Online Stock Brokers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Switched from TD ameritrade to Vanguard for IRA and brokerage account.

401K is with Fidelity and has lower expense ratios than Vanguard.
lol Vanguard fund annual fees are 1/3 to 1/2 the fund fees.
Just an example Vanguard Target Retirement Funds fees..... .17%. Fidelity .61% I could give you hundreds of examples. http://www.investopedia.com/articles/per...etdate-fund.asp

How about a few examples from you?

Thanks- hard to believe you remembered
smile.gif

It's under contract now and the second viewer put in a very fair offer.
I went with a realtor that gave my Mother a very nice appraisal on her house and he seems to
be a stand up gent. From a small local office.
Thanks!

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Did you sell your house yet?

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Switched from TD ameritrade to Vanguard for IRA and brokerage account.

401K is with Fidelity and has lower expense ratios than Vanguard.
lol Vanguard fund annual fees are 1/3 to 1/2 the fund fees.
Just an example Vanguard Target Retirement Funds fees..... .17%. Fidelity .61% I could give you hundreds of examples. http://www.investopedia.com/articles/per...etdate-fund.asp

How about a few examples from you?

He works for GE; they have a deal with Fidelity to offer expense ratios (in his company 401k) that are far lower than an individual can get at Vanguard.

Bandito,

Correct. Fidelity 401K through employer. Other companies have the same Fidelity benefits.
0.01% large cap
0.04% mid and small cap

Fig%2099_zpsbr5bcn8r.png

Makes sense. I had the same kind of deal through my employer. As soon as I retired..I bolted to VG.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
Overall, I think Fidelity might be the best just due to their platform and the combination of commission/fees, ease of use, tools, and choices. I wouldn't put Vanguard in the top five - if you trade,

Sorry you are wrong (IMHO). I had Fidelity for 35 years. Still have a couple hundred K there. But Vanduard smokes them hands down. If you have m ore than 50 K with VG trades are $7..unlimited. In addition they have mega ETFs that you can trade constantly for free. I keep $$ with Fidelity just to diversify.

I think a lot of it depends on how you use your account because we're talking about online brokers..emphasizing online. If you're a retiree, then it's simple and cheap to manage your account on Vanguard. If you're a day trader or trade relatively often, then I think Fidelity and Schwab offer things that Vanguard does not...including a much better platform, more investment choices, menus, ease of use, and the ability to do things with a mobile app that's better than average if you want. Vanguard doesn't emphasize those items in the same way and it's platform reflects that.

True, Vanguard has the $7.00 trades ( I think Fidelity is $7.95 ) but my opinion isn't necessarily based on who does the best in what...but as a combination of elements that make Fidelity and Schwab's online brokerage presence better than Vanguard's. In researching which one would be right for you, you're bound to have disqualifying bits in relation to your particular situation. Vanguard's online capabilities are less than Fidelity, Schwab, Merrill and others...that may or may not make a difference to you...but I'm not gonna sit here and say that one is better than the other for someone's particular situation...only to say that as an online brokerage, combining things like, cost, choice, ease of use, research tools, mobile app, etc., Fidelity and Schwab are stronger than Vanguard. If all I wanted to do was trade, I'd probably be drawn to the cheapest...which is Merrill depending on your situation...but as a whole online enchilada, I'll take Fidelity or Schwab over Vanguard.

I've used Scottrade, Fidelity, eTrade, and Optionshouse. My work has our 401k at Fidelity and our stock incentive plan with eTrade so it's easy enough to roll all my IRAs into Fidelity and my portfolio into eTrade. Optionshouse might be the best choice for day trading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back