OLM running down too quickly ? 2006 Buick 3.8l

Status
Not open for further replies.
My previous OCI was almost 2 years and a little over 7000 km and the OLM was at 40%, with 5w30 GM Conventional with an AC Delco filter. I changed it in mid May with QSUD 5w30 and a Fram TG filter. OLM was reset to 99%. I have only driven in the city doing short runs, once in awhile on the 4 lane for no more than 15 km. I have less than 400 ( four hundred )km on it and the OLM has gone to 94%. It is my first time using any Synthetic oil. This seems a little excessive to me. Any thoughts ?

Well I believe from what I've read that these monitors have a formula that calculates oil temp, engine load, engine speed, vehicle speed, air tem, etc.

Perhaps GM considers that type of driving severe? Short trips and city driving are considered severe, so that makes sense. Plus it's not like it went down all that much, it could level out quite a bit depending on the type of driving you start to do overall.

And has the car been to the dealer in that time frame? I read that GM has updated their oil life monitor systems on some cars because of direct injection, shortening the intervals. I don't think your engine qualifies though, it's older and not direct injected.

Don't worry about it! The OLM is a really cool system and it's not a mileage based system. It will count down much faster in town than on the interstate, and the short runs that you say you have done make it count down much faster. However, the car doesn't know that there is synthetic oil inside of it. I personally (in my 2006 3800-powered Buick) don't run it down to 0%. I change it before it gets that low. I would be willing to bet that nothing's wrong.

I never pay any attention to the one in my Buick with the 3800. It does not know what type of oil is in it. I use PYB and change it at 5000 miles.

If you're using a full synthetic in the 3.8L designed for conventional oil, IMO you're safe to go a thousand or two past the OLM without worry. Just keep it topped off.

At 6% depletion for 400kms

After another 78% depletion down to 16% life on it that should give you 13 x 400 + 400 = 5600kms for the OCI if OLM is linear.

Short trips sounds about right.

This is a guesstimate to help you feel better.

Last edited:
My OLM in the 3.8-engined '03 Buick Park Avenue counted down much more slowly on highway driving, faster in the city and during cold weather. I drove (and still drive) about 9000 miles a year unless I take a road trip, OCI at 6 months/4500 miles, and with the PA I usually had about 30% oil life left at each change. (Yes, I could have gone longer on a fill, but 6 months was easy for me to remember.) So mine, on average, dropped a point every 64 miles.

Yours is dropping 1 point about every 48 miles (converting from km to miles), right? That's a little low, maybe -- but you'll see a better result after some extended highway driving.

Listen to your OLM. It gathers several measurements of operating condition and records them and plugs them into a well thought out formula that estimates oil condition. Although not perfect, it is far more intelligent than taking just one indicator, such as mileage, and basing your OCI on just that.

If it's counting down fast, it's because the driving conditions have been hard on the oil.

Originally Posted By: TmanP
Don't worry about it! The OLM is a really cool system and it's not a mileage based system. It will count down much faster in town than on the interstate, and the short runs that you say you have done make it count down much faster. However, the car doesn't know that there is synthetic oil inside of it. I personally (in my 2006 3800-powered Buick) don't run it down to 0%. I change it before it gets that low. I would be willing to bet that nothing's wrong.

This.

I change mine when it gets about 15%-20%. I think the OLM is a smart bit of tech wish all cars had it.

No, it does not seem excessive to me. I have 3 GM 3.8 powered vehicles with OLM. I'm running bypass filtration in two of them and 5W30 Synthetic Amsoil in all 3. On my daily driver, I do UOA every 4K miles. I have several times simply reset the OLM when it gets near zero; per my local Mr. Goodwrench. Test lab results take precedent over the OLM. I have gotten 16-20K miles (25-32K) km before I didn't like my particle counts and changed oil. Oh, and my OLM doesn't seem to drop any quicker when I reset it without changing oil.

My OLM seems to drop pretty quickly after being reset to 100%. Get some highway miles and I think you will find different results. Do whatever lets you sleep peaceably, I'm just letting you know my results. I don't think you have any cause for concern.

FWIW, per Oil Analysers, (test lab I use), you can go 7500 miles/12K kilometers using synthetic before they even want to see an oil sample; provided we are discussing an engine properly maintained and without fluid leaks or mechanical issues.

I also agree with previous posters that the OLM does not know you are usinng synthetic.

Thanks for your input guys. I will get some freeway kms on it soon and see how that goes. We are planning a trip to Ottawa in September so we will give it a workout. I just thought it was dropping too quickly. I check the oil often and it doesn't use much, ( less than 1 Ltr )between changes. It is always topped up. That is the main thing. My last oil change was the longest I have ever gone, just over 7000 kms, and 23 months.
Once again , thanks for your replies. Always good info here on Bitog from great guys.

Your comments have nothing to do with the question asked, thats why we all ignored you.

Trolling takes many forms
Some are better at spotting them than others
BITOG, has gotten better at ignoring troll posts since you have started posting ... Go figure, huh?

I run whatever motor oil I buy which currently is Kendall GT1 syn 5w30 for owners manual oci or 6,500. Guess I am wasting my money eh Merk?
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back