that doesn't have leaks. There are numerable synthetic oils to choose from, for your application.

HM oils are beneficial in vehicles with leaks. People need to stop falling for the propaganda. Do not expose your engine seals to HM oils, when there is no sign that their sealing capability has been compromised.

Originally Posted By: GreasyGrace
There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to use a HM oil on a vehicle that doesn't have leaks.

35.gif

I don't even know where to start...
smirk.gif
I probably would have fallen for Goebbel's propaganda too. I am SO naive

Originally Posted By: pscholte
I don't even know where to start...
smirk.gif
I probably would have fallen for Goebbel's propaganda too. I am SO naive

Don't feel bad buddy. Where I come from, we call guys like you 'easy marks.' And the oil industry counts on guys like you, to buy into their propaganda machine, to keep some of their oil products afloat. The oil machine has an 'easy mark' department. Its just called something else, administratively. lol

If I had that truck, it would be on Rotella T6 (5W-40 synthetic) until it turned 200,000 or developed weeps and seeps... If it's dry now, leave well enough alone on the HM's. The Rotella has all the detergent you can use and is a VERY robust oil
smile.gif

I'd try to find the biggest filter that will physically fit. NAPA Auto usually can cross-reference the threads and gasket diameter to look up the next bigger filter...

I'd run that for 5~6K changes and cruise on
smile.gif

I can tell already there is not much "grace" in your "greasiness." 6 posts in and you want to start something. If you knew my background easy mark is the last thing you would call me unless you are hopelessly stupid. Whatever makes you feel good, "buddy."

Originally Posted By: GreasyGrace
There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to use a HM oil on a vehicle that doesn't have leaks. There are numerable synthetic oils to choose from, for your application.

HM oils are beneficial in vehicles with leaks. People need to stop falling for the propaganda. Do not expose your engine seals to HM oils, when there is no sign that their sealing capability has been compromised.

Likewise there is absolutely no reason not to use HM oil in a vehicle that doesn't have leaks, it will not damage the existing seals nor cause leaks in the future. The manufacturers of the oil (the ones who know what they are talking about) tell you this in their data.

Propaganda is far more likely to be found from random posters to an internet board rather than the manufacturer of a product.

Originally Posted By: pscholte
I can tell already there is not much "grace" in your "greasiness." 6 posts in and you want to start something. If you knew my background easy mark is the last thing you would call me unless you are hopelessly stupid. Whatever makes you feel good, "buddy."

He's yet another reincarnated former member with a grudge, or one that joins for the mission of bringing enlightenment to the hopelessly ignorant of BITOG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back