Synpwr 10W30, Toyota 22re, Coolant contamination?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first ever oil analysis. I don't drive this truck much, only accumulated 1600 miles in the last year. I change the oil about once a year.

The lead was a bit elevated, but the sodium level was quite high. I am using Zerex G05 coolant which contains sodium and silicates. If this was leaking into the oil, would the silicate level be higher that it is?

I did a leakdown test and could find no air escaping into the cooling system. I did a radiator pressure test, and only lost about .5psi after about 10 minutes. This vehicle has had a very slow radiator leak for 20 years, I have just added a cup of antifreeze every few thousand miles. The leak has been so slow that I never bothered replacing the otherwise good radiator.

These engines often leak coolant into the oil from the timing chain wearing into the timing cover, but that is certainly not my problem. I replaced my chain guides about 70,000 miles ago and verified that they are still in good shape.

Is there anything else that could cause the high sodium other than a coolant leak? I do use Stabil fuel stabilizer in the truck since it often sits for long periods. I also use ethenol free gas in this truck. I don't think either of these would add sodium or lead, but just adding information for any helpful ideas.

Leakdown test results...
1- 13.3%
2- 16.6%
3- 12.2%
4- 10.0%

Oil pressure test was well within specs at 18psi idle, and 60psi at 3000 rpm.

oil_zpsaoaxijbf.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back