Online Stock Brokers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vanguard - low fees, stable, long history, excellent rep., not greedy, great choices etc...

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
I'm not thrilled with mine.
Who have you used that you would recommend?

Have you talked to Chuck?

(That's a Charles Schwab reference)

I've used both Vanguard and Charles Schwab. I currently have both my Roth IRA and brokerage account at Vanguard. I don't do much trading though, I'm more of an index fund and dollar cost averaging guy.

What sort of account do you have? How often do you trade?

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Vanguard - low fees, stable, long history, excellent rep., not greedy, great choices etc...

this

Overall, I think Fidelity might be the best just due to their platform and the combination of commission/fees, ease of use, tools, and choices. I wouldn't put Vanguard in the top five - if you trade, they'll charge you $20 dollars a trade after 25 trades in a calendar year if you have less than 50K in Vanguard funds - something to be aware of if you don't have your portfolio or that amount with Vanguard.

In my opinion, Fidelity and Schwab are the two top houses in terms of online brokers that are more consumer-friendly and have depth of content and options. You may or may not need that, but if you need something on top of advisement, I think those two are the top choices for online brokers.

Thanks all. Just day trading.
A bit rusty but looking for a better broker.

Good luck. You'll need it.

Please be sure to include your bad picks when you talk about how great you've done. Similar to how my brother always comes back from Vegas a 'winner'.

I use Tradeking. Have had very good service from them. Easy web site. Low fees.

They bought my old brokerage, so I stayed around to see if I liked them - I do so I'm still there
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
Overall, I think Fidelity might be the best just due to their platform and the combination of commission/fees, ease of use, tools, and choices. I wouldn't put Vanguard in the top five - if you trade, they'll charge you $20 dollars a trade after 25 trades in a calendar year if you have less than 50K in Vanguard funds - something to be aware of if you don't have your portfolio or that amount with Vanguard.

In my opinion, Fidelity and Schwab are the two top houses in terms of online brokers that are more consumer-friendly and have depth of content and options. You may or may not need that, but if you need something on top of advisement, I think those two are the top choices for online brokers.

That is not true about Vanguard IRAs, it's $20 a year if you have under 10 grand, and those fees are waived if you sign up for online access and e-statements.

It's free to trade their ETFs. Stocks and non-vanguard funds are $7 a trade, and $20 after $ 25.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky
Overall, I think Fidelity might be the best just due to their platform and the combination of commission/fees, ease of use, tools, and choices. I wouldn't put Vanguard in the top five - if you trade,

Sorry you are wrong (IMHO). I had Fidelity for 35 years. Still have a couple hundred K there. But Vanduard smokes them hands down. If you have m ore than 50 K with VG trades are $7..unlimited. In addition they have mega ETFs that you can trade constantly for free. I keep $$ with Fidelity just to diversify.

I use both Fidelity and Scottrade. I keep a couple of funds that I use mostly for my own amusement. I like to make a few purchases when buying opportunities present themselves (like 2009/2009) and sell when the market bounces back.

It's over and above our regular retirement funds.

Your signature- maybe because you hang around what you love????
Not everyone is your brother. I simply asked for a consensus on good brokers.
Nothing more. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Thanks all. Just day trading.
A bit rusty but looking for a better broker.

Good luck. You'll need it.

Please be sure to include your bad picks when you talk about how great you've done. Similar to how my brother always comes back from Vegas a 'winner'.

I signed up with them a few weeks back- just getting used to them now. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
I use Tradeking. Have had very good service from them. Easy web site. Low fees.

They bought my old brokerage, so I stayed around to see if I liked them - I do so I'm still there
smile.gif

I have liked Scottrade. You could check for local branches on the choices and go in for a visit, see how they treat you and how professional. I have never had a problem of any kind with ST.

Switched from TD ameritrade to Vanguard for IRA and brokerage account.

401K is with Fidelity and has lower expense ratios than Vanguard.

Individual stocks are good if you are patient...

I use 3 brokers for my IRAs and individual accounts in 7 accounts total. TD Ameritrade, Interactive Brokers and Fidelity each have their strengths and weaknesses. Unfortunately, no separate broker stands out for all services.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back