What's up with the tall, skinny vans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see them all over the place, these tall, skinny utility vans with the 12 inch tires/wheels. It seems like most of the manufacturers are making them now. Some companies don't make minivans anymore, but they produce these. Obviously, saying they have 12 inch tires and wheels was an exaggeration, but many of them do have incredibly small diameter tires and wheels. What's up with that? Most vehicles today seem to come with larger diameter tires/wheels, why are they so small on these vans? And what is the big selling point for these vans?

Is it those Japanese imported vans? Eg. Mitsubishi Delica? Those are super cool, the only van I would drive. They are basically trucks with a full frame and 4x4 drivetrain.

The mini-minivans are quite popular for small deliveries. The NV200 looks like a dustbuster.

I a lot of cases there is no reason to have a E-350 for just running around a single pallet or hauling around a small amount of stuff.

Items to wide to stack horizontally can be stacked vertically in a tall van. Making a van "wider" can make it too wide for normal roads,

So why do these vans have such small diameter tires/wheels? They look goofy....

Last edited:
There's no reason for them to have a big tire. You can make a load range C tire in a smaller size - they aren't hauling anything too heavy. Smaller diameter wheels and tires helps in the city and they don't have to be geared really low to have power.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: grampi

Function over form.
A smaller wheel/tire also has a smaller wheel-well to take up less interior space.

Our vans are now part of the EU
smile.gif

Out with the guzzla and in with the utilitarian AND efficient. Even the GM is re-badging an "import" Nissan van as a Chevy Express.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
The Ford Transit Connect is made in a passenger version.

Posted before I could.

I don't see nearly as many "Dodge Sprinters" as I once did.

My first thought when I saw those was rollover.

Originally Posted By: OilyWaterMIXER

Posted before I could.

They only made the Dodge Sprinters for a few years. It's now the "Pro-Master" that looks like a fish. The front wheel drive full size van.

Ford discontinued the E-Series vans and replaced them with the Transit vans. The Transits have already existed for years in Europe; Ford just started bringing them here to the US as well. It's easier and cheaper for them to make just one model van and sell it around the world than to make two different models.

There are even passenger versions of the full size Transit van. The rear diffs are pretty cool on the full size Transits, full floater setup and all.

The tires are cheaper and easier to balance. Not everybody likes oversized rims either.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx

The tires are cheaper and easier to balance. Not everybody likes oversized rims either.

High profile tires also discourage fast driving, and are also good for curb hopping etc...

Originally Posted By: OilyWaterMIXER

Posted before I could.

The Mercedes/Freightliner/Dodge Sprinter is a pretty nice van, really, but even it is getting old and creaky by current standards. Since Chrysler split from Daimler, it is no longer sold as a Dodge or Ram anyway. The replacement is the Ram Promaster, which is actually a lower van contrary to the title of this thread. But that's because it does have smallish wheels and a super-low flat floor because its front-drive (even in 1-ton models). Standard power is the Pentastar, and the VM Motori Ecodiesel is optional. Its a direct competitor to the larger Ford Transit (not the teeny Transit Connect). Its really weird to me seeing a vehicle with 1-ton hubs and wheels but set up as a front-drive.

Originally Posted By: heynow

Function over form.

Egads!
shocked.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back