Skid plate paint

Status
Not open for further replies.
Say the title 10 times fast!
laugh.gif

While crawling around under my Jeep yesterday, I noticed some surface rust on my fuel tank skid. This is the .250 thick plate, not the earlier WJ "brush guard" that was .125 thick and rusted through by the way. I took a wire brush to the scaly parts and would like to paint it up.

I painted some POR15 on it followed by some undercoating spray about 7 years ago and that didn't do a thing. Anyone have any paint recommendations?

Happy Independence Day BITOG.
34.gif

Bed liner would be my first pick, going over a good metal primer. Even better would be a good metal primer, an industrial grade paint, topped off with a bed liner. It depends on how much time and money you want to invest.

Not sure why you'd remove rust. It was protecting the surface more than anything. Now the plate is just that much thinner.

My brother used engine paint on his XJ, the kind in an aerosol can. Can withstand heat really well and is really tough.

But he did it a month ago so we don't know the long term.

Originally Posted By: horse123
Not sure why you'd remove rust. It was protecting the surface more than anything. Now the plate is just that much thinner.

Not sure what you're getting at.

The scaly areas looked like they'd be great areas to hold moisture and salt when the winter came.

The area was already that much thinner because of the rust anyways.

bed liner paint. rattle can variety. I have it on the bottom of mine and it's good there.

Engine enamel, and pretty much any enamel paint, will be pretty soft by comparison.

duplicolor rim and wheel paint is also *very* sturdy, After given the 7 days cure time. You can use that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back