Broken/Fogged headlight lens? No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
EpnwCEA.jpg

Pickle jars are so versatile, and this counts as recycling. #GoGreen

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
lol.gif
Wanna guess who I thought of immediately when I saw the headlight and the car.... GHT.

Me too. Hilarious!
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
lol.gif
Wanna guess who I thought of immediately when I saw the headlight and the car.... GHT.

So did I! That paint job, lol.

I think some of the early housings were glass, believe my bro's '87 Tercel has glass (aerodynamic) headlights. Civic needs a pickle jar for the other side so they match!

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I think some of the early housings were glass, believe my bro's '87 Tercel has glass (aerodynamic) headlights. Civic needs a pickle jar for the other side so they match!

I'm not really sure you'd call 80's car early, but back then, there were either round or square headlights and either two bulbs or one single bulb. Just look to the Jeep. I think they still keep round headlights because that's the tradition. But yeah, back then it was all in one and one heavy piece of glass. Then they kept the same shape and went with plastic, they were much lighter, but tended to scratch. The trend continues today, each ounce they save, gets them slightly better gas mileage.

There were some glass lens composite headlamps from the late 80s until the mid 90s or so. By the end of the 90s they were all gone due to cost and weight savings. Cheap and cheaper that is the credo of the modern auto manufacturing process. Actually there was a limited use of very hard plastic different from today called polycarbonate with another additive which made it as hard as glass almost a light as todays' plastic headlamp lens and totally resistant to yellowing (I have them in my 96 US spec VW Golf) but they were very expensive to manufacture and soon lost favor to the junk plastic they use today.

Last edited:
I did something similar when I had an accident "not my fault" while waiting to have my vehicle repaired. I used pop bottles.

Originally Posted By: Bud
And I see he used plenty of Alabama chrome.

You ain't seen nothin' until you seen the fine aluminum foil work done down heah
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back