Good Oil??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone, I had a question thats been bugging me. I have a 1977 Volkswagen Beetle and i put Pennzoil High Mileage conventional oil in it. Is that a good and safe oil thats going to keep my air-cooled motor cool and not going to mess anything up? Thank you.

-Dan
smile.gif

If it's safe you want, better use a fulll synthetic like Mobil 1
in the grade your manual indicates is approved.

I would think about using a full synthetic. Full synthetics should do better at keeping the engine cool and help shed at least a couple of degrees I would imagine.

What weight of oil are you using at this time? has the engine ever been rebuilt? also for reference, Pennzoil High mileage is a really good oil. I am just thinking on a car where this is the only liquid cooling the engine, you would want the most effective cooling possible. There is also Pennzoil synthetic HM

I ran Delo 15w-40 in my air cooled VW's for years (no longer own any). Given the quality of current conventional oils and the frequency of oil changes most air cooled VW's see (due to a 2.6 quart capacity and no oil filter)...I don't see a full synthetic providing any big benefits.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
I ran Delo 15w-40 in my air cooled VW's for years (no longer own any). Given the quality of current conventional oils and the frequency of oil changes most air cooled VW's see (due to a 2.6 quart capacity and no oil filter)...I don't see a full synthetic providing any big benefits.

Nothing wrong with an hdeo in this car!

okay thanks for all of the great responses. i think I'm going to swap it out for synthetic oil.

Use a good dino, synthetic will tend to leak and burn more.. Im sure i will get flamed but if you have high mileage on that engine you will see soon into the oil change that i am correct.
Heard this story over a hundred times when i had my engine shop over the years people would say it started burning oil and leaking oil after i changed to syn.. Of course if you get a good quality high mileage syn that may be ok.

Porsche Classic 20W-50, that would impress your friends.
Otherwise any good 20W-50 like GTX or a HDEO 15W-40 like Delo, Delvac, Rotella, etc

classic-porsche-5l-oil-650x650.jpg

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Use a good dino, synthetic will tend to leak and burn more.. Im sure i will get flamed but if you have high mileage on that engine you will see soon into the oil change that i am correct.
Heard this story over a hundred times when i had my engine shop over the years people would say it started burning oil and leaking oil after i changed to syn.. Of course if you get a good quality high mileage syn that may be ok.

Use conventional oil in correct grade (with OEM approval if available) unless the engine has been rebuilt and fresh new seals have been used.

If it has had syn most of its life ok.

Crazyoildude is correct too many stories where vehicle switched to syn and now weeps or leaks I have personally experienced this myself.

With conventional mineral oil just reduce the OCI if you are concerned.

DON'T get sucked by the Syn is IN and it is best for all.

Some new BITOGers have over 200000 miles on vehicles and upon joining BITOG become disillusioned and misguided to believe they need to change the existing maintenance practice.

Last edited:
When first running Synthetic in the BMW, there was initially a slight consumption, which cleared shortly thereafter. Valve Cover Gasket was already beginning to weep and wasn't made worse by the M1 0w-40.

Fixed it, and replaced the PCV (which when removed of crusty stuff during VCG replacement leaked like a sieve thereafter). No more issues with the synthetic.

That said, any oil that meets the appropriate API grade, and perhaps any other relevant spec is fine. I'm no longer a synthetic fan-boy, mostly because of the huge price differential here in Australia.

As for intervals, follow VW's recommendation. Some BITOG'ers would suggest a strict short-change diet, others might suggest a UOA to ensure your choice of oil will last the recommended interval or beyond.
I say stick with VW's recommendation, period, for an old vehicle. For new stuff, extending is certainly doable, but needs to be done with evidence to back it up.

Originally Posted By: dandandan
Hi Everyone, I had a question thats been bugging me. I have a 1977 Volkswagen Beetle and i put Pennzoil High Mileage conventional oil in it. Is that a good and safe oil thats going to keep my air-cooled motor cool and not going to mess anything up? Thank you.

-Dan
smile.gif

Hi Dan - Pennzoil High Mileage Vehicle motor oil is a good choice for your 1977 air-cooled Volkswagen Beetle. It will not harm or “mess anything up” in your engine. This oil is actually formulated to meet the needs of high mileage vehicles. It's blended to help decrease oil consumption and incorporates a special seal-conditioning agent that helps reduce leaks. It also cleans out up to 40% of engine sludge in the first oil change and continues to clean into the second oil change.

Additionally, we offer Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage with PurePlus Technology which is a first of its kind full synthetic high mileage motor oil made from natural gas and is designed to
deliver less oil burn off than other high mileage oils. It's specially formulated to stop leaks from seals and oil consumption in worn engines, and also keeps your pistons up to 40% cleaner than the toughest industry standards.

Both of our high mileage motor oils would be great for you Beetle. Hope this helps!

-The Pennzoil Team

GenaFishbeck, Would there be any harm using PP High mileage with PP tech in a new vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back